Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Does anyone make flat RG6?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Stephen P

Stephen P

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted September 07 2001 - 01:39 PM

...RCA has a short-run, flat co-ax which it says is "perfect" for connecting inside and outside cables for satellites. BUT, it doesn't mention if its RG6 or not. A google search turned up some combination wire (coax, phone, networking,etc.), but I think that's a little much for me.

Anyone have any ideas?

#2 of 6 R Benson

R Benson

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted September 07 2001 - 01:59 PM

The Short run flat wire is intended to run under your window sill so you don't have to drill any holes. To my knowledge, noone makes a flat RG6 cable for long runs.

------------------

#3 of 6 Stephen P

Stephen P

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted September 08 2001 - 03:32 AM

But doesn't that create a sort of bottleneck that would negate the benefit of the RG6?

Also, I seem to remember hearing something a few years back about a device that you attached to each side of the glass and passed the signal through. Is that still around, or was it a bad application that has since died?

#4 of 6 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,055 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted September 08 2001 - 05:25 AM

I'm using the flat coax from RCA to connect my Dish500 to my Dishplayer and HD6000. It runs underneath the door going to the apartment patio. I have no loss of signal quality.

-Robert

#5 of 6 AllanN

AllanN

Supporting Actor

• 952 posts

Posted February 01 2004 - 03:36 AM

Does anybody have a website link to where I can purchase the flat rg6 couplers?
“Aquaba is over there, it’s only a matter of going.” –Lawrence "I am not now, nor have I ever been a psychologist" -Mumford
"...you can't control who gets hit or who doesn't, who falls our of a chopper or why. It ain't up to you. Its just war." -Hoot
"Fear is the path to the dark...

#6 of 6 David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin

Second Unit

• 352 posts

Posted February 02 2004 - 04:31 AM

Disclaimer: I'm no EE, so don't take my word as gospel, but here you go anyways...

RG6 is a specification for coaxial cable, specified in part by the diameter of the center conductor, and the distance between the center conductor and the outer shield. RG6 is by definition not flat, so it's impossible to find "flat RG6."

If you want to get the performance of RG6 cable in a flat package, then what you'd probably be interested in is something with an 18 gauge center conductor, surrounded by lots of shielding. Flat shielding will not work nearly as well as round (the primary reason that coax cable is used so often in the first place), but for very short distances it probably won't be too bad.

For any kind of digital signal (satellite, ATSC, digital audio), or signals that aren't too sensitive by some extra noise (subwoofer signal that'll go through another low-pass filter, FM radio, cable TV) you'll probably be fine.
I would definitely use a short bit of flat cable if I had the choice instead of an optical transducer through a window pane, if for no other reason than it's a heck of alot cheaper. It will also probably produce a clearer signal.

Oops, I just noticed that this is an old thread that's been resurrected. Oh well, since I finished typing all this I might as well leave it now Posted Image

Allan: Partsexpress has one (part number 180-206), and I'm sure RadioShack has one too. You might also try HomeDepot, they carry some home A/V products.