How do pronounce "FORTE"? (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I've thought that:
one's strong point is “fort”
a tone or passage played forte “for’-tA”

Of course, if you actually try the "fort" variation, most people will think you're ignorant. Webster's now says both are standard.
So, what to do? Try to speak correctly and be thought an idiot or go with the flow?

There is a third possibility, you could screw up your topic header because you're in a rush to watch Lost and end up looking like a complete nincompoop!

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I think your definition and pronunciation is correct. If I heard someone pronounce "forte" as fort I would think they were ignorant.

Seth--L

Screenwriter

Used this way, "forte" is an Italian word, so you'd always pronounce as you would in Italian.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Not sure what you mean by "Webster's", since any dictionary can call itself that. Merriam-Webster's Third International does not accept "fort" as a pronunciation. All their variants include the final vowel in one form or another. (Unfortunately, the special characters used to show the pronunciation don't copy. :) The link below may or may not take you to the correct page, since the full on-line dictionary requires a subscription.)

Given that the word is French it seems as likely as the Italian musical forte to be pronounced with the final vowel voiced, not silent.

Main Entry: 1forte Pronunciation Guide
Pronunciation: f()r]t, -()r], -], -()], usu ]d.+V also fr]d.(), -()], ]()t
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): -s
Etymology: earlier fort, from Middle French, from fort, adjective, strong -- more at FORT
1 one's strong point : that in which one excels
2 : the stronger part of the blade of a sword : the part or half of a sword nearest the hilt -- opposed to foible

Citation format for this entry:

"forte." Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged. Merriam-Webster, 2002. http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com (27 Apr. 2005).

Regards,

Joe

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

Ditto. Probably best to continue pronouncing it 'four-tay'. I've never heard it pronounced 'fort' myself.

James Landau

Stunt Coordinator
I've always heard that the correct pronunciation is FORT, yet forTAY is what everyone seems to use. On the assumption that the majority are ignorant and/or misinformed, I always use FORT myself since the dictionary lists it as a valid pronunciation. I've never been looked at strangely for doing so but I'm sure it will happen eventually.

I don't remember the title, but there is an episode of Unhappily Ever After that deals with this very topic. Throughout the episode, people keep using forTAY and Nikki Cox keeps correcting them and explaining why FORT is the correct pronunciation.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I was driving in downtown Toronto the other day and saw a structure made of stone surrounding other buildings with cannons to protect them.

"We just passed a Fort EH!

Brent

RafaelB

Second Unit
I've got some friends with Forte as their surname and they pronounce it "Fort"...

Rafael.

Users who are viewing this thread