Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

1080p DLP's around the corner

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#1 of 58 OFFLINE   EricRWem

EricRWem

Screenwriter

• 1,097 posts

Posted April 22 2005 - 03:37 AM

I'm really excited about these and I could easily see myself getting one this summer when they come out. I'm counting on you folks to devil's advocate me to the moon in the meantime. Posted Image

AWESOME!!

1080p DLP Hotness is a go!

Quote:
1080p DLP TVs Enters Volume Production and Shipment Quantity

Dallas, TX, April 2005 - Texas Instruments recently announced that its 1920 x 1080 high-definition (HD) resolution DLP TV technology has been fully qualified and is in production shipment to customers.

ROCK ON!

Quote:
DLP TVs are expected to be the first volume 1080p TVs available on the U.S. market, with affordable 1080p DLP TVs scheduled to be at retail as early as July.

Manufacturers who have announced 1080p DLP TVs include LG, Mitsubishi, Samsung, and Toshiba.

I guess I'd probably pick either Samsung or Mitsubishi. Hell, today's Wall Street Journal said that Samsung is currrently one of the most profitable electronics companies out there today. Period.

Quote:
Mitsubishi will publicly introduce for the first time today 5 new models featuring 1080p DLP technology, ranging in screen size from 52” to 73”, at their line show in Orlando, Florida. 1080p DLP TVs will complement the 720p high-definition DLP TV offerings available on the market, which total more than 75 models from more than 20 customers worldwide.

I still can't get over the prices on these, considering the kind of technology involved and how new it is.

Quote:

The 1080p DLP chip offers a variety of features to customers that allow them to differentiate their TVs:
  • * SharpPicture™: Processing enhancement that works in conjunction with SmoothPicture™ technology to simultaneously provide sharp, yet smooth and seamless images.
    * DynamicColor™: Enhances colors and contrast without impacting skin tones, allowing for more vibrant and lifelike color reproduction.
    * DynamicBlack™: System level solution which provides dramatic increases in system contrast ratio and grayscale fidelity by as much as 4x, bringing greater detail to dark scenes and images and allowing customers to achieve contrast ratios well above 5000:1.
    * DarkChip3™: Feature that includes architectural changes to the DLP chip resulting in a 20 - 40% improvement in contrast over DarkChip2™.

With the highly anticipated industry move to 1920 x 1080 resolution digital capture, broadcast and playback, 1080p DLP TVs are designed to display incredible high-definition pictures that match the full content resolution.

According to In-Stat, there are currently 4 million HDTV households in the US, up from 1.6 million in March 2004.

That's the beginning of the boom. HDTV is really starting to make inroads. Now, if we could just get more HD content, we'd be on to something. I can't wait to see what happens after DirecTV gets all those new satellites up this summer.

Quote:
Many HD cable and network programming offerings have already moved to 1080 resolution, and the highly anticipated HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc technologies for high-definition video playback are expected to make their debut later this year.

And it may be as one format instead of two, if you see my earlier link. Worst case scenario, and one that I actually prefer, would be to keep both formats in tact and just start putting out universal players like what we have for regular DVD's now. (SACD, DVD-A, WM9, MP3, etc. etc.)

Quote:
“This is an exciting time for HDTV, as we are seeing large quantities of HD content and consumer products to support the content,” said Dale Zimmerman, Business Manager, DLP™ TV Products at Texas Instruments. “We are pleased to provide our customers with a 1080p resolution chip so they can continue to lead the TV market with innovative DLP TVs.”

Now all we need is more actual HD content.

Quote:

The inherent advantages of DLP technology include no burn-in or fade, deep rich colors, and incredible, industry-leading contrast ratios. The speed advantage of DLP technology allows for a 1-chip architecture that provides razor-sharp images that will not misconverge over time, and excellent reproduction of fast video such as sports and live action with no motion lag.

Any cons? One thing that bothers me on some of these new TV's is what I like to call the "patio screen effect." I'm sure you all have seen this before. You see the obvious criss crossing lines on the picture and it really looks like you're looking through a thinly veiled patio screen. I don't think these DLPs have that problem, either.

#2 of 58 OFFLINE   John S

John S

Producer

• 5,460 posts

Posted April 22 2005 - 04:01 AM

Not so sure, I want to buy one of the 1st gens... But hey somebody has too.

#3 of 58 OFFLINE   EricRWem

EricRWem

Screenwriter

• 1,097 posts

Posted April 22 2005 - 04:46 AM

I understand your point. Definitely some caution has to always come into play.

#4 of 58 OFFLINE   aaron campbell

aaron campbell

Second Unit

• 282 posts

Posted April 22 2005 - 05:01 AM

I don't see prices listed.

#5 of 58 OFFLINE   John S

John S

Producer

• 5,460 posts

Posted April 22 2005 - 05:06 AM

Patio screen effect is more commonly refered to as SDE = Screen Door Effect....

#6 of 58 OFFLINE   EricRWem

EricRWem

Screenwriter

• 1,097 posts

Posted April 22 2005 - 05:54 AM

Thanks, John. That's what I meant.

Prices for Sammy models. Other brands would probably be very close to these prices.

#7 of 58 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted April 22 2005 - 06:03 AM

Anything on 1080p DLP projectors?

Jason

#8 of 58 OFFLINE   Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted April 22 2005 - 06:06 AM

Once the FP's reach 1080p at around $1000-1500 then I will update my CRT. Shouldn't be too long. I'm looking for an excuse to buy another FP...

#9 of 58 OFFLINE   Dave Miller

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor

• 854 posts

Posted April 22 2005 - 06:19 AM

Quote:
The inherent advantages of DLP technology include no burn-in or fade

Is this correct? Not sure where I've been, but this is news to me.

Peace,

DM
"We all end up dead, the question is how and why."

#10 of 58 OFFLINE   EricRWem

EricRWem

Screenwriter

• 1,097 posts

Posted April 22 2005 - 06:19 AM

1080p projector. Please note the price differences. Posted Image

DILA 1080p

To my knowledge, that's the only one I keep seeing advertised in magazines, although I'm sure the other projector brand names are bringing out simillar products.

That price makes me want to weep. WAY out of my consideration. Downright insane.

#11 of 58 OFFLINE   James Phung

James Phung

Second Unit

• 409 posts

Posted April 22 2005 - 08:00 AM

DLPs aren't affected by burn in. DLPs use thousands(or should I say millions) of tiny micromirrors that reflect light through a color wheel. If anything, you have to worry about "stuck" mirrors which would be similar to a dead pixel on LCD. You don't see many DLPs with stuck mirrors thanks to the Quality control at TI. I visited the TI offices in Plano, TX and they were literally handing out actual DLP chips. I'm sure these were defective chips with either a stuck mirror or dirt on a mirror etc.

I've got a pic of the one they gave me. Pretty cool. Posted Image
http://gallery.avsfo....cat=500&page=1

#12 of 58 OFFLINE   EricRWem

EricRWem

Screenwriter

• 1,097 posts

Posted April 22 2005 - 08:41 AM

Question:

(I'm quoting someone from another forum who made a very good point and he said it better than I probably would:

Quote:
The only negative about these sets is that, apparently, they will not accept a 1080p signal as input. So, if you do find a 1080p source, you can't have the signal come into the display as 1080p, which ultimately defeats the purpose of a 1080p signal (DVD player, cable tuner, etc.) combined with a 1080p display, since there will still be some conversion going on somewhere in the process.

Can someone clear this up for me please?

#13 of 58 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted April 22 2005 - 11:39 AM

Eric,
Couple things..
Quote:
with affordable 1080p DLP TVs scheduled to be at retail as early as July.
Affordable means 5k for a 55"??? To who?
Quote:
I can't wait to see what happens after DirecTV gets all those new satellites up this summer.
For a while I'd expect lots of Local channels in HD and not much else added to the national lineup. Then we can also talk about their conversion to Mpg4 which can and might be a big issue. We could also talk about what D*'s nickname as of late which is D* HD lite. They've been compressing the heck out of their signals as of late. Their bitrates are horrible.
Quote:
Any cons?
Rainbows which can cause headaches. Unless they offer a 3 chip variety.
Quote:
Anything on 1080p DLP projectors?
Yep I think the cheapest one is $20,000 right now or so. I wouldn't expect a 1080P DLP for under 5k for atleast 5 years. My friend says 2 but I don't see prices dropping that fast. Maybe 10k by 3-4 is my safe prediction and that is still way out of the price range that most want to be in.
Quote:
Shouldn't be too long.
Sure, wanna bet? 5 years is my bet minimum. For the <$2k bracket, I'm thinking more like 7 years.

#14 of 58 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted April 22 2005 - 12:18 PM

1080p LCoS is already here. The new Sony Qualia RP SXRD set. $13,000 though.
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#15 of 58 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted April 22 2005 - 01:40 PM

Only about $8,000 more than Samsung will price their 1080P 55" DLP...

It's likely ALOT better than the Samsung(in fact there is a glowing review of it in S&V this month) but $8k is 8k.

#16 of 58 OFFLINE   EricRWem

EricRWem

Screenwriter

• 1,097 posts

Posted April 22 2005 - 01:59 PM

For an $8K difference, I would certainly hope it would be APPRECIABLY better. Posted Image

Shane, as I understand it, a VERY small minority of people have seen the so-called rainbow effect of the DLP's. I know it's something to be aware of...

I've also heard about "D* HD Lite" and that's one of the reasons why I haven't really felt compelled to make the jump from the fairly solid cable that I have now.

#17 of 58 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted April 22 2005 - 04:01 PM

Don't get me wrong. I liked having D* alot. Their non HD channels look good or as good as what I have now with digital cable although I will admit that the non digital channels look like crap compared to D*.

HD channels: No comparison. And the cheap HD DVR 2 tuner 6412 makes it an easy move for me. That said my options are open and I'm not tied to staying with my current cable setup.

Quote:
a VERY small minority of people
Or a small minority are posting about it or alot of other things. Fact is, Its there and possible.
Quote:
For an $8K difference, I would certainly hope it would be APPRECIABLY better
Well S&V believes it is the bomb at the moment. Nothing touches it. I wouldn't doubt it. A Qualia vs Samsung 1080P comparison will get interesting..

Still 1080P is pretty fringe stuff. The vast majority of even us folks are only able to swing the money to be able to buy a 720P set if we're lucky(if we rule out CRT).

#18 of 58 OFFLINE   Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey

Producer

• 4,952 posts

Posted April 22 2005 - 11:51 PM

67" is a yawn...bring on the FP.
SVS Customer Service
http://www.svsound.com
sales@svsound.com
techsupport@svsound.com

#19 of 58 OFFLINE   EricRWem

EricRWem

Screenwriter

• 1,097 posts

Posted April 23 2005 - 01:08 AM

^^ You can get your FP Jack...for 5 figures. $20,000 is the cheapksate way to do it! Posted Image

Shane, I agree with your point: I know that the DLP rainbow effect is out there and possible. Do we know whether or not the forthcoming line of these DLPs will have "three chips" instead of two, as you mentioned earlier?

I'm going to link to the AVS "master" thread about these new DLP's, since there's just an insane amount of information in the first post alone! And lots of pretty pictures! Posted Image

http://www.avsforum.....hreadid=493443

#20 of 58 OFFLINE   Dave Miller

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor

• 854 posts

Posted April 23 2005 - 01:21 AM

That is an insane amount of information and very pretty pictures. Thanks for the link.

Peace,

DM
"We all end up dead, the question is how and why."

Back to Display Devices (TVs/Projectors/Screens)

Forum Nav Content I Follow