-Not Logged In-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Question for MS Word Experts

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

• 2,071 posts

Posted May 02 2005 - 06:26 AM

Is there a way that anyone knows of to have a document link to/embed part of another document? If, for example, I had two large documents, and wanted to create a third summery doc that was selected sections from the other two, is there a way to do this (and keep things up to date like any cross reference)?
XBox Live Gamertag:ChrisBardon

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   DaveF

• 16,342 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted May 02 2005 - 07:48 AM

My gut thought is to not even try it. This sounds similar to what the Master Document feature does, linking multiple documents into a master doc to create larger books. Master Document is notorious for destroying documents randomly. That said, you want to learn about OLE, embedded objects, and linked objects. Search Word Help for OLE and you will find information on the topic. I've never used this feature, so I can't comment on its efficacy.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Christo Ramo

Christo Ramo

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted May 02 2005 - 08:01 AM

I think you might be able to that with Excel or Access, but I don't know how to do it.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Keith Outhouse

Keith Outhouse

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted May 02 2005 - 08:16 AM

Open a new doc. Copy text from doc1. Return to new doc and do edit paste special. Select link and Word Document object. Repeat with various sections as needed.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

• 2,440 posts

Posted May 03 2005 - 07:37 AM

I think a more direct approach is to: - place the mouse at the spot in the document where you want to create a link - select Insert>Object - select the "create from file tab" - use the browse button to chose the file - select "link to file" and/or "display as icon" as desired

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users