What's new

JAG ending after 10 years and 227 missions! (1 Viewer)

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
I just found out that the series finale for JAG is airing this friday (April 29th!) does anyone know why it has been cancelled? I've heard it was raking in at least 11 million viewers on Friday.

This news saddens me.

Chuck_W

Second Unit
For starters, they decided to not renew David James Elliott's contract. There was some gossip about continuing the show without him...but guess not.

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
Well the last episode had in the closing moments Mac (when did she become a Colonel?) reassigned to JAG HQ - South West (San Diego) and Harm to Europe (I think it was London).

I heard that they wanted to spin it off with JAG: San Diego, hence the episode with the same title a few months back.

Matt Goddard

Stunt Coordinator
I believe Elliott decided to leave on his own. He's now got a development deal with ABC/Touchstone.

Ratings for JAG were down this year, but I believe it still won its time slot. The problem for the show is that it has an older audience that isn't popular with advertisers. That may not be fair, but that's how the networks work.

I hate to admit it, but after 10 years the show has been showing some age. Fortunately, Catherine Bell still looks good. :D

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
Well I thought that the show could go on without Rabb. Roberts has shown himself as a good lawyer. It just seemed like there are a lot of loose ends this season. I assume they were supposed to be stories that would have wrapped up if JAG went to San Diego.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter

Yeah, I finally get a front projector and a HiDef OTA tuner, and they cancel the show. :frowning:

The last few shows haven't been very exciting, with the exception of the one where Vukovic was sent to Iraq, but the picture was great.

Chuck_W

Second Unit

He does have a deal with ABC, but according to TV Guide:

"David James Elliott did not jump ship; he was forced to walk the plank."

Says Donald Bellisario (JAGs creator) "His contract was up, and we never expected it to go on. We had to cut costs."

Elliott's response "It's very sad it had to end this way with my partner Don Bellisario feeling the way he feels after such an incredible run. I feel grateful and fortunate for this past decade and the experience that was JAG."

Julian Reville

Screenwriter

Well, canceling the show, which is sort of what they did when they gave David James Elliott the boot, is a heck of a way to cut costs. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
I thought that was the reason that Vukovic was brought in... although I wish they could have brought Sturgess into the light a bit more in the last season.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter

Agreed. While this show has showcased David James Elliott and Catherine Bell, everyone else seems to be mostly bit players, with the occasional bigger role for Bud, Sturgiss, or the former JAG, Adm Chegwidden.

Look how many supporting actors have come and gone over the years.

Vukovic didn't stand a chance from the get-go. He's not tall enough to fit Bellisario's criteria for a leading man. :)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I don't see the ending coming out the way we expect it to.
How can they get married and split? Yuck!

What I see is this
1. They resign their commissions
2. Get married
3. Buy a house
4. Bring Mattie home
5. (unseen) make more babies! :)

Glenn

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
That whole Mattie thing is what makes me wonder. Harm will not leave her behind epecially since her father is MIA. Its the whole father-figure for the kid thing that Harm has been doing since that kid who was the son of his best friend.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
What's the deal with Mattie anyway? I saw the most recent episode without seeing anything since the season premiere, so I'm confused. Especially since there is no St. Vincent's Hospital in Blacksburg.

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
You know whats ironic... Third Watch (a show that people thought would get cancelled because its going up against JAG) is also getting cancelled. Looks like CBS and NBC will have empty slots on Fridays at 9.

Mark Maltais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I remember reading a while back that the yukovic thing was a trial run. Obviously it didn't catch on so they decided to cancel the show. DJE left over money, he wanted more, CBS refused then he went for the developmental deal with ABC(this was in several newspapers).

Too bad, this was a favorite of mine for a while but it has gone downhill recently, although still enjoyable. I'm catching the repeats on the History Channel...WOW when you look at DJE back then he sure looked a lot younger than now...hard to believe what 10 years can do to ya.

They only got a few episodes to wrap this up...all I gotta say is I better see Catherine Bell in the sack with Rabb. They been teasing us with this for a decade!!!, well nine years really I guess :)

Lots of shows gone this year...nypd, third watch, jag, enterprise :frowning: Haven't heard of any kind of replacements yet. If it wasn't for all the law & order's and 24 I'd be forced to watch reality tv!

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
Enterprise and JAG are two of my favorite shows and they're both going.

Mark, I'm watching the reruns on History Channel... loved the one yesterday with McHale. They don't have a few episodes to wrap things up. They have one this friday. Its really sad, I think its only an hour. How can they wrap things up nicely like this?

About the Harm and Mac relationship, hasn't it been past five years yet?

I really hope they do some sort of TV movie in the future, this show deserves a real proper send off. I hope we see Bud on NCIS sometimes.

Matt Goddard

Stunt Coordinator

Yes, it has been. I don't remember the context, but I believe one of them mentioned that fact to the other earlier this season.

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
So who watched it.... I was actually suprised about the ending.. which kind of makes me wish the show would go on.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Just because nothing else was on, I watched this series finale. I've never sat through a single episode of JAG in the past decade, and I can't say I would have enjoyed this show had I watched them in the past.

I thought the show was sort of a yawner, and the ending was a little lame.

Mark Maltais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
The ep was typical of eps this year, when in it's hayday this was a GREAT show. Oh well now that it's done, maybe the DVD's won't be far off?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks