What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... National Treasure (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I seldom write about new films, and generally wait for a bit of bottle age and sediment to settle in.

The film critic with whom I almost always agree, Roger Ebert, wasn't a fan of National Treasure.

Boxoffice's Wade Major, another solid set of eyes and ears also wasn't amused.

Entertainment Magazine rated it "C."

Possibly because I find the period of the American Revolution addictive; possibly because I enjoy archaeology and research, with an archival background; possibly because of a familial kinship to the Declaration of Independence...

Possibly because I needed a good dose of fun, relaxing cinema...

I found the DVD presentation of National Treasure a delight. From the over-plotted and sometimes improbable storyline to the beauty of Caleb Deschanel's cinematography, I enjoyed every moment.

For lovers of good old-fashioned adventure, from my camp, National Treasure comes highly recommended.

RAH

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is a film I missed at the theater.

I, too, am quite interested in the American Revolution and this nation's founders. I am looking forward to giving National Treasure a try. Am especially pleased to hear Robert's :emoji_thumbsup: for the cinematography.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I really enjoyed this film and I despise and loathe Nicolas Cage (:angry:), so that's saying a lot (The only other film that he's in that I liked was Raising Arizona). I'm nuts about the American Revolution, so I don't know why I was so shocked that I liked Treasure. I'm really looking forward to May 3rd! (more for Phantom but that's another thread...)

Bottom line: It's a real solid movie, nothing truly great but really enjoyable. :)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Saw this one in the theater with my wife and we both enjoyed it tremendously. Already have the DVD pre-ordered. As I posted in the review thread when this movie came out, Cage was in his "Stanley Goodspeed" mode from THE ROCK, and that ain't too bad on him.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I also enjoyed it. I also thought the following (for those who have seen it)
I have always hoped that some treasury of artifacts would be found like this. I felt the same way when Seaquest did an episode where they found a part of the Library of Alexandria. Which contained lost works of Greek writers. This is the time where I had hoped life imitated art.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I totally agree with Robert about National Treasure. We saw it in the theater (an increasing rarity for my wife and me). Thoroughly enjoyable, and it reminded me of why I love the books of Clive Cussler, which share a similar vibe with National Treasure. Adventure with historical twists. This one goes in my collection.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
It is what it is: a solid action film. The plot gets more preposterous as the movie goes on, but it is at least fun.

Jason

John Mansor

Stunt Coordinator
This movie had an interesting box office run.

It gets slammed by most critics.

But for some reason it stays in the box office top ten for several weeks.

So I decided to check it out wondering where the disconnect occurred between critics and fans (not that it is uncommon for a movie to be panned and still popular with movie-goers).

I really love the movie, I also enjoy history and the American Revolution. The critics probably hated the outrageous plot, but if you can just sit back and enjoy without over-analyzing most should enjoy it.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

That's all I had to hear. The Rock is one of my top 3 'movies for guys who like movies' along with AOTC and The Italian Job. Thanks Robert, I'll definitely put it on my to buy list :)

Casey C.

Stunt Coordinator
Robert Harris writing about "National Treasure"? What's next, Criterion putting out an edition of "Armageddon"?!?

;)

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

No. A Criterion "National Treasure"! :D

(Disney COULD license it out to them, the same way they did "The Rock")

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
So, how was the transfer....since this IS the SOFTWARE section?;)

Missed this in theaters despite having the same interests Mr. Harris listed.

Looking forward to it.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
You are not alone. I watched this 3 days ago and want to see it again. I enjoyed watching it.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Although I did enjoy National Treasure more than I expected to in a "check your brain at the door" type of way, this movie was about as authentic as the Patriot was. Both were decent action films, but nothing I would recommend to be viewed in a US History class.

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
It's a cliche, but National Treasure truly is the kind of movie they don't make anymore. It's a safe, clean, fun adventure movie, one that parents can feel totally comfortable taking their kids too and still enjoy themselves. We haven't really seen this kind of film since the early days of Lucas and Spielburg. Not that it's on quite that level of quality, but that's the kind of vibe I got while watching it.

It's proof that you CAN still make a decent movie at the PG level. Sex, drugs, swearing, and constant envelope-pushing violence are not prerequisites to a decent story. Not that I'm a prude or anything, but this was a refreshing change that reaffirmed my faith in human nature just a bit.

And then I saw Sin City. LOL

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Actually, I can say the same for "Pirates Of The Carribean", plus it is a better film to boot.

One thing I did like about "National Treasure" is that it looks like they shot most of the stuff on location. It was nice to see a movie that takes place in DC actually BE in DC.

Jason

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I enjoyed the film slightly less than Sahara...but what I found particularly refreshing was that the film makers actually seemed to make a conscious decision to exlude the normal vulgarity and sexuality...making this one of the truly few films of 1994 to which I would take any age of children.

Looking forward to the DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks