What's new

Should this be allowed in High School? (1 Viewer)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Dunno John. I think if they want to show they care, they can do something like volunteer their time at these shelters and facilities for battered women. While they're at it, check out the battered men's places too. I happen to think that wearing buttons does nothing and they're kind of stupid. Same as when you see a 'Baby on Board' stick up on a car window. It's a great way though to get publicity for the show and generate income for the people making the buttons and t-shirts.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Usually, in cases like these, I just consider the opposite. If I wore a shirt that says "I love my penis" then I would have gotten in trouble at school too. I doubt anyone would have made a stink then so I don't think anyone should now either.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
See, that just makes things worse for the students. It does nothing but show lack of respect. :frowning: It makes the students look like a bunch of babies. If the students can't act in an adult manner, then why treat them as such?

Chris

Senior HTF Member
*laugh* why I miss school uniforms.

I have no problems with the buttons.
However, if the play is showing locally (and it isn't school produced) it's an advertisement. In our HS, we weren't allowed to wear clothing that was an advertisement for anything (so, no Spuds Mackenzie, Coca-Cola, Wal-Mart, etc. shirts etc.)

Seth--L

Screenwriter

What a contradiction. Free speech is all about the right to say something that someone else might find offensive. Ask Larry Flint.

Putting that aside, life has become a parody of The Simpsons. Is anyone really going home crying as a result of seeing this button?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Maybe the part about other peoples rights, but the school can still be for free speech, yet still have a policy on what kids can and can not wear.

I'm all for free speech, but I wouldn't want someone wearing a photo of a naked fat lady to my work place. :D

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
If I were a teenage boy in that high school, my T-shirt would of read "My Penis supports your Vagina!"

I remember having to turn a tshirt inside out that I had worn one day that said Coors beer on it.

Paul

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Back when I was in H.S I would have probably raised a stink about not being able to wear my vagina button. I was very into contraversy, whether or not it had a purpose.

Now, if my daughter was in this situation, I would probably ask her what her motives are behind the button and if she really feels strongly about supporting the cause. If she feels strong about it, I would tell her she could wear the button anywhere else but at school/church. There is a time and place for everything.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I'd support the school if the student handbook said that t-shirts/buttons/hats were banned if they made mention of the technical term of a body part. School officials deciding out-of-the-blue that anything is suddenly "offensive", then suspend students "just because" always unerve me.

If you don't want students wearing something, write it down as a rule before it happens.

Its not like the button said "I (heart) my c*nt" .

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
That's true, but if the school doesn't want something to be worn, they do have the right to ban it. They just don't have the right to punish without the warning.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Agreed. Is that really all these bright young men can think of doing with vaginas?

Talk about a generation of pussies.

--
H

RichardK

Second Unit
For me these type of things always fall back to maturity. The administration normally does not give students the benefit of the doubt on how kids will handle themselves when it comes to school attire/dress code/appearance (including buttons, hats, shoes, haircuts, ear rings etc. etc.). The first check point should be at the students home if you get down to it. In my opinion the administration is in the right if the parents arent stepping in or whatever you want to call it. The K-12 school campuses are for learning; individualism and free speech should be IMO second on the list when kids attend K-12. I see college and university campuses as more appropriate places to wear "I love my vagina" type buttons and protest for/against. It is true that there are more progressive type HS campuses out there and my experience is that those schools are rather selective with the students that attend. Bottome line is, if my daughter ever tried to walk out of the house with anything but what the school allows, then she will be punished accordlingly. If she happens to make it to school and then is sent home, then again punishment will come down, HARD!

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

No it's not. The right to free speech does not deny the need to control where the free speech may take place.

Let's take an example. Two consenting adults have the perfect right to tell each other erotic stories. In private, this is fine. In front of other adults who know what to expect and are consenting; again, fine. In a public place (e.g. on an airplane) it's not fine, because the talk may cause offense to others. In a public place with children, it's actually illegal. Does that mean that the right to free speech about sex is being denied? Of course not. In the same way, the law in many US states allows people to own guns and fire them in certain places. But in others, it's illegal. Is this denying people the right to own and fire guns? No - it's just placing a sensible pragmatic control on where they are used.

In this particular instance, the Principal of the school is acting in loco parentis, and judging what minors at the school might be shocked by. Accordingly, she has imposed a ban. Note she is not saying that the students are supporting an unjust cause, purely that their expression of beliefs may cause offense to some people. This isn't denying free speech, just placing pragmatic limitations on where it may be exercised.

Personally, were I a teenager and wanting to protest about violence against women, I can think of better methods of raising awareness than what appears to me to be trivialising it in this way.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
it sounds like you need to read the definition of the first amendment. it starts "congress shall make no law...", and that's all it does, prevents congress from passing laws.

i support the school in this one, the students are ONLY wearing the shirts in protest, to prove a point. a school should be able to enforce their (reasonable) rules, dress code or otherwise, as they wish.

CJ

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
That and some misguided thought that wearing buttons and tshirts somehow change things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks