Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Broken RCA pin on Servo-15

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Ken Makela

Ken Makela

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted April 29 2005 - 07:51 AM

Does anyone know how to easily retrieve a broken RCA pin that is snapped-off (flush) on my Sub-in jack on my Servo-15? My wife was moving my sub, while I was out of town on business, last week. I just discovered this and I'm pissed. Do I have to remove the amp panel, and if I do am I able to push the broken pin out from the other side? Help!!!

Ken

#2 of 8 ONLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Screenwriter

• 2,782 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted April 30 2005 - 02:21 AM

Can you get it out with a magnet?

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted April 30 2005 - 02:09 PM

Sorry to hear that, man!
I would try and remove it from behind first, if there is access to stick something small to push it out with. Please be careful!!!! I don't know what electrical precautions you need to take beyond unplugging it.

Otherwise, befriend your dentist. If I couldn't get it out from behind, I'd drill a tiny hole into the center of the pin, thread a tiny screw, and try pulling it out.

Or, just have the RCA jack replaced. Good luck.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Henry Lambert

Henry Lambert

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted April 30 2005 - 11:20 PM

My wife = broken sub

Hey man take this and run with it.
HONEY it can't be fixed. Now I have to buy a new one.Posted Image

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted May 01 2005 - 05:06 AM

Either pick up a screw extraction tool set at a local hardware or automotive shop, or carefully drill a hole and thread a screw in like Ryan said.

I'd unplug it and leave it unplugged for a while so the caps can drop their charge before working on it.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted May 01 2005 - 01:10 PM

Quote:
HONEY it can't be fixed. Now I have to buy a new one.

That's brave! What if she said, "Too bad. Guess you're not using a sub for while"? And then next day you get it fixed and have it up and running again.

"But I thought you said it couldn't be fixed?"
"Uh......."

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Randy C Sr

Randy C Sr

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted May 01 2005 - 01:31 PM

It really should not be that hard to remove. Use a long small screw, threading it into the broken pin. Once you get a bite, pull it out. You should be able to get it out far enough to use needle nose pliers to get it the rest of the way out.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   dave2zz

dave2zz

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted October 15 2010 - 08:43 AM

I know this is a 5 year old thread, but in my recent Google search on how to fix this, well this thread was like number one (With a bit of a difficult solution).
******SO FOR EVERYONE WHO STILL HAS THIS PROBLEM HERE IS A QUICK AND EASY SOLUTION******

Removing Broken Pin from an RCA Jack

I recieved a free, working TV the other day. The only problem with it was the pin from an RCA video cable had broken off inside the socket. I didn't want to spend money on an RF modulator for my DVD Player, so I figured out a pretty solid way of getting the pin out.
1.) Find a needle
2.) On a hard surface, bend the very tip of the needle slightly so that it forms a tiny barb.
3.) heat the tip of the needle with a lighter until it glows red hot.
4.) stick the needle into the plastic core of the broken RCA pin
5.) wait a few seconds for it to cool
6.) pull the needle out, and the broken tip should follow!

Also this did work for me I used it on an RCA Wall Jack.

This was not my idea, original solution came from this website link!  Giving credit where credit is due.

http://www.instructa...om-an-RCA-Jack/