What's new

Good websites showing golf swing form? (1 Viewer)

Mike D.

Stunt Coordinator
My new job reqires me to get more serious about golf. I've just been a 1-2 times a year player, although I take my kids to a family-oriented driving range probably once a week or so in the summer. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could point me to good websites with demos of proper swing form and the like so I can start thinking about this sort of stuff when we are at the driving range..

Don't google "golf videos"! lol, way too broad a search term...

I am getting father/son lessons in June, just thinking it might make sense to start on some of the basics now.

Thanks!

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Try hunting for "perfect golf swing", should get you in the right direction.

I wish my job required me to get more serious about golf:)

Brent

Neal_C

Second Unit
Find a pro and get golf lessons. I know you are doing it in June, but maybe start before then on your own. If you start looking at Golf Digest or Golf Magazine or websites of golf swings, you are going to see different ones constantly. No two people swing the club exactly the same.

If you really want to be serious about getting better, get lessons, you won't regret it.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Agree with Neal_C. My job didn't require it, but I wanted to get better. Take lessons - and after a while if possible, throw in some on-the-course lessons as well.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
This is my 46th year playing golf - I've learned a few things. It is very unlikely - nearly impossible - to learn to play golf by watching videos or looking a swing sequences in magazines or books. Trust me on this. These things are useful, to be sure, but you have to know what to look for as well as have an understanding of your own swing. As has been recommended, lessons from a pro is the way to go. Group lessons are not quite as good (because the teacher is not focusing on you full time) but are a excellent place to start if the teacher knows what he/she is doing. If you can get into group lessons earlier, go for it, I say. Also - do you have access to a camcorder? If you do, have someone record your swing. You'll be shocked at how different your swing reality is from the ideal.

Neal_C

Second Unit
It was late last night when I made my other post, so let me clarify my position a little bit.

I'm only 27, but have been playing golf for 22 years. I played high school, Div. 1 college on a scholarship, and now am playing some mini-tour events and plan to go to PGA Tour Q-school later this year. In between college and playing now I worked in the golf business for 3 years as an assistant, working the counter and giving lessons.

To be able to copy a golf swing from a tape or a magazine, you have to have a very good eye for what is going on in a golf swing. Its tough to know everything that goes on in your own swing, much less have the ability to analyze others swings and adapt their principles into your own swing. This is why teaching pro's make $75+/hour to teach. They have the eye to analyze golf swings. Not everyone has this ability.

Like I said before, there are no two exact golf swings. Everyone has their own methods, swing mechanics, etc. There is no one perfect way to swing the club, as is evident by watching the tour pros on tv. You have everywhere from the nearly perfect golf swing of Adam Scott, to the aesthetically perfect swing of Steve Elkington all the way to the home made golf swing of Jim Furyk. These swings are not the same but they all get the job done.

Skip the magazines, skip the websites, skip watching playing lessons on the golf channel. Find a pro who communicates well to you and get some lessons.

And don't get frustrated if you don't get better right away. It will come. It takes time. Golf is not a game of perfect, it is a game of limiiting your mistakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks