Photo
- - - - -

satellite coax causing lines through picture...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 JacobZ

JacobZ

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted April 19 2005 - 04:58 AM

well, after dealing with this for months i've decided to try and seek out some help. hopefully this goes here, too.

anyways, i have just bought a new TV (very low end, but much better than my old) and i had the same problem with the past tv, and it happens in my families main living room as well.

i have many things hooked up to my tv at the moment (dvd, ps2, xbox, gamecube, etc) all through composite (haven't got around to getting component cables for all as my old tv didn't have any component inputs) and my satellite through the svideo.

however, when any of the satellite cables (either audio, svideo or even composite video in) are hooked up it creates semi-transparent vertical/diagnoal lines on any other video source coming into the tv, causing me to be majorly annoyed. and, it is in fact the coax in from the satellite dish itself, as when that is unscrewed and the svideo/composite cables are plugged into the tv the lines go away.

i've already looked into a ground loop issue, and grounded my incoming coaxial line to no luck.

anyone have an idea as to what could be causing the lines -- and more importantly, on how to fix it?

thanks to all who can help!

#2 of 6 John S

John S

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,460 posts

Posted April 19 2005 - 05:16 AM

Try grounding the Coax locally??? I mean, I still have not tried this, but a recent post said it fixed his cable tv with a very similar issue to yours.

So what is grounded and what isn't on your installed equipment list? Sometimes lifting a ground can solve it too.

#3 of 6 StephenL

StephenL

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted April 19 2005 - 05:20 AM

Are you sure the cable from the dish is properly grounded? National Electric Code approved grounding points:
http://www.dbsinstal...hatisgood-5.htm
"It's most disappointing. I shall have to go all-out on some modifications."

#4 of 6 JacobZ

JacobZ

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted April 19 2005 - 07:19 AM

i've posted this on other forums, and people posted to grounding it to fix whats commonly called a "ground loop"

and i did just that. grounded the grounding block to a ground in my circuit breaker. if that isn't a ground, i don't know what is... and that is all i currently have grounded from my satellite system.

#5 of 6 David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted April 19 2005 - 08:33 AM

Jacob,
What you describe definitely sounds like a ground loop problem, so I'm as perplexed as probably everyone else as to why grounding the incoming SAT lines to your electric panel ground didn't fix the issue.

First thing I'd probably do is verify that the ground wire from the grounding block to the panel is thick enough, and is unbroken. By thick enough I mean something around 14 gauge (I forget what the NEC specifies, but I think 14awg should be fine). As for unbroken, grab a continuity tester or multimeter.

Another thing you can try, is to get coax ground isolators from RadioShack for each incoming SAT line, and use them close to your equipment. I'm not sure, but I would imagine that this might lower your signal strength, but it might not be by enough to hurt you.

One thing I've done in the past when I had a problem with something I didn't care to diagnose, is to add jumper the grounds between some of the equipment. For instance, my receiver has a ground screw, and my subwoofer amp has ground binding posts connected to electric ground, and also connected that directly to the ground in the surge protector I was using with a banana plug. It reduced the problem enough to be tolerable, but didn't eliminate it. Not to mention it was one more set of wires in the rat's nest behind the entertainment center.

As I'm thinking about it, another reason for your problem could be interference from nearby electric lines. Check to see if your SAT coax is running close to any electric lines, if so that might be your culprit. This could probably be tested by temporarily running some coax by a completely different route to your receiver, and seeing if the problem gets any better. If that turns out to be the case then check if your SAT coax is not of high quality. If so, then try replacing it with some reasonably priced, but good, RG6 dual-shield. If what you've got now is good, then then the solution might be to go pick up the best RG6 quad-shield cable you can get your hands on and install that.

Hope this helps. Be sure to let us know whenever you figure out what exactly the cause was.
-- Dave

#6 of 6 JacobZ

JacobZ

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted April 19 2005 - 12:42 PM

see, it is quite light now. nothing too heavy, but still enough to bug me.

i'll check my ground to be sure it is grounded -- it should be, but you never know.

it may also run past my electrical lines. my satellite is on the left front side of my house, the room i'm in is on the back right, and the cable runs through the basement and up the vents into this room.

although, the living room which has the same problems is on the same floor, and no more than 50 feet away.

however, i will go about a few troubleshooting ideas and let you guys know what happens.

thanks so much for the help thus far!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users