What's new

Is this wierd or am I just naive? (1 Viewer)

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Last week I took my Montero Sport in to the dealership for routine service. Last night I got a call from one of the salesmen who said they have someone who wants to buy it.

It's 2001 XS 3.5 4WD with only 19,000 miles, in very good condition, so I could understand someone wanting to buy it, but to call me cold like that, is that normal? Or are they just wanting to sell me a new car? :)

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
It all depends. How much are they willing to pay? :D

If you'd rather hold on to your car for now, just simply tell them it's not for sale. But I'd be just a bit suspicious of the dealer's true intentions such as collecting a commission on the sale.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Either they're just trying to get you to trade it in, or they really have a customer that's interested in it. Ask them if you can meet the buyer at their dealership and how much commission they want off the deal. If they really have a buyer, they're probably hoping to make 20% or more, but they aren't going to tell you that of course. Figure out what your car is worth in good condition from a dealer, that's always a higher value than trade-in or even private sale. And negotiate it off that. Even if you're not interested in selling, it might be kind of fun to mess with them for a bit.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
My guess is that they are just wanting to sell you a new car.These days it seems like almost anything goes.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
appear really interested, and then ask "you think i will get a good enough deal to buy that volkswagen touareg i wanted?" and see if they still want to sell it :) just to check to see if they are trying to sell you a new vehicle. maybe they have someone who genuinely wants to buy it, but i wouldnt be surprised to find out it was linked to you buying another car from them.

CJ

Marc S Kessler

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I'm old. I know this is a scam to get you to trade yours in. This has gone on for as long as I can remember.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I would say it's the same as those cards they mail out, you know, "we really want your old car on trade, come down and get ripped off blah blah blah"

JMO.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Actually it is not strange at all. If the Montero "used" market is poor, another words there are not many used ones available, dealers are known to contact current customers and ask if they are looking to sell or trade in. Usually you can get a very good price for your car this way.

I know as last summer, MINI dealers were calling current customers this way. Some trade-ins were getting unheard of prices.

If you are looking to sell or trade in ... do it.

Of course the dealers/salesman is getting a commission. They have to make a living. Some of you are always making it sound like, they are not supposed to make money and "always" have ulterior motives. :rolleyes

Pessimism runs rampant on this forum.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member

Well, of course they want you to buy a new car whether you sell yours or not. That's what their business is.

It may be a ploy, or the salesmen may really know someone who wants to buy it. Maybe it's one of the mechanics who worked on it. Find out what the offer is and go from there. Were it my car and I was willing to sell and the deal was in my favor, I'd go for it. If you're not willing to sell or the offer isn't good enough, just say no - no harm done.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Eh, call em back and see what they offer. If it sounds right take it and buy a Honda civic hybrid (have you seen the price of gasoline?!?!)

Julian Reville

Screenwriter

Actually, as much as I would like to have extremely good gas milage, it wouldn't save me that much: the Montero Sport only has 19,000 miles in over 4 years, so I don't drive a lot.

And if I did sell it, what I would really want is a 350Z. :)
I test drove an Eclipse Spider, the sportiest thing Mitsubishi has, and I wasn't too impressed, so I can't see doing a tradein at this dealer, unless they find an almost new 350Z for me.

I did tell the guy I would call him back next week.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
It's like Toyota Prius around here.. they are selling used for more then what they originally sold for new... so there are dealerships who've offered "enticements" for people to trade them in..

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I test drove an Eclipse Spider, the sportiest thing Mitsubishi has, and I wasn't too impressed, so I can't see doing a tradein at this dealer, unless they find an almost new 350Z for me.
the eclipse is a girly car, the lancer evo WAY blows the eclipse away in every respect, even though it is ugly as sin.

Personally I don't feel hybrids are financially viable when the VW TDi gets better mileage and costs less. (even with the tax incentives)

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I'd kill myself on a motorcycle. Or more likely, some little old lady driving a Lincoln would kill me. I'll be ready to go some day, just not yet.

I'm old and lazy now; an automatic tranny is a must.
I drove a 1970 240Z (a first year model) with the 4 speed manual (hot stuff back then) for 13 years. It was a great car; I paid about $1700 for it used; now I'm thinking of paying 25 times that!!! I must be nuts.

Buzz, thanks, but Mustangs, even GT convertibles just don't do anything for me.

That Infiniti G35 Coupe is nice; more room inside than the Z; same gas milage; couple of thousand more than the 350Z Touring that I was looking at. What!! Red exterior can't be matched with light grey interior???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks