Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Help answer an argument - analog TVs purchased today

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Brian Elwood

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted April 27 2005 - 08:34 AM

Are TV's being sold TODAY that will need to have the converter box when HD takes over? So if a poor family buys a TV, in a few years they will either need to buy a converter or the government will subsidize and give them a converter?
Public Enemies - Columbus #1 website for the movie

http://publicenemies...s.blogspot.com/

5000 hits a day!

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,251 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted April 27 2005 - 08:35 AM

Only if they use an antenna to get their programming. Satellite and cable users won't see any change. And there is nothing saying a station has to broadcast an HD signal in the future, just a digital signal. -Robert

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   Brian Elwood

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted April 27 2005 - 08:45 AM

However - MSN says
They are saying that all these TVs will not work at all when America is switched to Digital.
Public Enemies - Columbus #1 website for the movie

http://publicenemies...s.blogspot.com/

5000 hits a day!

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   John S

John S

Producer

• 5,460 posts

Posted April 27 2005 - 09:12 AM

It is true!! Any set without a DTV tuner will have to get one. Now, when this will happen?? Who knows....

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,251 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted April 27 2005 - 12:30 PM

MSN is trying to stir up traffic to their site using FUD.

Here are some quotes:
If enforced, that means that overnight, somewhere around 70 million television sets now connected to rabbit ears or roof-top antennas will suddenly and forever go blank, unless their owners purchase a special converter box.
Thus analog sets clearly need some kind of warning label, and proponents of a “date certain” say this will make the labels far more meaningful: i.e., “This television will no longer receive over-the-air signals after December 31, 2006.”
To continue to receive free broadcast television via antenna,

Many analog television owners won’t need a converter: 85 percent of Americans now get all their television from cable or satellite providers, so for the most part the change-over won’t affect them.

I can bet that they got the 85% number from NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) who is against this change-over. I think it is actually lower. Besides us HDTV nuts, how many people do you know that still use an antenna exclusively to get their TV signal?

For these people, predominately lower-income

I can drive through some of the worst neighborhoods in Memphis and there are satellite dishes everywhere. The rest are probably on cable (paying for it or stealing it). And it's not that hard to pick up channels in this area. I use a $5 antenna for my HDTV.

-Robert

-Robert

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   David Judah

David Judah

Screenwriter

• 1,479 posts

Posted April 27 2005 - 01:58 PM

They've built enough exceptions into it so that it could potentially be a long time before they shut-off the analog signals.
Lecktor: Then how did you catch me?
Graham: You had disadvantages.
Lecktor: What disadvantages?
Graham: You're insane.

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   John S

John S

Producer

• 5,460 posts

Posted April 27 2005 - 11:35 PM

Interesting enough Pres. Bush is said to be in favor of it, as I have read this from a few different sources. The FCC wants more coverage for critical disaster notification. I think this is the part that has the president in favor of it. Would be a bold move on congresses part for sure to enforce the current deadline or even to only mildly move it to a furtner off date.

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,727 posts

Posted April 28 2005 - 03:12 AM

You know, a problem I have with this loaded statement has to do with the stealing. Do you not think stealing doesn't occur in better-off neighborhoods? Sorry to get antsy about this, but overt generalizing just doesn't sit well with me.

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   Dick Boneske

Dick Boneske

Stunt Coordinator

• 132 posts

Posted April 28 2005 - 04:02 AM

The Federal government edict says stations HAVE TO broadcast a digital signal (not necessarily HDTV) by the deadline date--2006 or 2007. No one has suggested stations will cease broadcasting analog signals at that time. Nearly all of them broadcast both analog and digital channels now. Worrying about this is like worrying that AM and FM radio stations will stop operating because of XM and Sirius. As long as there are listeners, analog TV and radio will be here with us. I don't believe ANY TV's or radios will be obsolete--there haven't been any obsoleted in our lifetimes.
Dick

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,251 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted April 28 2005 - 05:23 AM

Yes, I over generalized but it is much easier to share a cable connection with a neighbor when you share a common wall. If I wanted to tap into my neighbor's cable it would be much more difficult. I'd have to run well over 100ft. of cable through our yards and over his driveway. -Robert

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted April 28 2005 - 08:06 AM

Currently, much of the UFH and VHF bands are wasted-- NTSC signals tend to interfere with each other if they're in adjacent frequencies. If, however, the stations all switch to digital television, the spectrum required will be somewhat less than it is today. The unused spectrum can then be sold off or relicensed. Some of that unused spectrum apparently will go to "emergency services", so there's a bit of "homeland security" element to it. At some point, the analog signals will be shut off. In the meantime, there's a phased in requirement for including atsc tuners in television sets, starting with the bigger displays. By 2008, all televison sets 13 inches and larger will be required to have atsc tuners (or no tuner at all)

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted April 28 2005 - 01:33 PM

By the time this is a problem converter boxes will be dirt cheap anyway. Remember, they won't have to output anything other than 480i. When my family moved from Sacramento to Fresno in 1966, our 1959 model RCA 21" black and white table model was totally useless. The only signal source was ota in both cities but the set only had a vhf tuner and the Fresno stations were all uhf. My dad went out and bought a converter box for $29. If one remembers that a fully equipped family car cost only $3k and a 3 bedroom home 15k, that $29 represented a much larger cost taking inflation into account than the converter boxes that will be necessary for the very few that are still dependent on antennas for signals.
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne

Screenwriter

• 2,406 posts

Posted April 28 2005 - 02:04 PM

Many of the HDTV's sold today (a majority?) will need a converter box to receive anything when stations shut down their analog transmitters! Because those sets are just HDTV ready.

Currently stations must continue analog broadcasting until such and such a date. Any chance that, despite an extension of the analog broadcast cessation edict deadline, stations will be permitted to cease analog broadcasting and some will voluntarily do so more quickly?

Video hints:
http://members.aol.c...ynejr/video.htm

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted April 28 2005 - 02:34 PM

A station can petition the FCC for permission to cease analog broadcasts, and several already have. One example is MHz channel 53, Washington DC
IMHO, a HDTV set without some kind of HD tuner, be it satellite, cable or OTA is a waste of money.

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne

Screenwriter

• 2,406 posts

Posted April 29 2005 - 01:00 AM

>>> IMHO, a HDTV set without some kind of HD tuner, be it satellite, cable or OTA is a waste of money. On the contrary, I wish there were bare bones HDTV's rear projection, front projection too, for those folks with satellite dishes, home theater computers, scalers, etc. They would not have comb filters, S-video input, analog tuners, etc. Persons desiring progressive scan display need to buy an HDTV. I don't think there were any consumer competitively priced HDTV's with built in HDTV tuners made prior to 2003.

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   Halen

Halen

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted April 29 2005 - 02:47 AM

Truth of the matter is that 67% of "wards" (the worst neighborhoods here in Houston), are in fact stealing cable. Time Warner, the provider here, has given up disconnecting cable from these homes. For one, if TW disconnects one home, it's up the very next day if not in a few hours. Two, if they take legal action it costs them a load of money (that they'd never get back), the city spends a load of money on court costs and court apointed attourneys, etc. And third, they are afraid of the image of a "big corporation" beating up on low income families that just want to watch some tv and be entertained. Granted you could argue that because Time Warner allows it then it isn't technicaly stealing. But that would be a loaded statement.
Never go on a blind date with someone you know!

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted April 29 2005 - 04:32 AM

I've thought about getting a dvi display for my HD tuner-- it's currently hooked up to a rather small RGB monitor. However, the displays I'm most interested in are for the computer market-- and those don't support HDCP.

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   John S

John S

Producer

• 5,460 posts

Posted April 29 2005 - 04:37 AM

Excellent point about not supporting HDCP on the computer stuff. I have a friend that has run into the same problem using computer monitors as of late, they do not support it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users