Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is my hard drives damaged enough?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 Michael Ballack

Michael Ballack

Second Unit

• 349 posts

Posted April 07 2005 - 09:37 AM

Hey everyone, I need your advice. It was time to get rid of my older computers and I wanted to make sure no one would get my info on the hard drive. I've heard one of the best ways is to take a hammer to a hard drive and bash the shit out of it. So I did just that. The following is a photo of what's left of it. I'm not a professional photographer, but I hope you experts can tell me if I did a good enough job to not have to worry about anyone getting anything off of it. Thank you.

Posted Image
Michael's DVD's

#2 of 9 Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted April 07 2005 - 10:01 AM

Quote:
I'm not a professional photographer
and hopefully not a professional computer technician either! Posted Image

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#3 of 9 Mary M S

Mary M S

Screenwriter

• 1,546 posts

Posted April 07 2005 - 10:32 AM

At the moment, I would like to apply the same treatment to my case/power supply/CPU/Mobo/router etc.

Next time, can I help?

needing to vent my computer related frustrations somewhere. That looks like FUN! Posted Image
You've been dreaming. Dreaming of Sea Captain who haunted this house.

#4 of 9 Michael Ballack

Michael Ballack

Second Unit

• 349 posts

Posted April 07 2005 - 10:38 AM

Quote:
needing to vent my computer related frustrations somewhere. That looks like FUN!

It was fun. I got a lot of anger out of me just bashing the hell out of it. Great stress reliever. I felt like Christopher and Tony B in the episode on the Sopronos when they were bashing skulls with sledge hammers. Posted Image
Michael's DVD's

#5 of 9 David_Moechnig

David_Moechnig

Stunt Coordinator

• 122 posts

Posted April 07 2005 - 10:43 AM

I shot one with 00 buck shot from a 12 gauge shtgun once. Only I did it for fun, not to keep people from reading old data.

#6 of 9 Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,130 posts

Posted April 08 2005 - 03:00 AM

It certainly looks like you had a good time!

Next time, if you aren't in quite the same mood, I suggest you perform a DoD 7 pass wipe and then for good measure drill a couple of holes through the platters. Even if you like the hammer approach I would do the wipe first.

#7 of 9 Michael Ballack

Michael Ballack

Second Unit

• 349 posts

Posted April 08 2005 - 10:02 PM

Thanks Al. One of the hard drives I couldn't even get the computer it was on to boot all the way without freezing up, and the other I did use some software to wipe. I wish I was more of a handy man, but I don't really have a drill to put holes through them. I think I did a pretty good job damaging them, although I'm sure some expert out there could probablly some how recover something. I just did a good enough job that I feel someone would have to be truly an expert and desperate to get what's left of it.
Michael's DVD's

#8 of 9 John Watson

John Watson

Screenwriter

• 1,937 posts

Posted April 08 2005 - 10:17 PM

Next step is an acid bath.

Then proceed to burning them, in an actual fire.Posted Image

#9 of 9 Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter

Second Unit

• 262 posts

Posted April 09 2005 - 12:15 AM

Quote:
Then proceed to burning them, in an actual fire

I've seen that on TechTV before they got killed by G4. I believe they used thermite powder. It was pretty cool watching it burn at 900+ degrees. I doubt anyone can recover data from a drive that was partially melted.
Mike Potter

Last 3 films watched
Natural Born Killers (DVD)
Duece Bigalow 2 (theater)Forrest Gump (1080I)

Forum Nav Content I Follow