Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Craig, Ed...try this recording!!!...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   frank manrique

frank manrique

Supporting Actor

• 798 posts

Posted April 08 2005 - 05:20 PM

I just got through listening to Chuck Mangione's "Live At The Hollywood Bowl" recording of such electrifying, stupendous, thrilling 1978 live concert of his Quartet accompanied by the LA Philarmonic Orchestra. Wow...what an event!

Even on this CD can that incredibly exciting night be aurally sampled to a great degree, so if you like jazz and Mangione's music in particular (I do! Posted Image ) this recording is a must (available at Amazon.com).

My only complaints with this recording mix first have to do with the rather abrupts fade outs after each musical piece, something that tends to sap the "live concert" atmosphere off its original super-exciting luster...which is something that can be aurally sampled by simply listening to the last three or four songs...while the other complaint being where the recording label decided to place the concert's intermission (second song on the second CD even though there was enough space to keep it on the first CD!).
Oh, well...still is one heck of a recording...being well worth belonging in music lovers collection bins...

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Edward J M

Edward J M

• 2,031 posts

Posted April 08 2005 - 11:12 PM

Frank: I have had the distinct pleasure of not only seeing Chuck Mangione live several times, but also meeting him personally and obtaining his autograph on a dinner napkin while dining at Proietti's restaurant. Great recommendation, and I shall try to find the same at the local archives. Regards, Ed
Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Relations

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Craig Chase

Craig Chase

• 1,485 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted April 08 2005 - 11:21 PM

Frank ... Thanks for the info, sounds like a winner ! Posted Image
<div class="post-sig post-sig-limit shazam usersig-click"><div class="reparse-sig-lineheight"><span>Craig Chase</span></div></div>

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,727 posts

Posted April 09 2005 - 04:08 AM

Guys, I saw no references in post #1 as to how this recording best demonstrates the prowess of certain speakers, woofers, subwoofers, crossover frequencies, etc., etc. It's just about the record. Hence, the thread now is located in the Music area.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   frank manrique

frank manrique

Supporting Actor

• 798 posts

Posted April 09 2005 - 01:22 PM

Oops! :b Jack, I meant to say that this recording excel in the bass department (among many other things)...as Meeks is one hell of a great bassist. The reproduced sound of his bass rifts off this recording is something to aurally behold in terms of clarity and power...even if bass lines from his electric bass guitar doesn't hit the bottom end (i.e, 10 Hz, etc.) of the infrasonic spectrum. Anyway...mea culpa!... -THTS "...hi, my name is Frank

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   steve nn

steve nn

• 2,420 posts

Posted April 09 2005 - 02:06 PM

That was close Frank! Fast thinking on your part and if I ever need a lawyer> your the manPosted Image

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   ChrisBee

Stunt Coordinator

• 195 posts

Posted April 09 2005 - 07:21 PM

Isn't it awful when a poster starts talking about software on the speakers forum? Posted Image

It means he's forgotten his system and is just enjoying the music. :b

We can't have any of that Frank! Posted Image

Tut, tut! If everybody behaved like you nobody would buy ever buy any more kit! Posted Image

On second thoughts though, if everybody behaved like you, the manufacturers wouldn't be able to keep up with demand! Posted Image

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   FeisalK

• 1,245 posts

Posted April 10 2005 - 02:35 PM

p.s. happy birthday frank. I don't normally look at the birthday announcements, but for some reason it caught my eye today.
DVD-A registry for hirez/surround audio
Bluray, DVD-Audio, DAD/HDAD, DualDisc, MVI

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   frank manrique

frank manrique

Supporting Actor

• 798 posts

Posted April 10 2005 - 09:42 PM

Thanks for remembering my Birthday, which is today, the 11th... Posted Image

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

(phew! Managed to finish the post without forgetting anything......yippee! Posted Image )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users