What's new

Question about Collecting the Super Friends on DVD (1 Viewer)

AlanBrom

Second Unit
I notice that Warner put out some sort of "Best of" discs on these titles, then started to do season sets. Can anyone comment on the best/proper way to buy these if I'd like to start collecting them?

Jon F.

Stunt Coordinator
There's really not much to tell:

Two single disc releases had the first 8 episodes of the CHALLENGE OF THE SUPERFRIENDS series. They cost about $15 (each) new.

All 16 episodes of CHALLENGE OF THE SUPERFRIENDS were released as a season set and cost about $25 new.

If you are serious about collecting the episodes, then it would be pointless to get the two single disc releases. I don't think they had anything different than the season set.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
The swet also had comentaries and a doc that were not on the original singles.

I'd buy the boxes, but I don't think they are actually chronological by season. I think "Challenge Of The Superfriends" is season 6 or something. I have no idea what season May's vol 2 is.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Go to the Big Cartoon Database and do a search on Superfriends. It has a listing of every incarnation of the show.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Season 1 featured Marvin and Wendy.

Season 2 featured Zan and Jana.

Season 3 had no teenage sidekicks (besides Robin) and had the title "Challenge of the Super Friends". WB called this "Season 1" for some reason.

I believe season 4 was more of "Challenge..." and I'm assuming that the "Season 2" set coming soon is actually the 2nd season of "Challenge..." i.e. the actual 4th season.

Matthew Green

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all,

What is the episode listing for this? I really want Lord of Middle Earth, and Superfriends meet Frankenstein...

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'd love the Middle Earth episode as well. When I told some friends about how Batman get's turned into a hobbit, they thought I was on crack.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
When on earth is Warners going to put out the original Super Friends with Wendy, Marvin, and Wonderdog? The 1973-74 season was the one I enjoyed best as a kid, and those Wonder Twins bored me to tears!!! Any other Season 1 fans out there?

Barry Hebert

Agent

Count me in as a season 1 (Marvin, Wendy, and WonderDog) fan.

I feel this "original" Super Friends season best displayed the Alex Toth character designs, stylized backgrounds, and wonderfully appropriate musical score. The one hour episodes allowed for more leisurely placed stories--with less stereotypical (in the bad sense) "comic book" plots.

This season is (IMHO) a wonderful example of the type of Saturday morning program from that specific (early 70's) era--a "super hero" show without the "violent" action of the 60's action shows.

The later Super Friends, returning to the more traditional "comic book" mold, are less unique, and not as interesting as other 1960's animated action series.

So yeah, bring on "those junior Super Friends: Wendy, Marvin, and WonderDog".

--Barry

Jon F.

Stunt Coordinator
R: SUPER FRIENDS "VOLUME" 2

According to the press release, Randall is correct. The press release says. "...battle villains from the darkest regions of outer space to the depths of the ocean in their fight for justice. They face extraordinary perils at the core of the Earth and defy the laws of nature to shrink to microscopic size to defeat a radioactive monster. Even Dracula returns from the grave to challenge the Super Friends to a showdown!"

Those descriptions fit the 16 episodes of the THIRD season (1978) which had the CHALLENGE OF THE SUPERFRIENDS and 30 minutes of SUPERFRIENDS airing together in a one hour show. This is NOT going to be THE ALL-NEW SUPERFRIENDS HOUR from 1977 like TVSHOWSONDVD.COM has listed.

According to TVTOME.COM, the season listing looks like this and is based on when NEW episodes aired:

Season 1: SUPERFRIENDS (1973) - with Marvin, Wendy & Wonder Dog
Season 2: THE ALL-NEW SUPERFRIENDS HOUR (1977) - Wonder Twins
Season 3: CHALLENGE OF THE SUPERFRIENDS (30 min) & SUPERFRIENDS (1978; 30 mins)
Season 4: THE WORLD'S GREATEST SUPERFRIENDS
Season 5: SUPERFRIENDS (1980)
No new episodes in 1981, 1982, or 1983
Season 6: SUPERFRIENDS: The Legendary Super Powers Show (1984)
Season 7: SUPER POWERS TEAM: GALACTIC GUARDIANS

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
TV Tome has a pretty decent episode guide for this show that profiles all of the episodes. Ah, that site really is a valuable resource!

Jon F.

Stunt Coordinator
All the information you need to find the episode guide is listed in this thread...which is probably why no one has offered to give it to you.

Randall Cyrenne

Stunt Coordinator
We are all assuming that the DVD release will have the eps listed at TVTome and the other sites (i.e. The other part of the Challenge eps, with the Wonder Twins), but no confirmation via an actual episode-specific listing for the DVD has turned up that I have been able to find. Based on the site's description, though, I think it's safe to assume that we will find these shows:
http://quicksitebuilder.cnet.com/rob...uide/id12.html

I don't think I've ever seen these, so I'm quite looking forward to this DVD!

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
These don't include the little seqments in between stories, do they? You know, like the Superfriends demonstrating magic tricks and talking about environmental issues.

Jon F.

Stunt Coordinator

Paul,
I pointed out above that the back of the box lists that an episode has Dracula in it. I don't know of another season beside '78 that has Dracula in it.

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will
I wish they'd release the 3 seasons from the '80s that had Firestorm in them. He was my favorite character. Imagine, a nuclear physics professor and an athlete combining into one person with cool super powers. Heck, that sure would have made things easier in my physics classes! :D Firestorm was also one of only 2 characters who could destroy Superman just by thinking about it. The other was Green Lantern. They could both whip up that green kryptonite! Disengaging geek mode now. :b

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks