Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

A few words about... National Treasure

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,320 posts

Posted April 22 2005 - 03:57 PM

I seldom write about new films, and generally wait for a bit of bottle age and sediment to settle in.

The film critic with whom I almost always agree, Roger Ebert, wasn't a fan of National Treasure.

Boxoffice's Wade Major, another solid set of eyes and ears also wasn't amused.

Entertainment Magazine rated it "C."

Possibly because I find the period of the American Revolution addictive; possibly because I enjoy archaeology and research, with an archival background; possibly because of a familial kinship to the Declaration of Independence...

Possibly because I needed a good dose of fun, relaxing cinema...

I found the DVD presentation of National Treasure a delight. From the over-plotted and sometimes improbable storyline to the beauty of Caleb Deschanel's cinematography, I enjoyed every moment.

For lovers of good old-fashioned adventure, from my camp, National Treasure comes highly recommended.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 33 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,753 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 22 2005 - 04:02 PM

This is a film I missed at the theater.

I, too, am quite interested in the American Revolution and this nation's founders. I am looking forward to giving National Treasure a try. Am especially pleased to hear Robert's Posted Image for the cinematography.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#3 of 33 David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted April 22 2005 - 06:40 PM

I really enjoyed this film and I despise and loathe Nicolas Cage (Posted Image), so that's saying a lot (The only other film that he's in that I liked was Raising Arizona). I'm nuts about the American Revolution, so I don't know why I was so shocked that I liked Treasure. I'm really looking forward to May 3rd! (more for Phantom but that's another thread...)

Bottom line: It's a real solid movie, nothing truly great but really enjoyable. Posted Image
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#4 of 33 Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted April 23 2005 - 04:01 AM

Saw this one in the theater with my wife and we both enjoyed it tremendously. Already have the DVD pre-ordered. As I posted in the review thread when this movie came out, Cage was in his "Stanley Goodspeed" mode from THE ROCK, and that ain't too bad on him.
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#5 of 33 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,853 posts

Posted April 23 2005 - 06:12 AM

I also enjoyed it. I also thought the following (for those who have seen it)
I have always hoped that some treasury of artifacts would be found like this. I felt the same way when Seaquest did an episode where they found a part of the Library of Alexandria. Which contained lost works of Greek writers. This is the time where I had hoped life imitated art.

Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#6 of 33 Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter

• 1,105 posts

Posted April 23 2005 - 08:33 AM

I totally agree with Robert about National Treasure. We saw it in the theater (an increasing rarity for my wife and me). Thoroughly enjoyable, and it reminded me of why I love the books of Clive Cussler, which share a similar vibe with National Treasure. Adventure with historical twists. This one goes in my collection.

#7 of 33 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted April 23 2005 - 03:46 PM

It is what it is: a solid action film. The plot gets more preposterous as the movie goes on, but it is at least fun.

Jason

#8 of 33 John Mansor

John Mansor

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted April 23 2005 - 03:56 PM

This movie had an interesting box office run.

It gets slammed by most critics.

But for some reason it stays in the box office top ten for several weeks.

So I decided to check it out wondering where the disconnect occurred between critics and fans (not that it is uncommon for a movie to be panned and still popular with movie-goers).

I really love the movie, I also enjoy history and the American Revolution. The critics probably hated the outrageous plot, but if you can just sit back and enjoy without over-analyzing most should enjoy it.

#9 of 33 Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson

Screenwriter

• 1,914 posts

Posted April 23 2005 - 04:09 PM

Cage was in his "Stanley Goodspeed" mode from THE ROCK, and that ain't too bad on him.

That's all I had to hear. The Rock is one of my top 3 'movies for guys who like movies' along with AOTC and The Italian Job. Thanks Robert, I'll definitely put it on my to buy list Posted Image

#10 of 33 Casey C.

Casey C.

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted April 23 2005 - 06:21 PM

Robert Harris writing about "National Treasure"? What's next, Criterion putting out an edition of "Armageddon"?!?

Posted Image

#11 of 33 PeterTHX

PeterTHX

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts

Posted April 23 2005 - 08:22 PM

Quote:
What's next, Criterion putting out an edition of "Armageddon"?!?

No. A Criterion "National Treasure"! Posted Image

(Disney COULD license it out to them, the same way they did "The Rock")

#12 of 33 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,051 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted April 24 2005 - 02:10 AM

So, how was the transfer....since this IS the SOFTWARE section?Posted Image

Missed this in theaters despite having the same interests Mr. Harris listed.

Looking forward to it.
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#13 of 33 Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,338 posts

Posted April 24 2005 - 11:44 AM

You are not alone. I watched this 3 days ago and want to see it again. I enjoyed watching it.
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

#14 of 33 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,539 posts

Posted April 25 2005 - 04:20 AM

Sold! Posted Image

#15 of 33 MikeEckman

MikeEckman

Screenwriter

• 1,087 posts

Posted April 26 2005 - 02:32 AM

Although I did enjoy National Treasure more than I expected to in a "check your brain at the door" type of way, this movie was about as authentic as the Patriot was. Both were decent action films, but nothing I would recommend to be viewed in a US History class.
Mike Eckman
Chicago Heights, IL
Music Webpage: http://www.metalreviewcentre.com
Car Webpage: http://www.metalrevi...com/transam.htm

#16 of 33 Stephen Brooks

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit

• 330 posts
  • LocationBrownsburg, IN

Posted April 26 2005 - 05:16 AM

It's a cliche, but National Treasure truly is the kind of movie they don't make anymore. It's a safe, clean, fun adventure movie, one that parents can feel totally comfortable taking their kids too and still enjoy themselves. We haven't really seen this kind of film since the early days of Lucas and Spielburg. Not that it's on quite that level of quality, but that's the kind of vibe I got while watching it.

It's proof that you CAN still make a decent movie at the PG level. Sex, drugs, swearing, and constant envelope-pushing violence are not prerequisites to a decent story. Not that I'm a prude or anything, but this was a refreshing change that reaffirmed my faith in human nature just a bit.

And then I saw Sin City. LOL
IMPERIAL OFFICER: Lord Vader, I can't find the Central Navigational Network!

VADER (points to control panel): This......is CNN.

#17 of 33 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted April 26 2005 - 05:54 AM

Quote:
We haven't really seen this kind of film since the early days of Lucas and Spielburg. Not that it's on quite that level of quality, but that's the kind of vibe I got while watching it.

Actually, I can say the same for "Pirates Of The Carribean", plus it is a better film to boot.

One thing I did like about "National Treasure" is that it looks like they shot most of the stuff on location. It was nice to see a movie that takes place in DC actually BE in DC.

Jason

#18 of 33 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,051 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted April 26 2005 - 08:03 AM

Quote:
So, how was the transfer....since this IS the SOFTWARE section?

Anyone???Posted Image
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#19 of 33 Scott Shanks

Scott Shanks

Second Unit

• 381 posts
  • LocationLouisville, Ky

Posted April 26 2005 - 08:38 AM

Here is a link to a review of the disk:
National Treasure Review
Scott Shanks
Louisville, KY
My DVD Collection

#20 of 33 Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor

• 781 posts

Posted April 26 2005 - 10:22 AM

I enjoyed the film slightly less than Sahara...but what I found particularly refreshing was that the film makers actually seemed to make a conscious decision to exlude the normal vulgarity and sexuality...making this one of the truly few films of 1994 to which I would take any age of children.

Looking forward to the DVD.
Peter

My Collection

Forum Nav Content I Follow