What's new

nooo I just ruined nearly 20 DVDs!!! (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I feel like such an idiot.

I just ordered barbecue chicken and sat down to watch some episodes of Rocky & Bullwinkle and upon uncovering the lid of gravy, I fumbeled and it slid out of my hands and launched in the direction of my DVD shelf splashing half the wall and completely drenching at least 20 of my DVD's including some expensive boxsets.

I made a mad dash into the kitchen to grab some towels but it was too late... the sauce seeped right under the keepcases completely ruining the covers to Public Enemy, The Petrified Forest, The Pink Panther Film Collection, LOTR Return Of The King digipack that was left out, my Hitchcock Criterion box, Dead Man, a handful of titles under the Fox Classics series and others..

Plus my lunch was ruined cause I have no sauce for my chicken now.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I tried to take the cover slips out to blow dry but they look like they have brownish yellow coffee stains on them and have that hard wrinkled texture that they get from wetting.

I'm so pissed off at myself right now!!!

I wish I could go back 15 minutes and have avoided that.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
My condolences. :frowning: At least the DVDs themselves are okay, even if the covers are ruined. At least some of them might be replaceable through those cover art sites.

Your days don't seem to be getting better... who exactly did you piss off in the grand scheme of things? ;)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Marco: My condolences. I hate when I do things like that. It's worth trying some cover art sites, or scanning and repairing if you have that capability.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

Thanks, I'm such a stickler for this sort of thing though. I literally spend 15 minutes in retail each week inspecting every DVD I purchase for the most minor and insignificant of flaws.

I think I'll end up listing these on Ebay and rebuying them eventually. I've cleaned off the keepcases so that they're not sticky and disgusting anymore, but the covers are totally ruined and some even seeped in and messed up the inserts as well. I just counted 15 in total and 2 have been salvaged.

I was thinking something stupid like this was bound to happen while struggling with that lid. If I would've just took an extra 10 seconds to walk into the kitchen and be a little more careful...

ahhh!!!

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
don't feel too bad, it's just the cases, too bad you can't replace them with DVDcoverart anymore :frowning:

Anyway I did much worse last week--wiping out my whole harddrive and years of data. I'd not been able to get DVD profiler to work for a couple months, anytime the new version installed it refused to boot up. So it was late, about 3AM and I decided just to clear the thing out and try it from scratch. So I uninstalled, then went into program files and erased all the DVD profiler stuff, including apparently some important DLL files (man I was an idiot, the first thing I learned about PCs years and years ago is to never delete files left around following an uninstall). I didn't just dump it in the recycle bin, nope I erased it, with an overwrite program, idiot that I am. Then DVD profiler installed and updated with no problems, I turned off my computer and went to bed.

Next morning it wouldn't turn on, wouldn't go any of the three safe modes, so you couldn't get to command prompt and last known good configuration wouldn't work. I cursed it and some time later recruited someone to help fix it last night. Well 3.5 hours later still hadn't managed to fix it, the best we were able to do was reinstall windows, unfortunately we failed to realize that all the stuff I wanted to save was in my documents which was somewhat overwritten. now I can get to the old my documents folder for whatever reason but it says it has zero bytes but access is forbidden to open it. It's also forbidden to get a dir on it from DOS and we couldn't seem to access it, so now I'm looking at pro data recovery places to get my info back since the amount of data on my harddrive is approx still the same so the info is still there.

Heh, my DVD collection ruined my computer. :)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
That sucks Adam, I'm glad I never got into that whole DVDProfiler thing. I never saw the point... I keep a simple and organized notepad file that I email to myself whenever I update my list. Sorry to hear about that, hopefully you're able to recover your files.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Hope everything works out for the best Marco.

But I have to ask about this;

"gravy" on "barbecue chicken"? :confused:

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Really, that isn't a common convention... maybe it's just a Canadian thing than?

BBQ chicken breast, fries, bun, gravy and coleslaw.

Anyways, I wish I'd ordered pizza.

:frowning:

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
Sorry to hear about your mishap. But don't you have your home contents insured? If you do, this is exactly what you're paying those premiums for! OK maybe you were careless, but it's still an accident and therefore a valid insurance claim.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
would spilling my lunch on my DVD's really be a valid ins. claim and how would it affect my policy?

I imagine an inspector would have to come over to inspect my DVD cases and would likely laugh at me.

As painfully upsetting as this is for me, I think that might be extreme...

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
Yes of course it's a valid claim - it's accidental damage of your home contents. Home contents insurance policies usually cover accidental damage in the home as well as losses due to fire, flood or theft. Your policy will probably have a deductible (or excess) amount that would be deducted from the value of the claim, but it should still be worth making a claim in this case.

And I doubt that your insurers would go to the trouble of sending out a claims adjuster in this case - their adjusters are usually far too busy dealing with really major losses!

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris

NOOOOOOOO!!!

DO NOT SUBMIT A CLAIM FOR THIS!

I don't know how it works in Canada, but after a break-in when I lived in DC, I submitted a claim for several hundred dollars worth of stlolen property. I thought everything was great until I moved and needed a new insurance policy. I was denied at one place because I had recently made a claim. I explained that it was due to theft and that I had a police report. No dice. No insurance. Thankfully, I found another company that was willing to cover me.

In the future, I will only make claims for major expenses.

Sorry for your loss, but I would strongly advise against making an insurance claim.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I think it may be more of a definition issue than a Canadian thing. If Brett's from the South (or some reasonable fascimile) the term BBQ has an entirely different meaning and nutritional constitution than in many places. In many places the term BBQ is used for any sort of grilled food whether it be charcoal, propane, hickory wood, etc. The classic Backyard (BBQ) Grill or having a Weekend BBQ Cookout isn't anywhere close to what is meant in the Southern US -- to us that's just Grilling Out or a party with cooking done outside -- hamburger, hot dogs, veggies, etc.

A true Southern BBQ can either be considered a food by itself or an entire preparation of a meal or actually be a cultural event. Usually Pork in the Southeast or Beef more commonly in the Southwest can take anywhere from 12-48 hours to cook properly with specially prepared wood and very special sauces made specifically for the meat itself -- tomato, mustard, vinegar based, and frequently spicy or even just plain hot. Ribs, brisket, flank, shoulders, or all inclusive. Adding gravy (I'm assuming some sort of Meat gravy??) would just about defeat the entire purpose of our BBQ since the sauce is about as important as the meat. If you really want to get into arguments around here, try to discuss the 'only' proper technique of 'real' barbecue (pig pickin', whole pig, beef vs pork, chopped/sliced, hickory wood or charcoal never gas, cooking with the sauce or adding the sauce afterwards, etc) and whether you can truly even BBQ a chicken since the meat doesn't really absorb the sauce or the wood flavor.

BBQ

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
The Quebecois [and don't expect me to find that accent mark] eat a great deal of odd or simply poor food. Basically, take the Cajun food eaten by their southern relatives, and remove all the spices... what's left isn't vey appetising. A Quebec City tourist guide remarks that there is no Michelin guidebook for the region, but if there were no restaurant in the city would rate more than one star. One of the most common foods there is a dish consisting of some form of potato, covered with some form of cheese and some form of brown gravy. The variations on this theme are endless.

All that said, I'm sorry to hear about the dreadful things which are happening to the members here. Like Marco, I keep my collection [LaserDiscs, actually, but the principle is the same] catalogued in a textfile; but I guess I go him one better by not storing the discs themselves in a place where food can get on them! I just hope the shelf doesn't collapse, because if it did my LDP would come down with a crash on to my computer.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

AH! A kindred spirit! I thought I was alone in the world in being so picky. :D

Adam_S: My condolences to you as well! :frowning:

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator

You could try e-mailing the studios and simply ask for new cases. I think some people on here before have mentioned that they did that, and the studios usually replace them for free (though it probably wouldn't hurt to offer to cover for expenses).

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
You mean poutine, which is a part of Quebec's heritage. :)

DVDs and gravy, hmm, don't think I'll be trying that soon. If you were in the US you could sue the restaurant. ;)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Marco, if you have any luck getting replacement covers from Warners, post here. I've got a Smallville outer box I wouldn't mind having replaced. If anyone's got an e-mail address to try, I'll try.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks