What's new

Panasonic: Not Releasing DVD Gamecube in US. (1 Viewer)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Not surprising considering the design of the unit. That look just wouldn't fly in the US.
I'd sure like to know if Panasonic's deal with Nintendo prevents them from releasing a DVD player with GCN compatibility outside of Japan.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
You know I think that is a bunch of BS. Why do we Americans get screwed? I guarantee it would sell a hell of a lot better here in America!! Bah-hum-bug!!
------------------
God bless!
jeffrey noel
My DVD Collection

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Simple
GameCube sells like crap in Japan, will probably do better in the US. Nintendo doesn't want anything taking away from their US sales
Jeff Kleist

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
If they sold it for $325 here they would look silly from a hardware value standpoint.
The same price as an XBox with a DVD remote, but no hard drive, and no ethernet?
Yes, ultimately it comes down to game libraries and gameplay, but they are better off selling the regular cube for $200 with no DVD ability. It reduces hardware comparisons between the two consoles.

Joe Rigali

Agent
Plus it would confuse alot of the parents out there. I still remember the crap my parents went through with the Goldstar 3DO because some idiot at Babbages told them it would only play half the games that the panasonic one did.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
C'mon...now I want a GC,just a badly as a lot of you.
But would you really want that big thing to show off as your DVD player???
I think not...
Then again,if it had DTS,progressive scan,etc. well... :)
Calvin
------------------
"Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
To tell the truth, they had no reason to sell it in America. The Japanese will buy anything with the right label on it, which is why they got the Metal Gear Solid 2 DVD and we didn't. Not everyone in America is into videogames, but a larger percent of people in Japan are. That's why there is a law regulating launch dates for Dragon Warrior games in Japan and there are attempted laws regulating game content in America. When gaming becomes bigger and almost everyone is into them, maybe we'll get the cool stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread