What's new

Center rear surround speaker (1 Viewer)

Kurt_I

Auditioning
I'm planning my basement home theater right now. At the back wall, I intend to put a single center rear speaker for 6.1 surround. Is there any concensus on what speaker type is best - i.e. dipole or direct radiating? Does it depend on what I have for side surrounds? Currently I have direct side surrounds but I'm planning to go for dipoles. If direct is recommended, should I match the front center speaker or is that overkill? Thanks.

SteveLeach

Stunt Coordinator
When you're talking about speakers, it gets subjective very quickly. What I think sounds "right" may sound like finger nails on a blackboard to you. It's not really an answer, but the only "right" answer is to experiment, and determine what sounds best to you.

Mark McGill

Stunt Coordinator
I hope that you are going to run an extra line for 7.1. It's a lot cheaper now than later. Also run a extra RG6 to the back somewhere for an extra sub sometime. Wire is cheap!!!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
My opinion...

with 6.1 my preference in the back centre is a direct radiating (monopole) speaker to "anchor" the rear soundstage. Actually, I would get all rear speakers the same or matching.

Moved to speakers

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'm torn on this....

anchoring the rear soundstage is point for monopole.

In the real world, while not as anchored, I have had some really neato results with dipole.

Some people prefer a more steered surround of monopoles, some people prefer the more all out reflective/refractive openess of dipoles.

I like them both, but agree they are pretty different, both great with their own positive attributes and no real negatives.

Dipoles help alot when all your seating is not close to the sweet spot where you calibrate from.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks