Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How do pronounce "FORTE"?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted April 27 2005 - 12:00 PM

I've thought that:
one's strong point is “fort”
a tone or passage played forte “for’-tA”

Of course, if you actually try the "fort" variation, most people will think you're ignorant. Webster's now says both are standard.
So, what to do? Try to speak correctly and be thought an idiot or go with the flow?

There is a third possibility, you could screw up your topic header because you're in a rush to watch Lost and end up looking like a complete nincompoop!
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,972 posts

Posted April 27 2005 - 12:10 PM

I think your definition and pronunciation is correct. If I heard someone pronounce "forte" as fort I would think they were ignorant.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Seth--L

Seth--L

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted April 27 2005 - 12:14 PM

a tone or passage played forte “for’-tA”

Used this way, "forte" is an Italian word, so you'd always pronounce as you would in Italian.
Well - There it is.
My Music Collection

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 27 2005 - 12:49 PM

Not sure what you mean by "Webster's", since any dictionary can call itself that. Merriam-Webster's Third International does not accept "fort" as a pronunciation. All their variants include the final vowel in one form or another. (Unfortunately, the special characters used to show the pronunciation don't copy. Posted Image The link below may or may not take you to the correct page, since the full on-line dictionary requires a subscription.)

Given that the word is French it seems as likely as the Italian musical forte to be pronounced with the final vowel voiced, not silent.

Main Entry: 1forte Pronunciation Guide
Pronunciation: f()r]t, -()r], -], -()], usu ]d.+V also fr]d.(), -()], ]()t
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): -s
Etymology: earlier fort, from Middle French, from fort, adjective, strong -- more at FORT
1 one's strong point : that in which one excels
2 : the stronger part of the blade of a sword : the part or half of a sword nearest the hilt -- opposed to foible

Citation format for this entry:

"forte." Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged. Merriam-Webster, 2002. http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com (27 Apr. 2005).

Regards,

Joe

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   MikeEn

MikeEn

Stunt Coordinator

• 120 posts

Posted April 27 2005 - 01:27 PM

From dictionary.com

Usage Note: The word forte, coming from French fort, should properly be pronounced with one syllable, like the English word fort. Common usage, however, prefers the two-syllable pronunciation, (fôr'ta), which has been influenced possibly by the music term forte borrowed from Italian. In a recent survey a strong majority of the Usage Panel, 74 percent, preferred the two-syllable pronunciation. The result is a delicate situation; speakers who are aware of the origin of the word may wish to continue to pronounce it as one syllable but at an increasing risk of puzzling their listeners.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   PeterK

PeterK

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts

Posted April 27 2005 - 01:43 PM

musically it would be pronounced for-tay
Vin Diesel will never, ever buy Bose

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   NickSo

NickSo

Producer

• 4,274 posts

Posted April 27 2005 - 01:51 PM

yeah, i pronounce it as Four-tay

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted April 27 2005 - 02:09 PM

Quote:
The result is a delicate situation; speakers who are aware of the origin of the word may wish to continue to pronounce it as one syllable but at an increasing risk of puzzling their listeners.
Thanks Mike, that was a helpful passage.
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted April 27 2005 - 02:25 PM

Quote:
If I heard someone pronounce "forte" as fort I would think they were ignorant.

Ditto. Probably best to continue pronouncing it 'four-tay'. I've never heard it pronounced 'fort' myself.
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   James Landau

James Landau

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted April 27 2005 - 10:45 PM

I've always heard that the correct pronunciation is FORT, yet forTAY is what everyone seems to use. On the assumption that the majority are ignorant and/or misinformed, I always use FORT myself since the dictionary lists it as a valid pronunciation. I've never been looked at strangely for doing so but I'm sure it will happen eventually.

I don't remember the title, but there is an episode of Unhappily Ever After that deals with this very topic. Throughout the episode, people keep using forTAY and Nikki Cox keeps correcting them and explaining why FORT is the correct pronunciation.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   brentl

brentl

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted April 28 2005 - 02:20 AM

I was driving in downtown Toronto the other day and saw a structure made of stone surrounding other buildings with cannons to protect them.

"We just passed a Fort EH!

Brent

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   RafaelB

RafaelB

Second Unit

• 448 posts

Posted April 28 2005 - 02:20 AM

I've got some friends with Forte as their surname and they pronounce it "Fort"...

Rafael.

Forum Nav Content I Follow