Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Car top cargo holds

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted April 18 2005 - 10:52 AM

Well were planing a road trip to Disneyland this summer and Im looking at purchasing a Car top cargo box.

I have found info on Thule and Yakia and was looking for some opinions of these products. I think we are going to stick around 16 cubic feet. (how many duffel bags will 16 cubic feet hold?)

It will go atop a '05 Chevy Tahoe. The wife wants it as short as possible because she does not want it covering the sunroof. It aslo has to be black but a dark grey would be ok too.

Has anyone used one of the cargo bags? Curious if they are weather tight?

How about fuel econmy will any of these products drasticly reduce my fuel econmy?

Thanks
Chris
Chris Hovanic
"Go away or I'll replace you with a very small shell script!" :wink:

My DVD Collection
My Home Theater Pictures

#2 of 6 Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,118 posts

Posted April 19 2005 - 12:03 AM

I have a 20 cu ft Sears carrier that was used for the 400 mi/7 hr trip from Phila to Cleveland. It holds a ton (about 5+ duffel bags). You can definitely feel the drag, though you get used to it pretty quickly. Since I felt drag I'm sure it affected gas mileage; but not dramatically. The biggest impact was on windy days, where it made the car feel very top heavy, like a lightweight van. If I have it right the Tahoe is an SUV, so you should feel all this less than with my Bonneville.

#3 of 6 Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,628 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted April 19 2005 - 12:51 AM

They will affect your MPG, will be noiser, may affect your ride in heavy winds. That is to be expected, by the amount, it all depends on the conditions, not too major, perhaps a 1/2 mile less per gallon or so.

A flexible bag would also work, they make heavy plasticized rubber dry bags that you could strap down. Check out some of the paddling bags people use for rafting/canoe/kayaking trips. They typically have a rolltop closure and d-rings that connect. They are not considered 100% waterproof for immersion so don't drive into any lakes, but they are perfectly dry for rain and stuff.

I don't know if the hard cargo boxes would cover the sunroof, I do believe you have an option to mount the box fore and aft to a certain degree, but you'd have to almost try one out at a shop that has one. The flexible bag might allow you more flexibility with not covering the sunroof. However, it might be more convienient for access and tieing down securely with the cargo box.

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#4 of 6 Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted April 20 2005 - 04:09 AM

Thanks for the info guys. Posted Image
Chris Hovanic
"Go away or I'll replace you with a very small shell script!" :wink:

My DVD Collection
My Home Theater Pictures

#5 of 6 Mark Romero

Mark Romero

Second Unit

• 391 posts

Posted April 20 2005 - 04:16 AM

I have a cargo bag. Forget the brand of it. It's weather tight. A lot easier to store. Holds lots of stuff, too.

#6 of 6 John Alvarez

John Alvarez

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted April 20 2005 - 04:39 AM

Make sure you remember it's up there when going through drive throughs or into garages etc....
I'm thinking about a platform that sllides into your reciever hitch. Use a rubbermaid tote and your all set.