-

Photo
- - - - -

New Polk In-Wall Subs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst

Screenwriter

• 2,589 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 07:14 PM

Found this kind of interesting:

Quote:
3 new built-in Subs coming (June)
Now you can have your bass and your living space too. How? Build subwoofers right into your wall, ceiling or floor. Polk is making it easy by unleashing three new built-in subwoofers for custom installation this June. The CSW88 is sized for in-wall placement, and features dual 8-inch long-throw, shallow basket woofers in a sealed enclosure. The CSW100 is an in-ceiling/in-floor design that can be placed in entertainment cabinets. The CSW200 is a direct radiating 10-inch driver in a vented MDF enclosure. All three built-ins are powered by an external Class D amplifier, the SWA500, which produces 500 Watts Continuous into 4 Ohms and can easily power up two woofers to rafter-shaking levels. But best of all they take up no floor space and all you see is a teeny weeny grille.

The information that I received was part of an E-mail communication from them. I'm not trying to endorse Polk in any way, but it does look like a good option for some folks in need of bass. Posted Image
"My reality check ... just bounced"

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Thomas_A

Thomas_A

Second Unit

• 401 posts

Posted April 15 2005 - 02:16 AM

When I was doing my usual looking at Parts Express...I had seen MTX and there are several other's who have IN wall subs. Yes..kind of a neet thing. Ive also seen in floor and in celing subs as well Posted Image

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Jackson L

Jackson L

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted April 15 2005 - 04:39 AM

The ultimate in-wall sub is an infinite baffle system. Posted Image
IF everything seems all right then you've obviously overlooked something.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter

• 1,365 posts

Posted April 15 2005 - 05:26 PM

The ultimate in-wall sub is an infinite baffle system.

Posted Image

When I am a big boy and get out of college, get a real job, and buy my first home, and am going to stop playing around and build a MONDO IB sub. I like the one with the 12 drivers in it.

Yummy.

I still don't understand the physics on how a IB works so well.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst

Screenwriter

• 2,589 posts

Posted April 16 2005 - 12:00 AM

Of course, "true" IB subs are the way to go. I basically posted the Polk in-wall information as I thought it was a good attempt by by a company to address the needs of a purchaser by offering more options. Some people are still too intimidated to cut holes in drywall, etc. on their homes. If they were having a house built, they could just purchase the Polk sub and have their contractor build it in before drywall was applied.

As far as IB subs go, you don't really need "mondo" to accomplish the task. My (2) IB 15 driver setup nicely powers my 14 x 21 x 8 family room. Posted Image

Here's a pic before I installed the cold air return grills to cover the drivers:
Posted Image
The Finished product:
Posted Image
"My reality check ... just bounced"

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Tim Stumpf

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted April 16 2005 - 02:32 AM

That's really cool Wayne. I bet people are surprised when a bunch of "thump thump" come out of what appears to be an air duct or something. I want one.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter

• 1,365 posts

Posted April 16 2005 - 04:31 AM

Or when one of those return covers blows off the wall, decapitating a good friend Posted Image

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted April 18 2005 - 05:05 AM

Quote:
That's really cool Wayne. I bet people are surprised when a bunch of "thump thump" come out of what appears to be an air duct or something. I want one.
The beauty part is that you don't localize bass that well, so the bass just "seems" like it's coming out of the mains. This effect is especially smooth because IBs tend to have such fantastic performance characteristics.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

Forum Nav Content I Follow