What's new

Took the FP Plunge - ScreenPlay 5000 (1 Viewer)

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
I've been contemplating a FP for quite some time and just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. I wanted 1280x720 at a minimum and my short list contained the Panasonic AE700 and the Sanyo Z3 - but both are in the $1,800 to $2,000 range including shipping and tax (and after MIR on the AE700).

Yesterday Woot had the ScreenPlay 5000 for $1,199 (+ $5 shipping) - and I couldn't pass it up at this price-point for my first FP. (Note: This ScreenPlay is Infocus factory refurbished and comes with a 90-day Infocus warranty.)

Anyone else have the ScreenPlay 5000 and care to pass along any tips or suggestions regarding set-up, tweaks, hook-ups, etc.? The projector will be used in an upstairs Bonus Room (16' x 22' with 9' ceilings) currently painted in flat white. Initially, the projector will only be used at night because the Bonus Room has enough windows to double as a green-house (though all of the windows have wood-blinds). Also, I will start-off with the projector table-mounted projecting onto a blank wall with an image size of 120" diagonal.

Coming tasks and projects include painting the walls and ceiling (color selection up to my wife - flat paint and the darker the better), building a DIY screen, purchasing an upconverting DVD player, buying and installing a ceiling mount, and covering the windows with drapes and / or shades to darken the room.

I'm really excited about my first foray into FP and would appreciate any tips or suggestions. Thanks!

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
hmmmmmm... I have heard that you could buy a brand new 5000 for $1,199 (not refurbed) from authorized dealers. Either way it is a GREAT deal and you should be psyched. The thing you should do to tweek it is buy either Avia or V.E. They will help calibrate the machine properly for you viewing area. Good luck and keep us posted on what you think of it.

MikeSRC

Second Unit

I believe you're thinking of the 4805. The SP5000 is $1799 from any authorized dealer.

Anyway, $1200 for a 720p projector is a nice deal. :emoji_thumbsup:

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Congratulations. At this price, most can no longer use the price as the reason not to get into FP. It looks like you have your bases covered.

James Phung

Second Unit
Be sure to upgrade the firmware. The new firmware makes it quieter and gets rid of a lot of vertical banding, so I hear.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor

Nope.........Just look around for authorized on-line dealers....and call them. They list the msrp but you will find it for that low price if you want to search hard enough. I own a 4805 so I was not thinking that projector. Either way, like we all say, he got a GREAT DEAL and should be psyched!!

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
Thanks to all for the tips.

Thank you for the reminders Evan and James - two additional items to add to my To-Do Checklist. I do have VE - it's packed-away somewhere. Also, I just checked the Infocus web-site support for the firmware upgrade procedures (Firmware version 9 from 11/17/2004 is the most recent). I'll be sure to check the projector when it arrives for the installed version.

Thanks again. Any additional suggestions / recommendations / potential pitfalls to avoid?

Jeff,

Congrats on the PJ. I have had my 5000 since November and love it. I have no other PJ experience but for the money I don't see how it can get any better than this. I have never gotten around to using DVE but I did use the test pattern on some DVD and lowered the contrast down to around 42 to get all of the boxes to look right. The fan noise was never a problem for me before or after the firmware upgrade. And I have never seen any VB either. I am using the HK DVD-22 for movies and Cablevision for HD and it is simply fantastic. I am watching in the basement on a wall painted with Bear silverscreen. You will definitely want to use blackout cloth on the windows as sunlight can be a killer. Although some ambient light is fine. Good luck and if you have any other questions I will do my best to answer them.

Howard

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
Thank you Howard - I do appreciate it. I was looking for satisified SP5000 owners to bounce ideas off of and seek advice once my projector arrives (scheduled for Tuesday!).

I'm going to go the blackout cloth route (or blackout cloth lined room-darkening drapes) on the windows but that's probably a couple of months away. Until then it's going to be night-time viewing only.

I'm going to be primarily using the projector for DVD viewing and I'll be looking into broadcast HD (either cable or DirecTV) sometime in the future. As far as DVD viewing, are you feeding your SP5000 a 480p signal via component from your HK DVD-22 and then having the projector scale it to 720p? Or, does the HK DVD-22 have a DVI or HDMI output? Have you looked into, or tried, an upscaling / upconverting DVD player?

Thanks again.

Jeff,

I tried a Samsung 841 (i think that was the #) and a Zenith 318 upscaling over component. I was not impressed by either, I think the HK looks far better than both using 480i. There is a slight problem with the HK. When running 480p there is two inches chopped off the right side of the picture. I have been in touch with HK tech support there is a firmware upgrade due out shortly that is supposed to fix the problem. I would imagine upgrading to a high-end unit like the Dennon would look better but I wad not about to spend ~$1000 for a dvd player.

Kenneth,

If I could tell the difference between black and blacker than balck I would gladly let you know. What I can tell you is myself and anyone else who has seen the picture is blown away my the clarity and brightness. I don't see how anyone could be disappointed!

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
I received my projector yesterday . . . and it was DOA out of the box. :frowning:

I was so excited - I read the manual - I hooked up the cables - and I anxiously waited for nightfall. Then the time came for power-up and "let there be light" . . . and it was not good. The zoom ring worked fine but the focus ring was jammed / broken. I was unable to focus the image. :frowning:

I had to wait until morning to call InFocus customer service / technical support to get this resolved. They were very courteous and accomodating, and promptly issued a RMA to return the projector to them. Upon receipt, InFocus will ship me a replacement projector (estimated turn-around time including shipping both ways - 10 days).

A disappointing turn of events, but a promising outcome forthcoming given InFocus' customer service.

A side note: I was so excited to have the projector in hand that I actually watched the first 10 minutes of Shark Tale out of focus. I was sitting there telling my wife, "Honey, check out that image size and those vibrant colors!" :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks