Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Center rear surround speaker

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Kurt_I

Kurt_I

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted April 11 2005 - 07:34 AM

I'm planning my basement home theater right now. At the back wall, I intend to put a single center rear speaker for 6.1 surround. Is there any concensus on what speaker type is best - i.e. dipole or direct radiating? Does it depend on what I have for side surrounds? Currently I have direct side surrounds but I'm planning to go for dipoles. If direct is recommended, should I match the front center speaker or is that overkill? Thanks.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   SteveLeach

SteveLeach

Stunt Coordinator

• 159 posts

Posted April 11 2005 - 10:09 AM

When you're talking about speakers, it gets subjective very quickly. What I think sounds "right" may sound like finger nails on a blackboard to you. It's not really an answer, but the only "right" answer is to experiment, and determine what sounds best to you.
Never give up! Never Surrender!
--Cmdr Taggart

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Mark McGill

Mark McGill

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted April 12 2005 - 06:11 AM

I hope that you are going to run an extra line for 7.1. It's a lot cheaper now than later. Also run a extra RG6 to the back somewhere for an extra sub sometime. Wire is cheap!!!

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted April 12 2005 - 07:39 AM

My opinion... with 6.1 my preference in the back centre is a direct radiating (monopole) speaker to "anchor" the rear soundstage. Actually, I would get all rear speakers the same or matching. Moved to speakers
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   John S

John S

Producer

• 5,460 posts

Posted April 12 2005 - 08:40 AM

I'm torn on this.... anchoring the rear soundstage is point for monopole. In the real world, while not as anchored, I have had some really neato results with dipole. Some people prefer a more steered surround of monopoles, some people prefer the more all out reflective/refractive openess of dipoles. I like them both, but agree they are pretty different, both great with their own positive attributes and no real negatives. Dipoles help alot when all your seating is not close to the sweet spot where you calibrate from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users