Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Star Trek- how much do you own?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
70 replies to this topic

#1 of 71 Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit

• 485 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 07:06 AM

There's five series equalling 25 box sets (so far including ENT Season 1). There were 40 single discs (which sucked most of us in).
Then there were the movies. Two versions of seven films and another three in the series.

No animated series yet.

I have the 40 disc original series (which I'm NOT trading up) single disc versions of Star trek II- VI, 2 disc set of First Contact and a single disc of Insurrection.

I'd like to own the complete TNG, the complete DS9 2 disc versions of the movies and maybe even Enterprise (I HATE Voyager though). Price is a MAJOR factor here. The box sets are just too expensive. I put up with the price on X Files (I still haven't purchased past Season 6 on it) and at least the few spin-offs were reasonably priced. Star Trek has 18 box sets at $150 a piece. Retail, that's $2700! Who can afford that?

So where do you draw the line?
www.notinmybook.comWhere I can complain and complain and complain.

#2 of 71 marcus_h

marcus_h

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 07:12 AM

I too have the 40 disc original series and the Next Gen box sets. That's where I drew the line after paramount went ahead and re-released The Original Series yet again at a cheaper price. I won't upgrade the original series, and I won't be buying any of the other series unless they finally have a dramtic price drop. Having said that, I do have a hankering for the Original Series Animated cartoon set by filmation and I make pick that up when it becomes available.

#3 of 71 Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 07:27 AM

Where to begin...

There are 6 series, including the animated series (not yet available on DVD). 4 are currently complete on DVD, with Enterprise on the way.

There are 24 TV boxed season sets (not 18), plus 4 more complete series sets, plus the TOS single disc packages. Not to mention the Picard boxed set... and I could easily be missing something else in the TV realm...

While these are highly priced (no argument), $150 is not the SRP for any of the Trek sets... there is no SRP. Why must people over inflate these... does it just sound better in a rant? E-tailer or brick and morter warehouse club price on the sets ranges from about $84.99 to about $115. Brick and morter outlets like Best Buy have these at $110 and under.

Without even doing any comparison shopping, Amazon has TNG sets for $111.99 each, or a seven season set for $583.98 (which works out to $83.43 per season).

I have:
3 TOS season sets
7 TNG season sets
7 DS9 season sets
7 VOY season sets
All 2 disc collector's editions of the films
The 1 disc Insurrection DVD.

-Scott

#4 of 71 DougFND

DougFND

Second Unit

• 250 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 07:36 AM

For DVD, I have the new issues of the first seven films and the original issues of the last two. I may pick up the new FC DVD this weekend.

Still have the first eight films on laserdisc. I had Insurrection, which is supposedly kind of rare, but sold it to pick up a better copy. Unfortunately, the second deal fell through.

Still have the first seven in various VHS releases. I also have several VHS box sets of the first five and six films, including the the still sealed and allegedly very rare 25th Anniversary box set in the red box. I bought it at a Saturday Matinee in the Niagara Falls area in 1992 for $200. I'm sure it's worth nothing now, but I still find it cool to display.

As for the different series, haven't bought one yet. I just can't bring myself to pay $100/season. I may start picking them up used on eBay.

#5 of 71 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,338 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 14 2005 - 07:36 AM

I have the following:

All three seasons of TOS
All seven seasons of TNG (bought a few used)
2-disc versions of movies through "First Contact"
single disc versions of last two movies

I will not be upgrading the final two movies to the 2-disc versions, since I didn't care for them that much. I only bought the first 15 discs of the TOS, and was able to sell them to cover the price of the first season compilation. I passed on DS9 because of the price, and Voyager because I didn't care for the series. I've never watched Enterprise, and doubt I'll be picking up the DVD sets because of the price.

So, I'm pretty much done buying Star Trek on DVD.

#6 of 71 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,002 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 08:22 AM

LD's of the TOS films and TOS series.

25th Anniversay LD widescreen box set from Star Trek 1 to 5.

SpaceDock LD box set of Star Trek 1 to 7.

LD boxset of TOS Animated Series

LD's of the TNG films till they stopped, LD's of the Q set and Captain's set (One epsidoe of TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager).

First releases of Star Trek 2 to 10, and Nemesis on DVD.

Collectors Editions of Star Trek 1 to 8 DVD. Plus one extra Star Trek-TMP DVD autographed by Robert Wise.

1999 TOS DVD indie sets, 2004 TOS DVD season sets.

TNG, DS9 and Voyager DVD season box sets.

Next up is Enterprise, the remaining CE films and TAS on DVD. I think that covers most of it....until Hi Def.

#7 of 71 Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 08:38 AM

3 seasons TOS
7 seasons TNG
7 seasons DS9

First 8 2-disk movie versions
Nemesis
Single disk version of TWOK (for the original non-director's cut, of course).
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#8 of 71 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,596 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted April 14 2005 - 09:20 AM

I have none. Way too overpriced for my interest level. I would love to have the Original series set's, but $120 CDN bones just bugs me. I don't think it's worth it. I really want the future Animated set as well, but I'm not paying that price point. The Animated set should only be at max $45 (there's only about 24 episodes right?) and I wont pay much more than that, since I can get stuff like Batman Animated and such for about $35, with more episodes.

I'm not much of a fan of the other series, but I still think they are way overpriced.
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#9 of 71 Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 09:39 AM

Special Editions of the movies: 1,2,4,6,7
All 7 seasons of TOS, TNG, DS9.
Not worth it: Voyager and Enterprise.
I have the cartoons on videotape.

#10 of 71 CaseyL

CaseyL

Supporting Actor

• 803 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 09:43 AM

Special Editions of all films currently available, plus the OS season sets. TNG will be mine if I can scrounge up the $$$. I may buy Enterprise, but I'm yet undecided. I'll totally buy TAS if it ever comes out.

#11 of 71 Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 10:20 AM

I have the entire TNG and DS9. I also have the entire movies available to this date and I mean the entire movies. All the versions!

#12 of 71 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,719 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 11:01 AM

Way too much. Not counting video tapes:
All the box sets from TOS, TNG and DS9
All 40 original TOS discs
All 10 film discs
All 8 CE film discs

I will be getting Enterprise Season 4 only. I realized I just wouldn't watch 1-3. And seeing as how I rarely have time to go back and watch the other DVDs (I don't even have time to see the new ones I buy), I will limit Enterprise to season 4, which I have really enjoyed.

I won't buy Voyager.

#13 of 71 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 11:40 AM

I have none of the Trek television series because they are overpriced. I'd have liked to have bought all the Next Generation tv seasons, and I would have if they'd been ~$40.

I will buy Enterprise season one and season four at the blackmail price of $100, if I can afford it at the time. Which is not assured.

Hey Paramount! Non-rich people like Trek too! Stop f'ing with the average wage earner!
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#14 of 71 RandyAW

RandyAW

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 02:01 PM

I would love to own some Trek but I would never ever pay that kind of money for a DVD set. If SG1 and other hour long shows can sell a season for 50 or so, Paramount can sell Trek for that as well.

#15 of 71 Colby

Colby

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted April 14 2005 - 03:11 PM

I suppose could never be a real Trekkie; I love Voyager. It's my favorite Trek series. It's the only one I own on DVD. Right now I have seasons 3 & 7. I got each one off eBay for under $55 (shipping included). One was brand new, the other had the shrinkwrap cut. I just give myself a $50-$60 budget and then watch eBay constantly.

I was in Best Buy just today and they had seasons 2-5. On the same shelf I saw prices vary at least $20. It's crazy. Really, nobody should ever pay any more than $100 for one of these sets.

#16 of 71 Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 03:35 PM

All 3 TOS Box sets

All 7 TNG sets

All 7 DS9 sets

All 2-disc movies so far

Hell, I even have Nemesis

Basically, I own all the current box sets EXCEPT Voyager. I simply have no interest in it. It failed to hold my interest when it was on TV... so I have no desire to own it...and that's coming from a serious Trekkie. Posted Image (I *will* be buying Enterprise.)

#17 of 71 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 03:38 PM

"Too much" would be my wife's answer Posted Image

My collection is very similar to Paul's (post #7) and Tony's above:-

3 seasons TOS (in the collected sleeve)
7 seasons TNG (R2)
7 seasons DS9 (R2)
First 7 movies in 2-disc CEs (FC on order with Amazon, probably ships this weekend with stuff being released)

I also have the Next Gen boxset of movies, containing Generations, First Contact and Insurrection, which I'll probably unload soon (assuming anyone wants to buy this.)

Still to buy upon release: TAS (never seen before); Insurrection and Nemesis CEs (I'm a bit of a completist, not that I have any real love for these two movies, but they won't cost that much anyway.)

I might consider Voyager and Enterprise only if the price drops. Since I'm willing to buy R2, Amazon.co.uk sometimes slashes the prices of the boxsets a year or so after release, e.g. when I first bought TNG and early DS9s immediately upon release, they cost me nearly 60 pounds each, I slowed down buying later on in DS9's run, partly because the pound had appreciated so much, and later on the price was cut to just under 40 pounds each so I could complete my DS9 collection paying less. But that's still a hefty chunk of change.

#18 of 71 Sebastien S

Sebastien S

Second Unit

• 373 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 08:17 PM

I have:

All 7 seasons of TNG, DS9 & Voyager. I also have the 2 disc editions of movies 1 through 8 and the single disc edition of both the 8th & 9th movie but I plan to "double dip" on "Insurections" when it comes out as the 2 disc edition in June.

I also have Enterprise season 1 pre-ordered! Posted Image
Regards

-Seb

My DVD's

#19 of 71 Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted April 15 2005 - 01:38 AM

Pretty much anything and everything - as my wife, mother, and mother-in-law would say, way too much! lol!

Here's what I've got to date:

VHS:
The Cage - All Color Collector's Edition (#99)
Inside Star Trek: The Real Story
Journey's End: The Saga of Star Trek: The Next Generation
Star Trek: 25th Anniversary Special
Star Trek: TAS - Volumes 2, 3, 4
Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Special Longer Version (the 142-minute cut, that is)
Star Trek: The Starfleet Collection (limited edition #3413 of 5000) of the first six feature films (including original theatrical cuts of I and II, Director's Series edition of IV, and original recut version of VI).

DVD:
Star Trek: TOS - Volumes 1, 8, 34, and 40 (single-disc versions)
Star Trek: TOS - Seasons 1-3
Star Trek: TNG - Seasons 1-7 (with all 7 bonus discs)
Star Trek: TNG - The Jean-Luc Picard Collection
Star Trek: DS9 - Seasons 1-6 (with bonus discs from all 7 sets)
Star Trek: Voyager - Seasons 3-7
Star Trek: Enterprise - Season 1
the first nine ST feature films in 2-disc collector's edition sets
ST: Insurrection - single-disc release
ST: Nemesis - single-disc release

Still waiting for DS9 S7, VOY S1 and S2 at this point. Looking forward to getting them, along with the remaining Enterprise DVD sets.
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#20 of 71 Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,169 posts

Posted April 15 2005 - 02:21 AM

Well, here's my current Star Trek DVD collection:

Star Trek: TOS Seasons 1-3 Box sets All three boxes were purchased new. (I had previously purchased the initial 40 disc set of TOS, but no longer own any of them. I gave some to relatives and friends as gifts, and sold off the rest.)

Star Trek: TNG Seasons 1-7 Box sets:
Seasons 1,2,3,4, and 5 were purchased new; Seasons 6 and 7 were purchased used. I swore for years that I would never purchase the Season 2 box (didn't want to pay for "Shades of Gray"); but last week I suddenly realized that that was the only season of Trek that I didn't own, so I finally broke down and purchased it. (Plus, after viewing Voyager's Threshold, "Shades of Gray" doesn't look all that bad anymore!)

Star Trek: DS9 Seasons 1-7 Box sets: All purchased new. This is the series that shines the best on DVD!

Star Trek: Voyager Seasons 1-7 Box sets: All purchased used. I wouldn't have purchased this series otherwise. I paid just $39.95/box for Seasons 1-3 and $49.95/box for Seasons 4-7! At those prices "Resistance is ..." oh, never mind!

I also own the 2-disc movie collections of :
The Motion Picture
The Wrath of Khan
The Voyage Home
The Final Frontier
The Undiscovered Country
Generations
First Contact

I own the single disc movie versions of:
The Search for Spock
Insurrection
Nemesis

As for Enterprise: I'll probably wait and see if I can pick it up used.

(I'm not even gonna' think about all the Star Trek VHS stuff that I've purchased in the past!)

"Live Long and Prosper" ... Indeed! We have to, in order to purchase all this stuff!!
Joseph
---------------