What's new

Thin Man Collection Finally (1 Viewer)

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator
According to Variety August 2, The collection includes two documentaries. But What I am exited about it includes an episode from the TV series. I had hoped they were going to do something like this when it was announced they would release Courtship of Eddie's Father and Please Don't Eat The Daises but it did not happen. Maybe if there is a re- release of Father of the Bride set with both features they can include some of that show's episodes. Also hoping for Logan's Run episodes on the coming SE.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
The day after my birthday. :) I didn't even know there was a TV show. Does anyone know what the docs are. There's a pretty good TCM doc on Myrna Loy hosted by Kathleen Turner I believe.

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Here's the press release:

Nick and Nora are coming back to celebrate the 100th birthday of Myrna Loy: Warner Home Video will release "The Complete Thin Man Collection" on Aug. 2.

Seven-disc set will include a special bonus disc featuring two documentaries profiling Nick and Nora Charles (William Powell and Loy), the debonair detective team of the 1930s and 1940s screwball romantic comedies.

Also included among the bonus features will be the pilot for the 1957 "Thin Man" TV series starring Peter Lawford and Phyllis Kirk, as well as film shorts, radio dramas and vintage cartoons.

Collection will mark the DVD debut of the five films in the series that followed the Oscar-nominated 1934 original: "After the Thin Man," "Another Thin Man," "Shadow of the Thin Man," "The Thin Man Goes Home" and "Song of the Thin Man."

"The Thin Man," adapted from Dashiell Hammett's 1934 detective novel of the same name, was first released on DVD in 2002.

KamyarB

Agent
Excellent news! I have been waiting for this set for a while. William Powell is great in this series.

Thanks for the news!

K

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
So, is this worth a blind buy? I've never seen a Thin Man movie, but I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Looks like Warners is getting more of my money!

FrankXS

Second Unit
Great news about The Thin Man Box complete collection. Since this is to honor Myrna Loy's 100th birthday,it's too bad that some of her other great titles from the 30's can't come along with the Thin Man. Hopefully most of her great MGM movies will come out in other sets devoted to Clark Gable/Spencer Tracy etc. A non-Thin Man Powell/Loy set would also be wonderful.
Keep them coming WARNER, as long as they don't break my bank account.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

wooohooo!!!

let's get a listing of those specific shorts posted!

:D

(not that this wouldnt have been an immediate purchase otherwise)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Hmmm... I bought the original Thin Man DVD.

The first movie is great, but I haven't seen any of the sequels. How do they stand up to the original? Are they better if you're a fan of the first?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

As in most series of films, the subsequent sequels get weaker as they grow in numbers. The second and third films are strong. The fourth and fifth are average while the last one is mediocre, but with its moments.

Crawdaddy

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks to all who posted details of this release.

I would have been happy with just the movies themselves, but all the bonus features sound outstanding.

As for the merits of the movies themselves, in my opinion the first 5 are top notch. Actually, the 5th movie ("Thin Man Goes Home") is one of my favorites of the entire series because of the great supporting cast. The 6th movie is not up to the par of the other 5, but it is still worth watching.

Thank you Warners!

Steve

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I have a similar if slightly different take. I think the first is the best, the first five are all great, and the last one is not good enough to warrant a second viewing. I also feel that the 5th one is very top notch.

I'd actually rate these: 1, 5, 2, 3, 4,................................................ ....6

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
If you truly love them you can look past flaws in the later ones, the stars make up for it but they are all classics in my book. Aren't the books out of print? I hope they put out a special collection of those as well.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The Thin Man novel is certainly available. And that is the only Thin Man book Hammett wrote, although he did write the screenplay for the 2nd and 3rd films as well.

Charles H

Screenwriter
AFTER THE THIN MAN is outstanding and it has a terrific denouement--which means more now than when it was originally released. I am partial to THE THIN MAN GOES HOME (with a script by Robert Riskin). The juxtaposition of Nick and Nora's "sophistication" with a trip to Nick's hometown is quite funny.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory

OK, I've never seen it in stores and I thought a long time ago I saw other books in the series but I guess these could have been written by someone else or maybe I am getting Looney Tunes mixed up with real life again.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i was surprised how much i enjoyed the last movie ("Song of...") especially after having avoided it for so long because i figured that the stars were so over the hill it would have been painful to watch.
uh uh.
the leads were still charming, Keenen Wynn is always fun to see (and so young here), and the swing/jazz music was great to hear to.

i used to really enjoy Thin Man Goes Home for the bucolic, small town atmosphere, and the presence of a lovely young Gloria DeHaven, but the last time i saw it i was struck by how forced most of the comedy felt.
still like the mystery aspect of this one though.

but like others have said, none of the films are stinkers, and they are all at least entertaining due to the unique chemistry of the leads.
and the series has continuity which is always fun to see.

Randi

Stunt Coordinator
I am so excited I screamed when I read the news. I am pre-ordering this as soon as possible. I love these movies especially 1 & 2.

Miss Randi

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
BrettB wrote --Hey, same for me.

Guess I'll sell the current DVD of The Thin Man in the snapper and get the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks