What's new

Dallas-cut? (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
A couple of episodes on the Dallas dvd are a couple of minutes shorter than the rest. "Election" is one that comes to mind. Also, on these episodes, there are scenes in the teaser that aren't in the show. Does anyone know if the original, uncut masters were used....or did they use syndication prints from the mid-'80s?

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator
It appears they used syndication prints because some the running times are a bit short. They are time-sped, and in a couple of cases they failed to properly remove the Worldvision distribution tag at the end of the show.

It will be interesting to see what they do for season 3 onward, when Lorimar ceased producing a post-production film negative and assembled the show on 1" videotape from film elements.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

Was that for season 3 or for much later? I know by 1986 they were definitely doing post-production on tape (Knots Landing switched in late 1985).

At any rate, the Library of Congress's telnet files (telnet:locis.loc.gov) says that the library has the final episode of season 3 on 35mm film.

They did switch from film to tape in post, but I doubt it was that early.

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
Are you sure they've used syndicated prints? I don't know why they would, especially since SOAPnet airs Dallas completely uncut.

Have you asked anyone at Ultimate Dallas if the DVD is cut, someone there might know for sure, cause some of them have tapes from the first run.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The SoapNet Dallas masters don't seem too disjointed to me, but they are missing the pre-show teasers (Knots Landing has them, oddly enough), the Lorimar logos (except later episodes), and a handful of episodes are PAL-sourced. Since I never watched the show before SoapNet aired it, I cannot judge, except for the final episode, which seems OK to me (my mom taped it off CBS when it aired).

Perhaps some "next week" previews were longer than others, and those account for the discrepancies in length.

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
Yeah SOAPnet cut the opening teasers, I would take that over them cutting the episodes. Dallas is still uncut though :)

Mark Lx

Second Unit
Having watched the Dallas set, I'm surprised if it's cut. There certainly wasn't anything obvious to give me that impression, not having seen the first run in the 70s.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

I agree, having seen the Dallas series years ago when it was originally aired. I can't seem to find any cut eps in the S1/2 pack. Interesting...

Nikie

Grip
I have not noticed any cut scenes like I have on Soapnet or when it was on TNN which cut out many many scenes I didn't get to see till Soapnet.

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
I don't think the DVDs are cut, I remember reading on the Ultimate Dallas board after the DVDs came out that people were wondering the same things, they were afraid of syndicated copies but I guess it was confirmed they were originals.

If anyone wants to be sure go to the Ultimate Dallas forum and start a thread about it, I'm sure someone who's seen original episodes would be able to confirm for sure or not ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks