What's new

SVS Sub vs JBL PB12? (1 Viewer)

Chris Huber

Second Unit
I've heard everyone talking about SVS subs and how good they are? How much better would the 20-39PCi be over the PB12? Anything noticable? I have JBL S312II and S Center II for front with E10s and N24IIs for rear.

Also, what are the diffs in Cylinder vs Box SVS subs?

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
SVS is pretty much an upgrade over everything.....particularly when you're talking about dollar for dollar. I've owned four SVS subs, the latest of which is their entry level PB10. I picked one up more out of curiosity than anything, but ended up being really, really impressed. It even blends really well with my Magnepans, which are typically hard speakers to match with a sub.

At any given price point, I'd put an SVS up against any other sub on the market. I think you'll find that the reviews of their products substantiate that.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm surprised your PB12 is still around. The PB10 and PB12 were well known for having amps take a dump. In terms of sound, well...there's not much to talk about that hasn't been said. A 20-39 is so far out of the league of the PB12 that it isn't even funny.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Chris:

The difference will be both audible and tactile. Get the sub and don't look back. Order one and if you just don't like it you can always return it for a refund. Other than making some of the best subwoofers that money can buy they also back up their product line with excellent service after the sale.

Just pull the trigger and start enjoying great bass.

Parker

CarterT

Grip
I bought an SVS PB10-ISD to go with my JBL S312II's, S-Center, S26II's and S38II's setup. Once I got the placement right (with help from Tom V. at SVS) and calibrated it, I couldn't be happier. The SVS PB10 has no problem keeping up with the S312's for music or HT. I considered the 20-39 PCI but the PB10-ISD fit my room better. Either one should be a noticeable improvement over the JBL PB12.

Carl P

Grip
I read and post in 3 different forums. If there is a well known problem with SVS amps, I'm unaware of it. I've seen an isolated incident or 2, nothing that would be considered an issue, especially considering the volume of subs they sell. Any problems that I have seen (amps, drivers) have been handled so fast that the people that have had problems are larger SVS proponents now than before the problem.

Carl P

Grip
It all makes sense now, thanks John. Chris, periodically check Hardware for sale here on the Forum, also the Yardsale section of the Hometheaterspot, Audiogon, e-bay, and B-stock at the SVS website. You need to know how much you want to spend and be ready to pull the trigger as the used SVS's go quick, Carl

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I have not heard of anyone having a problem with an SVS sub or any other problem with their SVS no matter what the model. However if they did I know the guys down there good enough they would make it right in a hearbeat.. Thats just the kind of honest folks they are and personally I think they have everyone out there beat in price vs. performance in a sub currently. No compairison. To show you how different they operate..Two years ago I was wanting more slam to my movies, I already had dual NHT 12"ers with I think 800 watts each into them from the NHT seperate amps. They were good and did an ok job but just no tacticle presense at all. Firts thing Ron at SVS did was have me try different positions, stacking for a day and call back, trying other positions and call back, learn and calibrate using a rat shack meter and call back. The guy was trying to help me not spend any more money.... I wound up with a PB2+ and could not be happier. There is not even a close compairison between it and the dual NHT's. Ron wanted me to even go down a step but me wanting to always go one bigger chose the PB2+. I have a big room for my HT/Family room and the highest I have ever had it is half way on the gain and still there are those low LFE times when the hair on your chest stands up and you can feel the air moving in the room... Just love it.... and it cost me half of what the NHT's did 4 years ago.

Hank_P

Second Unit
I don't think it's fair to compare JBL to SVS. It's like comparing a VW Beetle to a Kenworth Tractor Trailor. It's not in the same class. Go with the SVS.

Hank
owner: SVS 20-39PCi

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Hank.. you got it buddy... Lots of folks just don't know how good HT can be unless they have tried a sub like SVS as there just are not that many out in the stores that can do it unless you want to shell out over several thousand dollars and then I still am not convinced SVS would beat them out with their bigger subs in the same league...

Chris Huber

Second Unit
What Cubic feet do you guys have in your rooms with the 20-39PCi?

Romm:
-Basement, 1000 SQ FT with theater section in half that space.
-Measures 28Lx14wx8h in the theater area.
-Two 10 foot openings that lead to two 10x14 sections of the basement on the other side.

Tom says I have about 8000cu ft down there, maybe a little less given staircase adn other things. Lets say 7000cu ft.

Tom was recommending a PB12-ISD/2. That would be nice, but it may be overkill on price and power. I wanted to try and land a used 20-39PCi for around 400 or so...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You have to consider the enire open volume of the room. 8000 is quite a bit.

12/2 would not be overkill on power, but price is another story. My room is about 5K cf not including an adjacent hallway and I'm running a PB-10. It really depends on whether you want ridiculous bass or merely impressive :D My room is 19x20, w/high vaulted ceiling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks