-

Photo

Astaire / Rogers Collection Vol. 1 coming from Warner in August

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
41 replies to this topic

#1 of 42 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,458 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted May 03 2005 - 06:51 AM

Slightly unusual; we were told by Warners that it was coming and www.davisdvd.com has the box set art...

Posted Image

...but no further details on the site. No release date, nothing, but you can see from the art that the titles are:

Top Hat
Swing Time
The Barkleys of Broadway
Follow the Fleet
Shall we Dance

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#2 of 42 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,930 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted May 03 2005 - 07:18 AM

Hmmm, can anyone comment on the quality of said titles? I still haven't watched the Broadway To Hollywood set, but I'm leaning that that set and the "That's Entertainment" box well be good enough for me and movie musicals that up until Warner put out "Singing In The Rain SE" was a genre I didn't even watch.

Of course, Warner well put on some extra features that well make me pre-order this blind anyway (like Broadway, Classic Comedy, Errol Flynn, Controversial Classics, Tarza, etc..) Damn you Warners! Why do you have to be so good at putting out classic movie boxsets!!Posted Image

#3 of 42 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,704 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 03 2005 - 07:27 AM

Hmmm, can anyone comment on the quality of said titles?

Warner knows what they're doing, especially George Feltenstein, when it comes to musicals. Without question, this is a great start as far as the first of two boxsets.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#4 of 42 OFFLINE   DeeF

DeeF

Screenwriter

• 1,676 posts

Posted May 03 2005 - 07:32 AM

Interesting... except for Barkleys (which was a later MGM, the only one of these in color), I would say the other four here are the four best.

Which means, perhaps, that Warners intends to see how this set sells before committing to the second set, which would have:

Flying Down to Rio
Roberta
The Gay Divorcee
Carefree (this is the worst one)
The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle

#5 of 42 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,458 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted May 03 2005 - 07:34 AM

...and movie musicals that up until Warner put out "Singing In The Rain SE" was a genre I didn't even watch.

Then this is a great place to start; my idea of heaven is a cloud, a pair of wings, and Fred 'n Ginger...
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#6 of 42 OFFLINE   John Stell

John Stell

Supporting Actor

• 857 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted May 03 2005 - 07:39 AM

Good God!! Top Hat, Swing Time, and Follow the Fleet are 4-star films, and Shall we Dance is a 3.5 film, at least according to Leonard Maltin's Classic Movie Guide. Yet another Warners set I will buy. THANK YOU WB!
"...you would not understand...You do not...have...daughters."

#7 of 42 OFFLINE   Jing_B

Jing_B

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted May 03 2005 - 10:11 AM

This just made my day! I won't be picking up the boxset but I will definetly pick up Top Hat and Swing Time. They have been on my wish list for way too long.

#8 of 42 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted May 03 2005 - 10:19 AM

yeah, i think i'll be skipping this set as well, however i will be anxiously looking forward to getting Swing Time.

although it has some great tunes, i've never been able to warm up to Top Hat, and the others in the set just leave me indifferent.

out of all of them, i suspect The Gay Divorcee is the only other one i'll be picking up.

still, this is great news.

#9 of 42 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,215 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 03 2005 - 10:33 AM

For anyone wanting Swing Time and Top Hat, pick up the box anyway. If this is priced like the Film Noir Warner Box, two individual titles will be $35, and the box will be $40.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#10 of 42 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,930 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted May 03 2005 - 01:39 PM

Nice, it seems like 4 of these movies are considered some of Astairs best. This is starting to get that "Warners Boxset Blind Buy" smell. And Brandon is right, the price of 2 is prety much worth the price of the box. This is what resulted in my blind buys of Errol Flynn (Captain Blood and The Sea Hawk), Broadway to holywood (Easter Parade adn The Band Wagon), Classic Comedies (Bringing Up BAby, Phillidelphia Story). And I odn't regret any of them! Well, maybe Broadway beause I haven't actually watched any of it yet (waiting for the 2 disc EAster PArade Canada got boned on) and CLassic Comedies which is on it's way with the EP disc.

Warners is repeatedly kicking my wallets ass with quality releases, it's a good thing the other studios haven't caught on, I'd have to get a second job!

#11 of 42 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,433 posts

Posted May 03 2005 - 03:07 PM

This is really great news. It is interesting that they are releasing all the best Astaire/Rogers films in volume 1.
Barkleys is not really a good film but the others are WOW.
Barkleys was to star Judy Garland and Astaire as a following up to Easter Parade. It is almost a sequel with
the characters married and the wife wanting to branch out on her own as a serious actress instead of a musical comedy star. Rogers replaced Garland when Garland was too ill to continue.
My guess is that Barkleys was included because it is in color.

#12 of 42 OFFLINE   Derek Estes

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted May 03 2005 - 04:18 PM

This is greawt news! I can't wait. By the Way I haven't heard anything recently regarding the Busby Berkeley Boxed Set that Warners was planning on releasing this year, But if that does come soon I will be in a flood of several of the greatest musicals ever in a few months! I would recomend this set to anyone on the fence. Truly Classic!
Helen: Jim! How do you live?
Jim: I steal...

#13 of 42 OFFLINE   RafaelPires

RafaelPires

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted May 03 2005 - 04:42 PM

Yes!!!
My most anticipated box set of 2005. Can't wait for the offical news. Loved the art work.
And looking for the 2nd volume on 2006.
Thanks one more time, WB!!!

#14 of 42 OFFLINE   LaurenceGarvey

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted May 03 2005 - 05:38 PM

I bought the SWING TIME and TOP HAT DVDs from France a couple of years ago, and if it were possible to wear out DVDs, I would have. I'm on this new set like foam on beer.

#15 of 42 OFFLINE   Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter

• 1,424 posts

Posted May 03 2005 - 08:03 PM

Great, great news. Despite the tremendous popularity of later musicals (and the inevitable mentions of Singin' in the Rain), to me, Astaire and Rogers are the foremost essentials in the genre (and of course, the drop dead awesome Broadway Melody of 1940).

#16 of 42 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,062 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted May 03 2005 - 08:56 PM

Quote:
Carefree (this is the worst one)

I think CAREFREE is more of a good screwball comedy than a typical Astaire-Rogers picture. I thought the script was pretty sharp and funny.

I'm surprised they didn't release these films in chronological order in the box sets; that way they'd split up the higher-demand titles. I bet they won't sell nearly as many of the second box as the first box. But I'll be buying both, as I'm a huge fan. Unfortunately, it seems as if the Rogers-less A DAMSEL IN DISTRESS is going to be left out in the cold. A pity, because, while Joan Fontaine is no substitute for Ginger Rogers, Burns & Allen take up the slack wonderfully. They're fantastic in this picture.

#17 of 42 OFFLINE   ChrisPearson

ChrisPearson

Second Unit

• 287 posts

Posted May 03 2005 - 09:47 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, it seems as if the Rogers-less A DAMSEL IN DISTRESS is going to be left out in the cold.

This would be a great choice for a Fred Astaire Signature Collection, if one ever comes to pass.

#18 of 42 OFFLINE   Joshua Lane

Joshua Lane

Second Unit

• 369 posts

Posted May 04 2005 - 12:04 AM

FYI...

Street Date: 8/16/05
MSRP: $59.92

#19 of 42 OFFLINE   Richard M S

Richard M S

Supporting Actor

• 630 posts

Posted May 04 2005 - 01:48 AM

I am just wondering about what the extras will be - as in commentary, trailers, etc. And will any of them be 2-disc special editions? Top Hat and Swing Time are certainly considered to be not just the best films the pair made, but they easily rank among the best films of the 1930s.

#20 of 42 OFFLINE   Steve Armbrust

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit

• 281 posts

Posted May 04 2005 - 02:17 AM

I am just wondering about what the extras will be - as in commentary, trailers, etc.

Word from the Astaire group is that Fred's daughter Ava participated in some of the special features, perhaps commentary.

I have been waiting for these two sets since I got my first DVD player. I can't wait to get my hands on them.

As for DAMSEL IN DISTRESS, I watched it again recently on TCM. It has some interesting dance routines, and Burns and Allen are good, but there's just not enough "Fred doing Fred" in it, IMHO.

Living in the Baseball Wasteland.

Forum Nav Content I Follow