-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Toy Story 10th Anniversary Edition coming in September

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
100 replies to this topic

#1 of 101 Joe:C

Joe:C

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted April 28 2005 - 06:22 PM

Wow, this is a surprise. Here's the info from Ultimate Disney .

What's this? USA Today reveals that there is a 10th Anniversary Edition DVD of Toy Story coming on September 6th! This 2-disc re-release is reported to "bump up" picture and sound quality (a challenge on such a fine first release) with a higher bitrate and enhanced work from sound designer Gary Rydstrom. Pixar's first feature film will also be accompanied by brand new bonus features including "The Legacy of Toy Story", which interviews celebrated filmmakers on the movie's importance, ten deleted scenes, a new making-of documentary, early animation tests, and a new music video of Lyle Lovett and Randy Newman performing their end credits duet of "You've Got a Friend in Me."

#2 of 101 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted April 28 2005 - 06:41 PM

Awesome news! It will go nicely with the Ultimate Toy Box. Posted Image
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#3 of 101 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,698 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 28 2005 - 10:49 PM

What a great movie! I've got the Ultimate Toybox but depending on the new PQ and extras, there's a good chance I'll buy this one againPosted Image

#4 of 101 MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted April 28 2005 - 10:59 PM

I'll ONLY consider purchase if there is indeed an improvement in image quality.

Otherwise, any other word whether existing extras will be ported over?

#5 of 101 Sean.S

Sean.S

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted April 29 2005 - 12:27 AM

That's great. I haven't been able to find a release for the first Toy Story, so this will be very nice to have! Posted Image

#6 of 101 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted April 29 2005 - 01:04 AM

Count me as one who thinks this is a totally unnecessary double-dip. I grow weary with all these re-releases from greedy studios trying to milk every last penny from consumers before the new format hits. I know that nobody's forcing me to buy it, but I'm just tired of seeing this trend continue.

Apparently, the word 'Ultimate' doesn't mean squat.Posted Image
Recently watched- Tales From The Crypt: Season 1, 300: Rise Of An Empire 3D, Noah, Sin City, Phantom Of The Paradise, 300, The Final Terror, Willow, The Bank Job, One Hour Photo, Gone Baby Gone, Horrible Bosses, Buried, Escape Plan, Sudden Impact, The Enforcer(1976), The Other Guys

Currently watching- Planet Earth, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3, Lost: Season 1, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, The Walking Dead: Season 4

"That there is one damn fine coat you're wearin'."

#7 of 101 Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted April 29 2005 - 01:09 AM

The year of the re-releases continues, I swear this has been the worst year by far.

#8 of 101 RomanSohor

RomanSohor

Second Unit

• 360 posts

Posted April 29 2005 - 01:30 AM

It would be nice if they offered us an "upgrade" - I'd pay $10 on top of what I previously bought for a "superbit" quality Toy Story, with DTS.

I have watched so many of the Pixar titles on 60" HD displays, improperly calibrated, and they look fantastic... so when I finally get my HD Front projector to replace my old SVGA, I am sure I can get them to look great. I honestly don't know how many title's I will be re-buying on HD-DVD/BlueRay...
Roman Sohor, CTS

#9 of 101 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted April 29 2005 - 02:28 AM

Excellent!

I need to get one for my son, who's two. I love him dearly, but he's still not allowed to touch my Toy Story Toy Box. Posted Image
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#10 of 101 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted April 29 2005 - 03:23 AM

They'd have to do something pretty damn special to get me to double-dip on this title. I have the Ultimate Toybox, and I see no reason to upgrade.

#11 of 101 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted April 29 2005 - 03:57 AM

Just a note on picture quality. If I remember correctly, the current Toy Story (part 1) DVD was created from film since the movie was never created as a "whole" in the computer.

I would definitely buy this if I knew they were outputting the files directly from the raw 3D files. Hopefully we'll find out.

#12 of 101 Reagan

Reagan

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted April 29 2005 - 04:01 AM

If the PQ is actually better, I'll buy this in a second, given that I only have the single disc versions of the films.

-Reagan
The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.

#13 of 101 Joel C

Joel C

Screenwriter

• 1,635 posts

Posted April 29 2005 - 05:08 AM

Where is the Lilo & Stitch re-issue? That movie, at least, wasn't already an SE. It was supposed to be out in early 2004, then mid-2005, but still no word?
Joel
woemcats@hotmail.com
"Why I laugh?"

#14 of 101 Phil Kim

Phil Kim

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted April 29 2005 - 05:14 AM

As an Ultimate Toy Box owner, another Posted Image The only way I would upgrade is if it includes Blu-Ray or HD-DVD as well (hopefully the formats will merge).

#15 of 101 Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,472 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted April 29 2005 - 05:37 AM

Well, I'm excited. I never was able to buy the Ultimate Toy Box (I couldn't afford the $60 price tag) so I'm hoping this will port over soem of the older extras. Posted Image
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#16 of 101 Casey C.

Casey C.

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted April 29 2005 - 05:48 AM

Count me as another Ultimate Toy Box owner who will be sitting this one out. For the average consumer, though, this is a good thing. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe "Toy Story" has been out of print since 2003 (thanks to Disney's annoying limited-release practice). It will be good to see it back on the shelves again.

#17 of 101 Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,933 posts

Posted April 29 2005 - 06:10 AM

Here, I thought that the picture (TS2) couldn't get any better here they claim it can. Two things would make me double dip and send my twin collection to my son's room and keep the 9/6 release downstairs: 1 PROMINENT video improvement nothing subtle, and 2 DTS soundtrack. TS2 opening scene better shake the house down with a DTS track. Absent those two criterias, not worth it for me, very pleased with PQ on original double disc set.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#18 of 101 Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted April 29 2005 - 06:38 AM

Quote:
Just a note on picture quality. If I remember correctly, the current Toy Story (part 1) DVD was created from film since the movie was never created as a "whole" in the computer.

While that was the case for the laserdisc, I recall reading that steps were taken to make it purely digital on the DVD.
-Jay

#19 of 101 Massimo N

Massimo N

Stunt Coordinator

• 174 posts

Posted April 29 2005 - 10:07 AM

As an owner of the Ultimate Toy Box set, I will hold out until the HD-DVD or Blue-Ray version gets release until I re-buy. The UTB set is reference quality as it is.

#20 of 101 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,366 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted April 29 2005 - 10:22 AM

Quote:
a new music video of Lyle Lovett and Randy Newman performing their end credits duet of "You've Got a Friend in Me."
Thanks for the warning! I can avoid this purchase. Posted Image (Good song, but Newman nor Lovett thrill me.)

I've got the UTB. It would take a super ultimate re-release to merit a re-purchase.

Forum Nav Content I Follow