Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Is my hard drives damaged enough?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Michael Ballack

Michael Ballack

Second Unit

• 349 posts

Posted April 07 2005 - 09:37 AM

Hey everyone, I need your advice. It was time to get rid of my older computers and I wanted to make sure no one would get my info on the hard drive. I've heard one of the best ways is to take a hammer to a hard drive and bash the shit out of it. So I did just that. The following is a photo of what's left of it. I'm not a professional photographer, but I hope you experts can tell me if I did a good enough job to not have to worry about anyone getting anything off of it. Thank you.

Posted Image
Michael's DVD's

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

• 3,597 posts

Posted April 07 2005 - 10:01 AM

and hopefully not a professional computer technician either! Posted Image

And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Mary M S

Mary M S

• 1,546 posts

Posted April 07 2005 - 10:32 AM

At the moment, I would like to apply the same treatment to my case/power supply/CPU/Mobo/router etc.

Next time, can I help?

needing to vent my computer related frustrations somewhere. That looks like FUN! Posted Image
You've been dreaming. Dreaming of Sea Captain who haunted this house.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Michael Ballack

Michael Ballack

Second Unit

• 349 posts

Posted April 07 2005 - 10:38 AM

It was fun. I got a lot of anger out of me just bashing the hell out of it. Great stress reliever. I felt like Christopher and Tony B in the episode on the Sopronos when they were bashing skulls with sledge hammers. Posted Image
Michael's DVD's

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   David_Moechnig

Stunt Coordinator

• 122 posts

Posted April 07 2005 - 10:43 AM

I shot one with 00 buck shot from a 12 gauge shtgun once. Only I did it for fun, not to keep people from reading old data.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

• 2,409 posts

Posted April 08 2005 - 03:00 AM

It certainly looks like you had a good time! Next time, if you aren't in quite the same mood, I suggest you perform a DoD 7 pass wipe and then for good measure drill a couple of holes through the platters. Even if you like the hammer approach I would do the wipe first.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Michael Ballack

Michael Ballack

Second Unit

• 349 posts

Posted April 08 2005 - 10:02 PM

Thanks Al. One of the hard drives I couldn't even get the computer it was on to boot all the way without freezing up, and the other I did use some software to wipe. I wish I was more of a handy man, but I don't really have a drill to put holes through them. I think I did a pretty good job damaging them, although I'm sure some expert out there could probablly some how recover something. I just did a good enough job that I feel someone would have to be truly an expert and desperate to get what's left of it.
Michael's DVD's

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   John Watson

John Watson

• 1,937 posts

Posted April 08 2005 - 10:17 PM

Next step is an acid bath.

Then proceed to burning them, in an actual fire.Posted Image

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Mike_J_Potter

Second Unit

• 262 posts

Posted April 09 2005 - 12:15 AM

I've seen that on TechTV before they got killed by G4. I believe they used thermite powder. It was pretty cool watching it burn at 900+ degrees. I doubt anyone can recover data from a drive that was partially melted.
Mike Potter

Last 3 films watched
Natural Born Killers (DVD)
Duece Bigalow 2 (theater)Forrest Gump (1080I)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users