What's new

"Fury" to be released on DVD (1 Viewer)

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Don't know if anyone will be interested (except me) but four episodes of the TV series "Fury" will be released on Alpha Video on April 26. The information came from the "collectables" website (since I cannot post the URL you can do a search for it. Hint: also type in "oldies"). I submitted this info here before to the authorities but was told that because Alpha is known for its not-so-good video it would probably be of little interest to anyone. Thought I would post it anyway. To me, any release of a show I like is better than none at all.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I'll be grabbing a copy of this. I haven't seen an episode of "Fury" since the mid-70s, when I was a kid, and I don't really remember too much about it. Sure, Alpha and the other p.d. outfits can vary wildly in quality, and I've gotten miffed at below-par prints and transfers more than once. Maybe 3 out of 4 times, though, the prints are serviceable enough. If you like old shows, they seem to be the only option. Just this week I've been viewing Alpha's two volumes of "Gang Busters, which have been pretty nifty.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I'd love this show on a S1 release. You're not the only one out here that liked this show :) I'd forgotton about this one over the years.
"They just don't make 'em like they used to"

S

silverking

Bob Hug said:
Just resurrecting this thread as I came across a two-DVD set of "Fury" offered by a very small boutique company called Total Content. It looks like the four episodes on the Alpha disc are repeated in this collection.
Total Content | Videos
This looks to be a fairly tough find, even on online sites, but Amazon does carry it.
Amazon.com: Fury 2 Pack (Vol. 1 & 2): Peter Graves,Bobby Diamond,n/a: Movies & TV
17 episodes have been released as a box set in Germany (Region 2). Contains both original English & dubbed German soundtrack.(Similiar to Bonanza releases). Has different, shorter opening but the original opener is an extra.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
silverking said:
17 episodes have been released as a box set in Germany (Region 2). Contains both original English & dubbed German soundtrack.(Similiar to Bonanza releases). Has different, shorter opening but the original opener is an extra.
How is the quality?

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
Elena S said:
I submitted this info here before to the authorities but was told that because Alpha is known for its not-so-good video it would probably be of little interest to anyone.
ANYONE = people under 35.
I submitted to them last year a couple of times about the releases of Shirley Temple Storybook Theater and they've yet to post anything about it or even list it as a release. And that show is gorgeous quality, right off the NBC color 2-inch masters.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Hank Dearborn said:
ANYONE = people under 35.
I submitted to them last year a couple of times about the releases of Shirley Temple Storybook Theater and they've yet to post anything about it or even list it as a release. And that show is gorgeous quality, right off the NBC color 2-inch masters.
Yea, I've got a ton of Alpha dvds in my collection. Sure, they aren't all pristine quality, but they offer a bunch of vintage tv shows that will probably never see the light of day. I've got the Alpha "FURY" release plus a homemade set of FURY dvds that aren't anything to write home about, but they are fun to watch nevertheless.
Gary "just ordered another batch of newer Alpha titles from Oldies.com last week" O.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I'm assuming the negs for this show are owned by Granada via ITC correct?

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
Lord Dalek said:
I'm assuming the negs for this show are owned by Granada via ITC correct?
That is correct. But while Granada has done an excellent job of putting out ITC product via Network, they have shown absolutely no interest in the shows that were done specifically for the American market. Things like The Gale Storm Show, Halls of Ivy, Fury, etc. have flown under their radar. But, yes, I'm sure they have the negs.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Gary OS said:
Yea, I've got a ton of Alpha dvds in my collection. Sure, they aren't all pristine quality, but they offer a bunch of vintage tv shows that will probably never see the light of day.
Gary "just ordered another batch of newer Alpha titles from Oldies.com last week" O.
A number of folks pooh-pooh Alpha (and similar companies specializing in public domain material) for their often less than stellar prints (a fair criticism). But, it has become clear to me that companies like Alpha are, in a very real sense, an important piece in the TV-on-DVD landscape, at least in terms of us seeing some of the older, often forgotten shows of early television broadcasting. I don't see any of the big studios (or even major independents) stepping up to the plate to release shows like "Terry and the Pirates," "Ramar of the Jungle," or a great, great show that I "discovered" through the Alpha releases -- "Dateline Europe" a/k/a "Foreign Intrigue." IMHO, the PD companies, while they have their limitations, also have their place.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
I agree, Bob. Alpha has been a Godsend for those of us who are looking for the older, harder-to-find shows. I don't need to see my shows in HD. They weren't broadcast that way, so why should pristine quality matter to me?

On a side note, "Fury" is especially meaningful for me, because I know Roger Mobley's (Packy) sister personally. We used to go to church together and would socialize regularly. Kinda fun, since she used to be in a band that once appeared on the original Mickey Mouse show.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I only found out about this earlier tonight when browsing the BBFC website's section for recently added listings for film and TV DVDs. A new listing had been added for a title called Fury, which has Peter Graves as one of the stars in it. It had "Sound and Media" as the distributor, and they release titles for Network DVD (who released Whiplash, also starring Peter Graves). I checked on their website and they have a "Complete First Series" Region 2 DVD coming out on Monday 19th April, 2010. On the page for the DVD release it contains 30 classic early episodes, including the pilot. The URL link to the Network DVD page is below:

Fury: Complete Series 1 - Network DVD listing page

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
This was an existing thread which was started before the thread you have posted a link to, and is solely about Fury.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Not really worth arguing about. The original thread was for a crappy P.D. release on Alpha 5 years ago as opposed to the new release which will look much, much better. Regardless, its nice to see that Network is finally branching out into shows that ITC produced specifically for the American TV market. Here's hoping that The Gale Storm Show could be next.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I would have thought it would be better to have all posts about all DVD releases for a show in the same thread, and it saves starting new threads.

Network DVD are one of the best UK labels in my opinion.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I have a great many of their releases and I've been quite happy with all of them. Currently I'm watching Espionage, which is a great show which appeared on NBC during the 1963 season and probably hasn't been seen in this country since. Produced by Herbert Brodkin so you know its going to be of the highest quality.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I've been thinking about getting that complete Fury series set at Amazon Germany (English language option is available on that set).

I've also enjoyed "Network" sets. That "Saint" complete B/W set has awesome transfer Q.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Didn't even know that Fury had been released over there. I knew about Bionic Woman, Six Million Dollar Man, Mr. Terrific and Bonanza. Anything else come out in Germany that isn't available elsewhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks