What's new

Daily Show Thread (1 Viewer)

EdHoch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ed Hochstatter
Tried to see if there was an ongoing Daily Show thread. Given the fact that the subject matter on the show often centers around politics, religion, the media, and the absurdity often found there, perhaps there is a good reason why there isn't.

And if so, may this thread quickly fade...

However, tonight the stars aligned and my two heroes of sarcastic topical humor shared the screen: Jon Stewart and Dennis Miller.

Funny, funny stuff, if you can catch the rerun tomorrow night, please do so.

Miller on the new pope "I gotta tell ya, I see a German guy on a balcony with an adoring throng below...I get a little nervous."

Mmmmmm....that's good comedy. The only drawback, Miller was riffing so much, Stewart barely got a word in.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I love this show. It is my regular substitute for news on cable television.

- Steve

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
One thing I love about "The Daily Show" is that it expects it audience to be smart enough to get the joke.

While I don't care for Dennis Miller's politics and think his MSNBC show sucks, his guest turn on "The Daily Show" was hilarious.

For me, the real star is Steve Colbert. He may be going to hell for his "The Week in God" segments but it will be some trip. His latin DXVII (though he should have said DXXVII) attack ad against then Cardinal Ratzinger was inspired.

The show has two weak points. Some of the pre-taped pieces are lame and the guest interview segment can be very hit or miss. Depending on the guest, I may turn it off after the second segment. A guest one would think would be funny tends not to be but some off beat folks are enjoyable such as the Princeton philosophy prof talking about Bullshit.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I miss Steve Carell on the show, he was a highlight of what is still a great social/political satire show.

I still think that the most touching and heartfelt post 9-11 show was Jon's tearful opening on TDS.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
I also miss Steve Carell, but the Steven Cobert Week in God segments are hilarious.

"Well, thats all God did this week...so till next time."

I dont care for Lewis Black though...he doesnt even write any of his material (according to an interview he did on NPR).

BTW, anyone know where I can see the 9-11 segment? I still remember it, and love to see it again.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I'd love to see the 9-11 segment. I did not start watching the show until last year.

Steven Colbert cracks me up. He also seems to crack Jon Stewart up. A few weeks back, he revealed that his real name was Ted Hitler. Stewart was trying so hard not to laugh that he had to turn away and not look at Colbert. Now that's funny. Or it's the Carol Burnett Show all over again.

- Steve

MikeM

Screenwriter

beep-boop-boop-boop-beep-boop-boop-boop-beep-boop-boop-boop-beep-boop-boop-boop

beep

boop

boop

:)

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
I love this show, I can't believe that it took Jon Stewart's appearance on Crossfire for me to hear of it. I don't miss an episode now, fantastic show.

I love the mix of guests: authors, politicians, actors. Generally always intelligent and interesting. Paula Abdul being a recent exception.

Great Stuff, must pick up the book at some point.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The book is absolutely brilliant. The show's been a bit hit-or-miss lately, as some of the guests are really lame. But it's still one of the best shows on TV.

I love Lewis Black -- he looks and talks just like my late grandfather. :)

As for Dennis Miller's show, it's been improving. Just skip the opening monologue -- he REALLY needs to hire new writers for that. (Although last night's was actually pretty funny.) But the Varsity Panel discussions and most of the guests are good.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
There's a transcript and video on their homepage, here . This is the best right-after-9/11 broadcast, on any network, bar none. I was incredibly cynical of just about every response in front of a camera made by someone involved with news or politics, from Brokaw to Bush, but this one managed to make me break down. In fact, it still does. Seeing Jon crack is pretty much the point where I lose it. The fact that the audience is deathly quiet for most of the time makes it all the more poignant.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Well I've got tears in my eyes.

As I said, it was and is the most honest & heartfelt post 9-11 show openings I have ever seen. I really am crying, I'm not being melodramatic. The part of that "speech" that always gets to me is:

The view from my apartment was the World Trade Center and now it's gone. They attacked it. This symbol of American ingenuity and strength and labor and imagination and commerce and it is gone. But you know what the view is now? The Statue of Liberty. The view from the south of Manhattan is now the Statue of Liberty. You can't beat that.

I have this copied onto DVD from the first airing and backed up on my hard drive & I will keep it always.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Cool clip. I've been watching since the 2004 election coverage (when TDS began running here in Canada after CTV lost "waste of space" Mike Bullard). I love fake news, especially when there seems to be a better (albeit) funnier analysis than any 'real' news program would dare offer.

"Indecision 2004" will be available on DVD June 28th

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks