-

Photo

Full Monty / Spaceballs framing question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,177 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 03:11 PM

I just watched these two movies in sequence and both of them were "centered" on a wide screen TV (bars on all 4 sides). I never notice this happen before, so it's strange that I was hit twice in succession. Does anyone know if these releases are really framed strangely; or did someone in my house hit a wrong button?

(I did try other films and they seemed to play as I expected ... it just seems strange enough that I have to ask.)

P.S. I truly hate Spaceballs, but I owed my son one!

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,195 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 06 2005 - 05:03 PM

That's what happens when a DVD is not anamorphically enhanced for 16:9 TVs.

For a more detailed breakdown of the process, you can visit this great guide by thedigitalbits.com.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   GerardoHP

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor

• 696 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted April 06 2005 - 05:08 PM

That's what happens when a DVD is not anamorphically enhanced for 16:9 TVs.
Well, not exactly. Only if your TV is set to show bars on the side AND the DVD is non-anamorphic widescreen.
Gerardo

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,177 posts

Posted April 07 2005 - 06:07 AM

Thanks guys. And the link was interesting. I now understand that these two DVDs are just non-animorphic widescreen, and it was simply coincidence that I watched them back-to-back.

But I still have a question. Before reading the Digitalbits paper, I thought that non-animorphic encoding would have just used a portion of the horizontal lines for the non-film data (the black bars); thereby throwing away resolution. The paper confirmed that I'll also see vertical bars - but why? I don't see the reason for this data to be encoded in the picture.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,195 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 07 2005 - 09:31 AM

The vertical bars are not encoded in the picture. They're generated by your television.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted April 07 2005 - 09:40 AM

Quote:
The paper confirmed that I'll also see vertical bars - but why? I don't see the reason for this data to be encoded in the picture.

To put what Brandon says above into context, since the transfers are non-anamorphic, your display thinks it is showing you a 4x3 image, thereby necessitating the bars on either side. To overcome this, you would have to zoom the image to fill the screen and crop out the appropriate parts of the black bars on the top and bottom.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Rolando

Rolando

Screenwriter

• 1,318 posts

Posted April 07 2005 - 11:49 AM

Don't forget depending on the player it's possible that the DVD player is generating the bars. My Malata 996 does this.

If it's your TV is set to "auto" when it comes to "pic size" then it would go from FULL to STANDARD or NORMAL and generate grey bars on the side. in which case you can go to some THEATRE WIDE size that will fame it correctly (eliminate side bars).

However if it is the player generating this you will either need to use player zoom (as I do) or go into the player setting, set it to output for 4:3 TV and then follow the previous instructions.

If you player is generating a 16:9 pic by adding the black bars then changing the "pic size" will give you a distorted image with tall skinny people.

Hope that helps.
Rolando Avendano

My Collection

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,143 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted April 07 2005 - 02:27 PM

should have waited alittle longer for the special edition of spaceballs coing soon.
facebook.com/whotony

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,177 posts

Posted April 07 2005 - 10:36 PM

It just clicked. Thanks for the explanations.

Quote:
should have waited a little longer for the special edition of spaceballs coing soon.

Yeah, I saw the SE announced 2 days after I bought it; but it was a time-dependant gift so I was stuck anyway. As consolation, it was only $7.00 at Walmart.

Forum Nav Content I Follow