Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

3/$25 on all titles is back at Hollywood Video!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
49 replies to this topic

#1 of 50 OFFLINE   Frank@N

Frank@N

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted May 03 2005 - 04:42 AM

Last time this ran, Chicago locations seemed to skip the sale.

As such, I was glad to see the 3/$25 banner hanging on my HV.

Picked up: Saw, Collateral, Open Water, The Terminal, The Village, and Harold & Kumar.

#2 of 50 OFFLINE   Frank@N

Frank@N

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted May 03 2005 - 05:00 AM

Some tips on buying rentals:

HV has mostly switched to clunky, locking rental cases.

These aren't fit for display on my racks, probably not yours either.

If you look carefully, you may find some shrink-wrapped (keepcase) copies mixed in on the shelves.

Was able to get all 6 movies in keepcases.

Also, open all rentals at point of purchase and immediately exchange any iffy discs.

Terminal was badly cracked and Open Water was slightly cracked.

Village had a worrisome-looking scratch that would probably not imped play, but would limit my possible resale.

Exchanged all three on the spot and got great looking copies in return.

Clerk was a bit annoyed that I wanted to keep the cases and only exchange the discs, but he'll live.

#3 of 50 OFFLINE   Randy B A

Randy B A

Supporting Actor

• 785 posts

Posted May 03 2005 - 10:08 AM

Hey Frank, That is the way I do it also except I don't worry about the case since I got a large supply of cases from BBV. I look at the disc and cover art to make sure they are in good condition.

I will have to stop by HV again since they did not have this going on over the weekend.

#4 of 50 OFFLINE   Frank@N

Frank@N

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted May 04 2005 - 01:17 AM

Cases have devloped into some kind of currency for me.

I don't want to buy new cases and never have.

I dump off my worst cases with trade-ins and then redistribute the good ones to generate more slack.

At any given time, I only have about 6 spare cases.

#5 of 50 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 04 2005 - 04:37 AM

Were they being strict about buying in multiples of 3? They used to let you buy any number greater than 3, but last time, they refused to honor the $8.33 price when I tried to buy 5 discs! (You can be sure that I bought 3, not 6 after that.)
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#6 of 50 OFFLINE   Frank@N

Frank@N

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted May 04 2005 - 11:56 AM

Quote:
Were they being strict about buying in multiples of 3?

I always forget to ask about that.

Too bad, because I was thinking about getting 'Ray' but didn't want to get another set of three.

#7 of 50 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,643 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted May 05 2005 - 04:03 AM

Any idea how long this will run? At one time it seemed to be forever, but at others only a couple weeks. I ask because a purchase wouldn't fit into my budget this month but maybe next...
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#8 of 50 OFFLINE   Frank@N

Frank@N

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted May 13 2005 - 11:40 AM

Quote:
I always forget to ask about that.

OK, went back for Alfie, Sideways, and Hotel Rwanda.

Clerk offered a 4th title for $8.

Quote:
Any idea how long this will run?

Who knows, buy what you like and sell off the rest.

I haven't bought a new release since 'Die Another Day'.

Just found out there's a 2-disc 'Terminal', bummer.

Alfie was just OK, but the Mick Jagger music and good extras pushed it over the top.

#9 of 50 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 13 2005 - 11:46 AM

Quote:
I ask because a purchase wouldn't fit into my budget this month but maybe next...

I'm in the same boat. But if it ends before we make it in, it'll be back before too long. Posted Image
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#10 of 50 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 13 2005 - 11:48 AM

Quote:
I haven't bought a new release since 'Die Another Day'.

Just found out there's a 2-disc 'Terminal', bummer.

For mainstream titles, I generally only buy those separate special editions that won't show up at Hollywood (like Phantom and Life Aquatic, which I got yesterday). Everything else, I wait for the previes. Posted Image

#11 of 50 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,576 posts

Posted May 13 2005 - 09:14 PM

As far as the cases go, I no longer hassle with them. Instead, you can get 100 cases for around $25 delivered from places like Supermediastore and Meritline. I just sprung for the measly $25 and now I will probably never have to fuss over cases again, or at least not for years.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#12 of 50 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted May 16 2005 - 09:17 AM

Nice, never knew that.

I don't fret over the apparence of my DVDs (don't even bother removing the stickers) but for that price, I might.

--
H

#13 of 50 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,643 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted August 24 2005 - 02:08 PM

The sale is back. Including the 3/$25 deal there is also 4/$20 and 2/$10. This time I just jotted down ones that interested me rather than try to decide in the store, which usually takes too long. Here are the ones I'm considering (ones with stars would be blind buys, which I've sworn off doing but I've heard decent things about them):

3/$25
Constantine
Million Dollar Baby
House of Flying Daggers
The Aviator
Closer
Finding Neverland
Wimbledon*
Ghost in the Shell 2
Beyond the Sea*
In Good Company*
Suspect Zero*
The Butterfly Effect

4/$20
Before Sunset*
Baaadasss
Danny Deckchair*
De-Lovely*
A Mighty Wind
Ripley's Game
The Cooler
Ulee's Gold
Talk to Her*

There weren't that many 2/$10 discs I wanted so I actually purchased Cherish and About Schmidt. Others that caught my eye were Spider*, Laurel Canyon* and Killing Me Softly (Posted Image).

#14 of 50 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,576 posts

Posted August 24 2005 - 02:35 PM

Regarding some of the titles you are considering blind buys on...

In Good Company is a rather ordinary movie, in a way, but it's also very sweet. Scarlett Johansson is already set as a big star, but I think Topher Grace has a real future as well.

Talk to Her is very European, but also just a great film.

Spider is also outstanding, though a decidedly weird film.

Killing Me Softly better be the UR version.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#15 of 50 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,643 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted August 24 2005 - 02:41 PM

Quote:
Killing Me Softly better be the UR version.
LOL. Good point. And thanks for the input! I actually have In Good Company from Netflix, so we'll see whether it passes the test.

#16 of 50 OFFLINE   Chet_F

Chet_F

Supporting Actor

• 777 posts

Posted August 24 2005 - 03:37 PM

"I dump off my worst cases with trade-ins and then redistribute the good ones to generate more slack."

I thought I was the only one that did that, i.e. putting the DVDs I trade in inside the rentals cases. Sometimes I get weird looks from the cashiers takinf the trade-ins. They say "All these are rentals?" like it's a bad thing and then I reply "Nope, just the cases." Then I REALLY get strange looks. I'm glad I'm not the only one that is anal.
"If you’re lucky, people like something you do early and something you do just before you drop dead. That’s as many pats on the back as you should expect." - Warren Zevon 1993, R.I.P.

#17 of 50 OFFLINE   Cory H.

Cory H.

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted August 24 2005 - 03:59 PM

Just the other day I knocked out "Hide and Seek", "White Noise", and "The Jacket" for $25. Some great, underrated films for an unbeatable price.

#18 of 50 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,643 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted August 25 2005 - 03:20 AM

Watched In Good Company last night. I don't feel a need to own it. I was a bit let down by the ending, but I think I may have been expecting a very different movie. Looks like I'll just be getting the first six on my list.

#19 of 50 OFFLINE   Cory H.

Cory H.

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted August 25 2005 - 03:25 AM

I don't want to go too far off topic, but are anyone elses stores participating in the trade in program they've initiated? Those are eligible for the 3/$25, as well, and figured there were some nice picks to be had.

#20 of 50 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,576 posts

Posted August 25 2005 - 03:28 AM

Having lived in "Corporate Hell" myself, I thought the ending was pretty nice. I realize it can seem like a let down, but I found it to be a refreshing change from the typical "Hollywood" ending. A nice little bit of reality.

The Hybrid System

Back to Bargains and Deals

Forum Nav Content I Follow