What's new

"Fox Reuniting Itself with 'Family Guy'" (1 Viewer)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Fox treats "Arrested Development" like a red-headed stepchild yet they give Seth MacFarlane two shows when he couldn't keep one on the air before? What the hell is going on here?

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
You know why they are kissing Seth MacFarlane's ass? Have you seen the DVD sales for Family Guy? Its insane.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Insane? No, we aren't talking "Lion King" numbers here. What you have with "Family Guy" is nothing more than a failed show exceeding expectations in terms of DVD sales. "Family Guy" has a loyal fanbase, I'll give it that. The fact of the matter is this: DVD sales and TV ratings are two totally different things. Let's say every single person that bought a "Family Guy" DVD tunes in to the new episodes. No, let's say that every single person that bought a "Family Guy" DVD gets ten people to tune in with them. It's not gonna be enough to keep the show afloat. Fox is taking a big chance with "Family Guy". They try to bring up figures based on DVD sales and late-night cable airings, but the 3 years it struggled on a major network are far more telling. Cartoon Network will always be there to pick the show up, but mark my words, MacFarlane's shows will not last on Fox. One needs look no further than your local "Hot Topic" store to see what Fox's real motivations are. "Arrested Development" may be a hundred times funnier than "Family Guy" but you aren't going to sell George Michael Bluth shirts to 13-year-old potheads.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
What a surprise...a Family Guy thread and a Bill GrandPre bitch session. We get it, you hate MacFarlane.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Bill,

Nice threadcraps. You should get a prize. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

By the way, everything that you like, somebody hates. But they probably have enough good sense to refrain from ranting about it in the wrong place.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I gotta agree a little. Though the show has definitely gained more interest on DVD. Most people had never seen it until it was cancelled, now they watch it religiously.

I have a feeling the ratings aren't going to skyrocket... but they'll definitely be higher than they were before. Considering the cut in the budget I think FOX made a wise decision, economically, in bringing it back.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Wasn't Family Guy the #1 top-selling TV on DVD release that year?

Also, to be frank, Arrested Development is clever and funny, but it may also be the most overrated show of the past 10 years. The drooling over it is becoming tiresome.

BrianV

Stunt Coordinator

I believe it oustold The Simpsons and was a huge surprise. The DVD sales were what spurred Fox to bring it back, for which I'm very thankful.

For the record I love Family Guy *and* Arrested Development. I gave AD Season 1 DVD sets to people as Christmas presents - just doing my part to keep that show on the air.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I think it was the best selling TV on DVD set that came out that year. But didnt Chappelle Show outsell all TV sets?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
:rolleyes The series premiere of family guy, the very first epsiode was premiered after the supwerbowl.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I never got into Family Guy when it was first on. I don't know why, it never struck my interest, the first few shows weren't that good, and the commercials can't really capture the essence of the show. Last August some friends got me to watching it, and now I absolutely love it. I'm glad they're bringing it back and maybe this time they can keep it alive.

So what do they do to Arrested Development that is worse than the way they treat most of their shows? Doesn't it have a good time slot? Isn't it in prime-time (unlike Futurama)? I see lots of advertisements, and I watch very little on Fox. Seems like for a Fox show, they're treating it very well?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
"So what do they do to Arrested Development that is worse than the way they treat most of their shows?"

For the ratings that Arrested Development gets, Fox treats it like gold (which it completely deserves it). They've promoted the hell out of it, given it a great and regular timeslot, and run it steadily without alot of pre-emptions or reruns. The problem is that it just doesn't seem to catch on with a larger audience.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
the first episode of the new season is HILARIOUS... the story wasnt that intersting, but it really has many lots of LOL moments... good to see they havent lost anything from their hiatus...

the opening scene is gold :D

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
NickSo...where did you happen to see this first episode?

I have snipers waiting outside your living quarters if you dont answer by tomorrow. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks