Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: Malevolence

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted April 10 2005 - 07:04 AM

Michael Osadciw

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator

Video Contributor

CANADA HiFi Magazine

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Bob clamer

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted April 10 2005 - 07:56 AM

Nice review Michael! Can't wait to see it. Posted Image Posted Image

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,525 posts

Posted April 10 2005 - 08:17 AM

I've seen some very positive articles about this one...I'm pushing it up in my NetFlix queue! And I COMPLETELY agree with your thoughts on humor in horror movies; besides killing the mood, too much of it just feels so forced!

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   JayF

JayF

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted April 13 2005 - 09:24 AM

Hey guys, don't get your hopes up too high. I too had read some positive things about this movie, so I went to it during a brief theatrical run here in Minneapolis. As much as I really wanted to like it, and I tried, it just fell flat. It's clearly inspired by Halloween and several others, but it felt too much like a cut and paste job of scene "x" from one movie and scene "y" from another. And the soundtrack, while meant to be omminous, brought a fair amount of laughter as it unfortunately played out like some bad parody on SNL or MadTV. I give credit to the director for wanting to "get back to the basics" of horror, so maybe his next one will be "it". Definitely rent before buying.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted April 13 2005 - 05:17 PM

Thank you Jay, for the second opinion. I really liked the movie (yes...music can be a tad cheesy at some moments...but it's easy to forget...listen to the music in The Evil Dead. Hardly Oscar winning!) Posted Image

Mike

Michael Osadciw

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator

Video Contributor

CANADA HiFi Magazine

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   ShanonS

ShanonS

Stunt Coordinator

• 242 posts

Posted May 06 2005 - 05:23 PM

My wife and I watched this one an hour or so ago. While I wouldn't quite rate it 4 stars, it did manage to keep us both on edge throughout the latter 3/4 of the movie. The editing job on this one leaves a lot to be desired. My wife pointed out several minor slips between camera angles. All in all a decent flick. I don't think I'd recommend it as a purchase, but worth a rental.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   T r o y

T r o y

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted May 07 2005 - 07:07 AM

Watched this one last night and wasn't totally blown away by it. It had it's moments, but after the film, I easily forgot it. There's nothing that really is original to it. Worth a rental , no purchase. Later, Troy
Outlaw 750 5 CH AMP
Yamaha DSP-A1
Sony BDP-S550
Monster Power
Mitsibishi HC-1500Klipsch KLF20Klipsch KLFC7Klipsch KSP-S6Velodyne F-1800XR

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DVD Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users