What's new

Question for MS Word Experts (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Is there a way that anyone knows of to have a document link to/embed part of another document? If, for example, I had two large documents, and wanted to create a third summery doc that was selected sections from the other two, is there a way to do this (and keep things up to date like any cross reference)?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My gut thought is to not even try it. This sounds similar to what the Master Document feature does, linking multiple documents into a master doc to create larger books. Master Document is notorious for destroying documents randomly.

That said, you want to learn about OLE, embedded objects, and linked objects. Search Word Help for OLE and you will find information on the topic. I've never used this feature, so I can't comment on its efficacy.

Keith Outhouse

Stunt Coordinator
Open a new doc. Copy text from doc1. Return to new doc and do edit paste special. Select link and Word Document object. Repeat with various sections as needed.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I think a more direct approach is to:

- place the mouse at the spot in the document where you want to create a link
- select Insert>Object
- select the "create from file tab"
- use the browse button to chose the file
- select "link to file" and/or "display as icon" as desired

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks