Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Jungle Book (1942) - Any good PD versions out there?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   RoyM

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted May 02 2005 - 05:12 PM

I'm not sure if anyone here is familiar with this movie, but it's a superior live action version of the Kipling story (liberally adapted as most versions are) starring Sabu, well directed by Alexander Korda, and featuring a terrific Miklos Rosza score. Sadly, it has passed into public domain over the years and hence will probably never get a proper restoration. A pity, considering that it is such a fine family-oriented action film, and would make a great double feature with Korda's "The Thief of Bagdad."

I picked up the Alpha version of this PD title sometime back and finally got around to watching it recently. Much to my chagrin, this has to be literally the worst transfer of a film to DVD ever. It's not just that Alpha simply transferred a PD VHS print, but that they apparently drove a truck over the VHS and passed it under a high powered magnet before they transferred it. The image was beyond muddy and the entire color tone randomly shifted from yellow/green to orange/red throughout the film. I own a few other PD titles (several from Alpha even) and none of them are anywhere as hideous as this one.

I did used to own a public domain VHS print of this film from Goodtimes, which as I recall wasn't too bad at all. I am wondering if anyone here is aware if there are any good (or even just halfway tolerable) versions of this film out there on DVD. I don't want to purchase another PD version only to discover that it is just as bad or worse than the Alpha version I have now.

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted May 03 2005 - 01:56 AM

Roy,

Absolutely one of my all-time favorite films...a true classic that belongs right up there with The Thief of Bagdad, Simbad, and all the rest.

I also own this DVD and am so saddened by it's atrocious quality...colors are so faded and detial is so blurry it's painful. It's even *worse* than Quiet Man for those of you wondering. Posted Image

I guess because it's public domain it's got this problem. I too would jump at the chance to purchase a DVD that does this wonderful film justice.

Maybe at HTF we could start a fund drive to restore and release public-domain films that get trashed like this. Has anyone ever thought of that???

Really!
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,648 posts

Posted May 03 2005 - 04:32 AM

Actually, MGM (the current company, just merged with Sony) has a really nice-looking print (from the Goldwyn portion of their film catalog) that has aired occasionally on cable tv in the last few years. They've released official DVD versions of other films that have been public domain staples (I BURY THE LIVING, HE WALKED BY NIGHT, THE LAST MAN ON EARTH, A BUCKET OF BLOOD, etc) for years, so it's not entirely outside the realm of possibilty that a legit DVD might appear from them in the future, not that I've heard anything specific about a THE JUNGLE BOOK release.

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted May 03 2005 - 04:43 AM

Great info!

Maybe we can dig up some contact info and put in a request...I think their website has some form to fill out for this purpose...
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted May 03 2005 - 04:59 PM

Quote:
Actually, MGM (the current company, just merged with Sony) has a really nice-looking print (from the Goldwyn portion of their film catalog) that has aired occasionally on cable tv in the last few years.

You "actually" think Sony is going too release a "nice-looking print" of a PD title???
Hope your right!!!
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Larry House

Larry House

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted May 04 2005 - 02:52 AM

There is at least one example of Columbia releasing a quality DVD of a public domain title: His Girl Friday

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,252 posts

Posted May 04 2005 - 06:29 AM

I am wondering if anyone here is aware if there are any good (or even just halfway tolerable) versions of this film out there on DVD. I don't want to purchase another PD version only to discover that it is just as bad or worse than the Alpha version I have now.

Ray, do you have a laser disc player? If so, there is a pretty gorgeous transfer of this movie released by Embassy Home Entertainment (accept no substitutes - other laser incarnations of the movie are as bad as the DVD's out there). Embassy's release has nice, saturated Technicolor and is sharp as a tack. I've never seen it better, and I've been through every conceivable edition of this looking for a great one (including an expensive super 8mm print). You can't go wrong with the Embassy laser, if you can find on on eBay.

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted August 15 2007 - 12:50 AM

How is the dvd for the one platinum disc corporation, released a few years ago ?
At last my body is reunited with my soul which was always feminine.

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted August 17 2007 - 10:55 PM

Anyone ?
At last my body is reunited with my soul which was always feminine.

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

• 330 posts

Posted August 18 2007 - 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
I am wondering if anyone here is aware if there are any good (or even just halfway tolerable) versions of this film out there on DVD. I don't want to purchase another PD version only to discover that it is just as bad or worse than the Alpha version I have now.

Ray, do you have a laser disc player? If so, there is a pretty gorgeous transfer of this movie released by Embassy Home Entertainment (accept no substitutes - other laser incarnations of the movie are as bad as the DVD's out there). Embassy's release has nice, saturated Technicolor and is sharp as a tack. I've never seen it better, and I've been through every conceivable edition of this looking for a great one (including an expensive super 8mm print). You can't go wrong with the Embassy laser, if you can find on on eBay.
Does the Embassy laser have "Children's Treasures" written across the top?
Across the bottom "Recommended by the National Education Assosciation"?

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,252 posts

Posted August 18 2007 - 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Cleveland
Does the Embassy laser have "Children's Treasures" written across the top?
Across the bottom "Recommended by the National Education Assosciation"?

That's the one!

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

• 330 posts

Posted August 18 2007 - 06:34 AM

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm hoping to get this one soon!

Is the color better than the color on "Thief of Baghdad" Goldwyn LD?

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Chuck Pennington

Chuck Pennington

Supporting Actor

• 857 posts

Posted August 18 2007 - 10:04 AM

Has anyone considered the Network R2 PAL UK DVD edition? I think the film is still under copyright there, and I'll bet it has a better transfer in all departments over the 20+ yr old Laserdisc....

I got THE DIVORCE OF LADY X (another PD title in the US) from Spain on DVD and the transfer is MUCH better than the U.S. LD, which had the best transfer of the film I had seen previously. The only problem is the Laserdisc shows a LOT more picture info on ALL 4 sides when compared to the sharper, cleaner, and more appropriate color balance of the Spanish DVD. :-( Why the transfer for that DVD was cropped so heavily on all 4 sides is beyond me...

Forum Nav Content I Follow