-

Photo
- - - - -

Painting a House, Advice?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 of 35 OFFLINE   Joe Szott

Joe Szott

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts

Posted April 20 2005 - 09:51 AM

So this summer our house is likely to need a new coat of paint. It makes sense too as many of the windows are 13 yrs old and taking condensation damage, so we'll be replacing those anyway.

Any advice from members on making this job easier/faster?

I've painted decks, rooms, whatever before but not a house exterior (by chance mostly.) Our place is 2 stories, so an extendable ladder or something will be needed for the upper areas.

Is it best to use rollers just like inside, or are paint sprayers easy and reliable? Anything you all have found useful in the past is welcomed, thanks.

#2 of 35 OFFLINE   Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted April 20 2005 - 10:01 AM

Ack! Sounds like a huge PITA. I've never painted the outside of a house, but personally I think I'd just hire someone to do it. Sounds like too much time and effort that could be better spent doing something I'm more proficient at.

But I'm sure you wanted advice on how to actually go about doing the painting yourself, so feel free to ignore me Posted Image

#3 of 35 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted April 20 2005 - 10:18 AM

Quote:
Any advice from members on making this job easier/faster?

Yeah, hire someone. Just make sure they don't water down the paint. My neighbor is a painter, he painted my house for free a couple years back all I had to do was the prep work and buy the materials. Next summer I'm going to paint it again. I want a darker color, the tan I have is too light.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#4 of 35 OFFLINE   Jason Kirkpatri

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit

• 389 posts

Posted April 20 2005 - 10:35 AM

Get the local university or college painters to do it. I worked on one of those crews for a summer and I think we did a good job.

The more experience painters will do the sills and cuts, the others will typically use big ass extension rollers (10' - 15' jobbies) to get a nice swath of paint on the house.

By yourself is going to be a HUGE PITA.

#5 of 35 OFFLINE   Mort Corey

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts

Posted April 20 2005 - 10:52 AM

Single story..no problem. Two story...many problems. can you imagine yourself lugging paint and supplies up and down a ladder?

I had mine done (two story) and they sprayed the large swatches and cut the trim by hand. Four guys..two full days. The cheapo Wagner sprayers aren't worth the trouble. If you want to spray, it'd be better to rent decent, professional, equipment. The stuff is pretty expensive to purchase outright.

If you decide to do the job yourself just make sure you're medical insurance is paid up to date.

Mort

#6 of 35 OFFLINE   SteveLa

SteveLa

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted April 20 2005 - 11:41 AM

Quote:
just make sure you're medical insurance is paid up to date.

No kidding. My boss was painting the outside of his place last year and fell 7-8 feet off a ladder and severely f***ed up his back.

#7 of 35 OFFLINE   Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter

• 1,210 posts

Posted April 20 2005 - 12:02 PM

I'm also painting our 1.5 story stucco house this summer. I out sourced the prep work (blasting, sanding, etc) to College Pros for about $1000. Once they're done all I'll need to do is slap on two coats of paint.
"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." Muhammed Ali, (Cassius Clay)

#8 of 35 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Second Unit

• 469 posts

Posted April 20 2005 - 12:02 PM

I talked with a guy who heads up a really good crew here in Atlanta. He said they always put a coat of primer on, and then two coats of paint. Of course they were kinda pricey, but the guy seemed to know what he was talking about. They usually put in at least a week working on a single story house with wood siding, depending on the condition. He was very serious about putting on a coat of primer and said that was the secret to a good paint job.

I'd definitely recommend that if you do hire someone, that you don't pay anything until the job is complete. If they don't have the money to buy paint and supplies, then you don't want to do business with them.

#9 of 35 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted April 20 2005 - 03:03 PM

Quote:
He was very serious about putting on a coat of primer and said that was the secret to a good paint job
you know you're in for a bumpy ride finding a good painter when primer is considered a "secret" Posted Image
Quote:
I'd definitely recommend that if you do hire someone, that you don't pay anything until the job is complete. If they don't have the money to buy paint and supplies, then you don't want to do business with them.
my brother and i work for my dad in the summer, who is a self-employed painter. you are the type of homeowner we run far, far away from. any reasonable agreement with a painter should include fair installments of payment, and any reputable painter will agree to that.

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#10 of 35 OFFLINE   Colton

Colton

Supporting Actor

• 795 posts

Posted April 21 2005 - 03:22 AM

Boy, do I have a story for you. Got some time? When my wife and I bought our two-story house the first thing that it needed was a paint job. I called and got lots of quotes and found a guy who gave me the best price. Looked through his palette book for our pick of base and trim color. Very nice guy through and through and did all the work himself - including repairing/replacing bad boards/trim, scraping old paint, power washing, priming and adding two coats. Miracle worker, eh? He started in May and still wasn't finished until October. He would show up once a week and do alittle work and then disappear until next week. We had to call him to see what the problem was - he was taking small jobs on the side and leaving our house unfinished for six months! It was only after I gave him a warning that he either finishes our house or I will hire someone who will finish the work and pay him the difference of the cost. Needless to say, he finished the house that week.

- Colton

#11 of 35 OFFLINE   Joe Szott

Joe Szott

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts

Posted April 21 2005 - 04:11 AM

I'm probably going to do this myself, PITA and all. I've reroofed sections of houses and worked in lumber for a number of years, so I'm not afraid of the effort. I don't expect this to be a weekend project, I fully expect to sink time all summer to complete the project.

But college painters sounds like a decent idea. No way can I pay a pro $5-10K to paint my house for me (don't ahve that kind of bread), but $2K for a couple of college kids would be doable to handle some of the 'heavy lifting'.

Any other adivce on actually doing the job? Paint sprayers vs. rollers, equipment to have around that I wouldn't think of, etc?

#12 of 35 OFFLINE   Colton

Colton

Supporting Actor

• 795 posts

Posted April 21 2005 - 04:55 AM

Whoever paints your house - college kids or freelance painter - make sure they are insured. If someone falls off the ladder and breaks a leg, neck, back, etc ... you will be responsible for their injuries if they aren't insured. Protect yourself!

My father-in-law had a contractor come out to do some house repair and the guy fell off the roof. He wasn't insured and the medical cost went directly to my father-in-law.

- Colton

#13 of 35 OFFLINE   Bry_DD

Bry_DD

Second Unit

• 345 posts

Posted April 21 2005 - 09:15 AM

i'll say get a good sprayer cuz it'll be easier instead of roller.. also sprayer will be faster. just make sure it's now windy when you're doing it..

good luck.

#14 of 35 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted April 21 2005 - 09:38 AM

Quote:
No way can I pay a pro $5-10K to paint my house for me
Posted Image For that price, I'd look into siding.

#15 of 35 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted April 21 2005 - 01:05 PM

Quote:
For that price, I'd look into siding
a couple summers ago, my brother and i, along with my dad, painted a 12,000 square foot house, if that price scares you, i'd hate to say what we got for it Posted Image not that we got rich from it, but on paper it seems like a lot. for the local guys who know what kind of houses are in duxbury, it was a new house built, and is now the biggest in the town. from one end of the main hallway, you can see 95 feet down to the other end, before it takes a turn. it was big.

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#16 of 35 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,746 posts

Posted April 21 2005 - 01:13 PM

I spent the summer of 1998 painting my ranch house on weekends and some weekday evenings. I doubt I'll be doing it again. Most of it was hand-painted, or roller-painted, no spray.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#17 of 35 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted April 21 2005 - 01:20 PM

You'll spend more time scraping the old paint with a paint remover than you will applying primer/paint. I'd check into hiring college/highschoolers for the scraping, its pretty mindless and they work cheap.
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#18 of 35 OFFLINE   Joe Szott

Joe Szott

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts

Posted April 22 2005 - 04:14 AM

I'm going to look into College Pro as that seems like a good option. Decent pricing, good work, and help out a bunch of yound folks who are willing to work for a buck. Motivated college kids are good workers, I'd trust them to do the job.

After working in a lumberyard for years, the painters I knew were like the construction workers I knew: 2 out of 5 were good, hard workers. The other 3 seemed to need just enough cash to get drunk between jail stints or other f'ups.

Apologies if anyone here is in construction/painting, but I'm sure you're on the 2 of that 5.

PS - $10K is probably a little high, but if cleaning, priming, and 2 coats doesn't run at least $5K, I'd be shocked.

#19 of 35 OFFLINE   Colton

Colton

Supporting Actor

• 795 posts

Posted April 22 2005 - 04:18 AM

Cleaning, priming and two-coats on my 2,219 sq. ft. house (two-story) was < $2,000. It just took six months.

- Colton

#20 of 35 OFFLINE   Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter

• 1,210 posts

Posted April 22 2005 - 05:11 AM

http://www.collegepro.com/
"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." Muhammed Ali, (Cassius Clay)

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow