Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Polk XRT12 and My Microwave Oven

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   LewB

LewB

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted April 10 2005 - 01:15 AM

I've noticed something and am in search of knowledge.
I recently purchased the Polk XRT12 and love it ! The other day, I had it on and was nuking something in the oven. I realized that he signal on the XM was cutting in and out. The signal strength meter was bouncing from it's typical 3 bars down to 2, then 1. Once the microwave shut down, the XM returned to normal. The oven is a good 15 feet away from my radio/antenna. Do I have a 'leakage' problem with my mic (it's pretty old) ? Or is this one of those things ?

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner

Second Unit

• 339 posts

Posted April 10 2005 - 02:16 AM

If your microwave is leaking the least of your problems is the XM reception Posted Image. Of all the ways to test your microwave the cheapest is probably to just get a new one. Or maybe try your receiver next to another microwave and see if it acts the same.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Aaron Smithski

Aaron Smithski

Stunt Coordinator

• 114 posts

Posted April 10 2005 - 08:38 AM

Lew, I believe it's 'one of those things'. Posted Image

I have my Sirius set up with the Xact unit 4' feet away, and the antenna indoors at about 15' away from the microwave; I get the same interference as you. Our microwave is 3 years old. I have used it at another house and experienced the same interruption when the microwave is turned on.

Hopefully the microwaves interrupting the Sirius signal are not also baking my brain... Posted Image