-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Wayne's The Alamo; what are chances of the Roadshow version on DVD?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,435 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted May 01 2005 - 06:15 AM

I know, I know; The Alamo now belongs to Sony following the MGM takeover. I know that their record leaves something to be desired, but their treatment of Major Dundee leaves me with a glimmer of hope.

Is there a chance that Sony will look to restoring John Wayne's epic The Alamo to as near as is possible, its original Roadshow version?

I'm aware that the film has its critics, but I've watched it several times recently and there's so much to admire; the cinematography is fantastic, the stunts terrifc, the action scenes amazing, and it is quite possibly the great Dimitri Tiomkin's finest score.

IIRC, Robert Harris said that the original elements of the Roadshow version, edited out of the current cut, were destroyed. But surely there are prints of sufficient quality to work with? Does any of the footage shot by Ford still exist? The current DVD is okay, but could be better quality wise, and I believe this is a movie that does indeed deserve the Special Edition Roadshow treatment

Columbia's belated apology to Peckinpah is a magnificent undertaking and I can hardly wait for DVD this August. Now; can they treat America's greatest cinematic icon, John Wayne, with similar respect?
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#2 of 29 Jo_C

Jo_C

Second Unit

• 348 posts

Posted May 01 2005 - 08:12 AM

The way things are going right now, chances are absolutely nada. As it has been said many, many times, although the film does exist in the general release version, it's the scenes that were cut away from the roadshow version that's in bad shape. The more time passes, the better chances we'll see the roadshow version pass into oblivion. That is, if you don't count the fact that the roadshow version exists only on digital/analog video and shows up occasionally on TCM.

Calling Robert Harris...

#3 of 29 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,461 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted May 01 2005 - 11:19 AM

Well, as soon as Columbia has full ownership of the MGM library (note: this is UA, AIP, Orion, etc, not the actual MGM films produced before 1986), we need to make sure they hear the demand for a restoration.

#4 of 29 David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts

Posted May 01 2005 - 01:31 PM

What about the director's cut version (the one that is longer than the Roadshow version according to the Internet Movie Database)?
ENTERLINE MEDIA (entertainment articles and DVD/Movie/TV show reviews)

#5 of 29 RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,225 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted May 02 2005 - 12:57 AM

What about the director's cut version (the one that is longer than the Roadshow version according to the Internet Movie Database)?

The Internet Movie Database is talking about the video releases when they say "Director's cut" and "Roadshow version". There was a laser disc and VHS tape release that has the words "Directors cut" on the front cover. This is the complete version (202 minutes) with overture, intermission and exit music that appeared in movie theaters when it premiered. The "Roadshow" version is 192 minutes without the overture, intermission and exit music.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#6 of 29 Larry House

Larry House

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted May 02 2005 - 02:08 AM

See here:

http://www.in70mm.co...alamo/alamo.htm

for more details.

#7 of 29 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,435 posts

Posted May 02 2005 - 02:50 AM

Excellent link Larry;

"Is "The Alamo" one of the great films?" Harris asks. "No. Wayne himself said it was full of speechifying. But to my mind, it's the consummate image of American patriotism and heroism and the birth of Texas. I still remember seeing that film as a 14-year-old, and how do you let something like that get away from you so kids can't see it again? You can't."

That's a call to arms for Columbia to answer if ever I heard one. I wonder if Robert Harris would be so kind as to drop in with any updates?
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#8 of 29 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,352 posts

Posted May 02 2005 - 03:07 AM

Columbia is more than aware of the problem. No emails or other contacts necessary. Support from all is appreciated.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#9 of 29 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,435 posts

Posted May 02 2005 - 04:27 AM

Columbia is more than aware of the problem.

That's all I need to read; much appreciated Robert Posted Image
Film Journal Blog

#10 of 29 Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted May 02 2005 - 04:55 AM

I could never watch the current edited version. I've watched my 202 minute Laserdisc edition so many times it's the only version I know and love. Seeing it chopped down would be like watching it in pan&scan! Posted Image

#11 of 29 David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts

Posted May 02 2005 - 06:48 AM

Quote:
This is the complete version (202 minutes) with overture, intermission and exit music that appeared in movie theaters when it premiered. The "Roadshow" version is 192 minutes without the overture, intermission and exit music.

Roland, it would still be interesting to have the option of having the overture (at least), the intermision, and exit music (last two not that important) as an option on a DVD release of the Roadshow version via seamless branching
ENTERLINE MEDIA (entertainment articles and DVD/Movie/TV show reviews)

#12 of 29 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,037 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 04 2006 - 03:58 PM

it was on tcm yesterday in a 3:30 slot.
the info box shows it to be 210 minutes.

scanning through it runs about 202 minutes.

i guess this is the longer version that appears on the laser that some have netioned.
facebook.com/whotony

#13 of 29 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,435 posts

Posted March 04 2006 - 09:07 PM

I wonder if that a postitive indication; I would love to believe it is. BTW, I can't remember where I picked this link up, but I think it's an excellent summation - here.
Film Journal Blog

#14 of 29 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,435 posts

Posted September 01 2006 - 09:32 PM

Just giving this a quick bump; is there anything new to report?
Film Journal Blog

#15 of 29 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,325 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 01 2006 - 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
Just giving this a quick bump; is there anything new to report?
Haven't heard anything, but this film and "The Horse Soldiers" need to be revisited on either SD or HD disc. For obvious reasons, I prefer the latter format.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#16 of 29 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted September 02 2006 - 10:06 PM

I would love to see a better version of The Horse Soldiers as well
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#17 of 29 David_B_K

David_B_K

Screenwriter

• 1,440 posts

Posted September 03 2006 - 05:03 AM

Couldn't they at least use the laserdisc master to cobble together some sort of anamorphic DVD release? It would at least better than the upcoming Star Wars OOT.

Ditto the need for an anamorphic Horse Soldiers.

#18 of 29 jim_falconer

jim_falconer

Second Unit

• 482 posts

Posted September 03 2006 - 01:15 PM

After watching the laserdisc release of 'The Horse Soldiers' for years, I am estactic with the current DVD release of the film...much clearer then any previous version released.

#19 of 29 David_B_K

David_B_K

Screenwriter

• 1,440 posts

Posted September 03 2006 - 03:47 PM

Jim, do you have a 16:9 TV? The Horse Soldiers would look a lot better if it were anamorphically enhanced. It may look better than your laserdisc, which probably looked better than your VHS, but it would look better on DVD if it were anamorphic.

I still remember taping movies off late-night TV from crappy 16mm prints and counting myself fortunate. But times and technology have changed.

I agree that the current version is the best it's ever looked, but they could do better. Even the truncated Alamo is anamorphic.

#20 of 29 jim_falconer

jim_falconer

Second Unit

• 482 posts

Posted September 03 2006 - 11:16 PM

Absolutely David, I agree completely with you. But I watched this film so often on that crappy laserdisc release, that when the DVD came out, I couldn't believe how much clearer it was. Whereas the laserdisc had only one clear scene
(after Lukey gets shot by a snipper's bullet, and Duke stands up after realizing she is dead),
now the entire DVD presentation of the film is like that one scene. Would I like to see it re-released with it's picture enhanced for 16X9? Of course...but I'm very happy with the current release too.

Forum Nav Content I Follow