Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"Fox Reuniting Itself with 'Family Guy'"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
120 replies to this topic

#1 of 121 OFFLINE   Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted April 13 2005 - 01:04 PM

Here's an article about Family Guy (free registration (or firefox bugmenot extension) required):
http://www.latimes.c....ck=2&cset=true

Now, "Family Guy" is officially "uncanceled," Fox's website says. On May 1, fresh episodes will begin airing on Fox. How will it do in the ratings the second time around? News Corp. executives say it doesn't matter much. This time, their business model is not built around ratings-driven advertising but relies instead on license fees from cable and sales of new DVDs and merchandise — including coffee table books, CDs, cellphone ring tones and games.

The return of "Family Guy" illustrates the shifting dynamics of the TV industry. As the proliferation of digital video recorders such as TiVo Inc.'s device enables more people to watch TV when they wish, 30-second advertisements are losing some of their luster.

...Fox executives have ordered into production 35 new episodes of "Family Guy," even though the network has thus far committed to airing only 13.

"We're producing 35 no matter what," Newman said, noting that old episodes of "Family Guy" have also developed a following on cable's Cartoon Network. "Even if it doesn't work for the Fox network, the Cartoon Network wants them. By producing new episodes we will be able to keep this thing alive."

Cable channels Cartoon Network and TBS, both owned by Time Warner Inc., have dibs on the new episodes after their initial broadcast on Fox.

News Corp.'s HarperCollins Publishers unit on April 26 will release the book "Family Guy: Stewie's Guide to World Domination," which features such riffs as "Why teething is not for the faint of heart," and "Why women are such confounding and wicked creatures." The 20th Century Fox film studio plans a "Family Guy" movie on DVD by the end of the year.

Fox Music partnered with Geffen Records to produce a soon-to-be-released CD titled "Family Guy: Live in Las Vegas." MacFarlane describes it as "a blend of the rich, lush arrangements of the classic era of Rat Pack Vegas shows combined with the fart jokes of today."

On Friday, the "Family Guy" voice actors including MacFarlane, who does the voices of three characters, including Stewie, will stage two live performances at the Wiltern LG theater in Los Angeles. Late this month, they will do the same in New York.

#2 of 121 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,935 posts

Posted April 13 2005 - 01:21 PM

Cool news, but I would have enjoyed the new episodes on Adultswim.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#3 of 121 OFFLINE   Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted April 13 2005 - 01:26 PM

Fox treats "Arrested Development" like a red-headed stepchild yet they give Seth MacFarlane two shows when he couldn't keep one on the air before? What the hell is going on here?
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#4 of 121 OFFLINE   Sean Moon

Sean Moon

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted April 13 2005 - 02:56 PM

You know why they are kissing Seth MacFarlane's ass? Have you seen the DVD sales for Family Guy? Its insane.
http://doctordoom.blogspot.com

We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#5 of 121 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,935 posts

Posted April 13 2005 - 03:12 PM

Off the topic, what ever happened to American Dad?
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#6 of 121 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,318 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 13 2005 - 03:16 PM

It comes back in May (and unless it's gets better, it'll be gone by June). The episode that played after the Super Bowl was just a preview of the series.

#7 of 121 OFFLINE   Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted April 13 2005 - 06:01 PM

Quote:
You know why they are kissing Seth MacFarlane's ass? Have you seen the DVD sales for Family Guy? Its insane.

Insane? No, we aren't talking "Lion King" numbers here. What you have with "Family Guy" is nothing more than a failed show exceeding expectations in terms of DVD sales. "Family Guy" has a loyal fanbase, I'll give it that. The fact of the matter is this: DVD sales and TV ratings are two totally different things. Let's say every single person that bought a "Family Guy" DVD tunes in to the new episodes. No, let's say that every single person that bought a "Family Guy" DVD gets ten people to tune in with them. It's not gonna be enough to keep the show afloat. Fox is taking a big chance with "Family Guy". They try to bring up figures based on DVD sales and late-night cable airings, but the 3 years it struggled on a major network are far more telling. Cartoon Network will always be there to pick the show up, but mark my words, MacFarlane's shows will not last on Fox. One needs look no further than your local "Hot Topic" store to see what Fox's real motivations are. "Arrested Development" may be a hundred times funnier than "Family Guy" but you aren't going to sell George Michael Bluth shirts to 13-year-old potheads.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#8 of 121 OFFLINE   Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 12:36 AM

What a surprise...a Family Guy thread and a Bill GrandPre bitch session. We get it, you hate MacFarlane.
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#9 of 121 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 02:46 AM

Bill,

Nice threadcraps. You should get a prize. Posted Image Posted Image

By the way, everything that you like, somebody hates. But they probably have enough good sense to refrain from ranting about it in the wrong place.

#10 of 121 OFFLINE   Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 02:48 AM

I gotta agree a little. Though the show has definitely gained more interest on DVD. Most people had never seen it until it was cancelled, now they watch it religiously.

I have a feeling the ratings aren't going to skyrocket... but they'll definitely be higher than they were before. Considering the cut in the budget I think FOX made a wise decision, economically, in bringing it back.

#11 of 121 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 14 2005 - 04:30 AM

Wasn't Family Guy the #1 top-selling TV on DVD release that year?

Also, to be frank, Arrested Development is clever and funny, but it may also be the most overrated show of the past 10 years. The drooling over it is becoming tiresome.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#12 of 121 OFFLINE   BrianV

BrianV

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 04:54 AM

Quote:
Wasn't Family Guy the #1 top-selling TV on DVD release that year?

I believe it oustold The Simpsons and was a huge surprise. The DVD sales were what spurred Fox to bring it back, for which I'm very thankful.

For the record I love Family Guy *and* Arrested Development. I gave AD Season 1 DVD sets to people as Christmas presents - just doing my part to keep that show on the air.

#13 of 121 OFFLINE   KyleC

KyleC

Supporting Actor

• 845 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 06:50 AM

If only they thought that way about John Doe or Wonderfalls.

#14 of 121 OFFLINE   Stephen Ford

Stephen Ford

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 06:59 AM

#15 of 121 OFFLINE   Sean Moon

Sean Moon

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 07:20 AM

I think it was the best selling TV on DVD set that came out that year. But didnt Chappelle Show outsell all TV sets?
http://doctordoom.blogspot.com

We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#16 of 121 OFFLINE   NickSo

NickSo

Producer

• 4,274 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 07:37 AM

Posted Image
Quote:
DVD sales and TV ratings are two totally different things.
Quote:
This time, their business model is not built around ratings-driven advertising but relies instead on license fees from cable and sales of new DVDs and merchandise

Quote:
No FG aired after the Supebowl. That was american dad.
The series premiere of family guy, the very first epsiode was premiered after the supwerbowl.

#17 of 121 OFFLINE   Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas

Screenwriter

• 2,044 posts

Posted April 16 2005 - 05:21 AM

I never got into Family Guy when it was first on. I don't know why, it never struck my interest, the first few shows weren't that good, and the commercials can't really capture the essence of the show. Last August some friends got me to watching it, and now I absolutely love it. I'm glad they're bringing it back and maybe this time they can keep it alive.

So what do they do to Arrested Development that is worse than the way they treat most of their shows? Doesn't it have a good time slot? Isn't it in prime-time (unlike Futurama)? I see lots of advertisements, and I watch very little on Fox. Seems like for a Fox show, they're treating it very well?

#18 of 121 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,318 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 16 2005 - 05:59 AM

"So what do they do to Arrested Development that is worse than the way they treat most of their shows?"

For the ratings that Arrested Development gets, Fox treats it like gold (which it completely deserves it). They've promoted the hell out of it, given it a great and regular timeslot, and run it steadily without alot of pre-emptions or reruns. The problem is that it just doesn't seem to catch on with a larger audience.

#19 of 121 OFFLINE   NickSo

NickSo

Producer

• 4,274 posts

Posted April 23 2005 - 11:40 AM

the first episode of the new season is HILARIOUS... the story wasnt that intersting, but it really has many lots of LOL moments... good to see they havent lost anything from their hiatus...

the opening scene is gold Posted Image

#20 of 121 OFFLINE   Jason Adams

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor

• 631 posts

Posted April 23 2005 - 11:48 AM

NickSo...where did you happen to see this first episode?

I have snipers waiting outside your living quarters if you dont answer by tomorrow. Posted Image

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow