Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Human Finger found in Wendy's Chili

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
141 replies to this topic

#1 of 142 OFFLINE   John Gates

John Gates

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 05:15 AM

Can you imagine?

Ick!

A woman apparently found a human finger cooked into her fast-food chili. Link here:

http://www.sfgate.co....3/finger23.TMP

Nasty.... I wonder if the medical examiner will get a fingerprint and be able to identify the "owner"?

John
http://www.free-resume-help.com
Free resume help, interview tips, and negotiating advice from corporate recruiting insiders.

#2 of 142 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 05:27 AM

I would have to seriously question this. It sounds more like a money making scam. Similar occurences happen nearly every year, and most of them are proven false. If somebody were to lose a finger in a plant, the whole place would be shut down so fast it would make your head spin.

It's either that, or a bitter employee trying to see his company hurt financially.

Where the perpetrator got the finger is another issue entirely. I wonder if it had green nail polish on it?

#3 of 142 OFFLINE   Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

• 1,425 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 06:17 AM

"You want a toe? Hell, I can get you a toe. I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...with nail polish!"
Tim's Essential Music

Xbox Live gamertag: Stangboy124

#4 of 142 OFFLINE   Zen Butler

Zen Butler

Producer

• 5,332 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 06:33 AM

mmmmmmmmm Wendy's

bladerunner-thumb-510x227-39115_zpse210a

#5 of 142 OFFLINE   Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 06:33 AM

I believe the authorities have mentioned that no fingerprint record was found for the offending finger.
SACD not listed at sa-cd.net (updated 8/26/2009)

#6 of 142 OFFLINE   David McGough

David McGough

Second Unit

• 278 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 06:39 AM

I have a real money maker IDEAL if I had the means.
Ill tell you and you cut me.

Make about10,000 fake rubber thumbs and put them at convience stores for $3.00.. Everybody would buy one and have some fun.
Got to do it now while its hot.. The thumbs not the chili
Tennessee
>

#7 of 142 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 07:11 AM

"You want a toe? Hell, I can get you a toe. I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...with nail polish!"

I'm glad to see that someone got my Lebowski reference.Posted Image

#8 of 142 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 07:45 AM

Posted Image

--
H

#9 of 142 OFFLINE   Claude M

Claude M

Stunt Coordinator

• 240 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 09:03 AM

I love finger food.

#10 of 142 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,821 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted April 06 2005 - 09:10 AM

You think this is bad?

How about this case. Carjackers cut off the owner's finger so they could get around the fingerprint detecting antitheft system of the car:

http://news.bbc.co.u...fic/4396831.stm
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#11 of 142 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 09:21 AM

Quote:
If somebody were to lose a finger in a plant, the whole place would be shut down so fast it would make your head spin.
We were talking about this over Easter and my cousin made a good point:

No matter at what point this happened (i.e. at the plant or at the actual Wendy's) how would the finger go unnoticed?? How does someone hide the fact that they lost a finger and let it go through the chili making process? I mean, if something happened that made someone lose a finger, you would think that the facility would stop what they were doing and not go on like nothing has happened.

Quote:
It sounds more like a money making scam.
------
It's either that, or a bitter employee
I agree with either of the above.

#12 of 142 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,640 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 09:23 AM

Quote:
I would have to seriously question this. It sounds more like a money making scam. Similar occurences happen nearly every year, and most of them are proven false.

There were actual photos of the finger. Did the person affected make those up too?

Quote:
If somebody were to lose a finger in a plant, the whole place would be shut down so fast it would make your head spin.

Have you ever read the book Fast Food Nation? If not, you should read it. You may change your mind about whether a meat packing plant would be completely shut down because of an accident. Meat packers would regularly falsify accident records. Officials may have been unable to turn up an accident record, but that doesn't mean that an accident didn't occur.

Quote:
It's either that, or a bitter employee trying to see his company hurt financially.

Yup. It is just those dirty employees trying to get back at the boss. Corporations are such good citizens, they never do anything wrong.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#13 of 142 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 09:57 AM

Whoah Edwin! Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

There were actual photos of the finger. Did the person affected make those up too?

Nowhere in my statement am I saying that the finger doesn't exist (You might try reading my post.) I simply said that I don't think a finger could make it through that many levels of processing without being seen. This happens regularly, and more times than not it's a scam. Search through some archives and you find that to be so.

Have you ever read the book Fast Food Nation? If not, you should read it. You may change your mind about whether a meat packing plant would be completely shut down because of an accident. Meat packers would regularly falsify accident records. Officials may have been unable to turn up an accident record, but that doesn't mean that an accident didn't occur.

No I haven't, but it's been on my list to read for a long time. No matter how bad the system is, I still find it pretty hard to believe that a finger could be severed into the product and nobody does anything about it. Sure there are accidents that involve contamination, but whole body parts???

Yup. It is just those dirty employees trying to get back at the boss. Corporations are such good citizens, they never do anything wrong.

What exactly is wrong with my statement? Do you think employees don't do such things? If so, you are sorely mistaken, and nowhere in my statement did I give any corporation a pass. If you knew me at all, you wouldn't have even thought of saying that. I'm Mr. Anti-Corporation to the bone.

Get some more sleep!

#14 of 142 OFFLINE   DustinLC

DustinLC

Supporting Actor

• 543 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 11:30 AM

All I can say is Fast Food Nation is an eye opener. I'm not finished yet but I'm sure it helped some people with their weight problem Posted Image.

#15 of 142 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 11:35 AM

All I can say is Fast Food Nation is an eye opener. I'm not finished yet but I'm sure it helped some people with their weight problem .

Yeah, that's one of the reasons that I've been putting it off. I'm not exactly a fast food junkie, but I eat far more processed food than I should. I'm worried that if I read it, I'd end up starving to death.Posted Image

#16 of 142 OFFLINE   DustinLC

DustinLC

Supporting Actor

• 543 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 11:42 AM

I would say it only affects those who are casual eater. If it's your life, you'll think twice and eat it anyway Posted Image.

#17 of 142 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 11:49 AM

Why does everyone refer to "Fast Food Nation" like it's the Holy Bible??? Posted Image

#18 of 142 OFFLINE   DustinLC

DustinLC

Supporting Actor

• 543 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 12:07 PM

Quote:
Why does everyone refer to "Fast Food Nation" like it's the Holy Bible???

I am not sure people are. I'm not. It's an informative piece of writing. Don't see how it could be compared to the Bible in any shape or form.

If you or anyone would like to come forward and dispute some of the claims/informations, it would make an interesting discussion.

#19 of 142 OFFLINE   Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton

Screenwriter

• 1,453 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 01:53 PM

Quote:
No matter how bad the system is, I still find it pretty hard to believe that a finger could be severed into the product and nobody does anything about it.

Ever read the description of how sausage used to be made, in Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle"? Read that passage, and it's not likely you'll ever forget it completely. The worst part is, when public outcry forced authorities to investigate, they found that Sinclair was, if anything, understating the problem!

In more recent years, there was a fire in a chicken plant that caused many workers to die, because the miserable excuses for human beings who ran the factory had locked shut the fire doors! They were more concerned with the chance that a worker might run out the fire door with a chicken leg than with their workers' lives.

Or how about the nightclub fire down in Rhode Island (I think the place was called "The Station"). Cheap do-it-yourself flammable insulation + indoor pyrotechnics + no sprinklers == a huge death toll. People jammed the door trying to get out; computer simulations later indicated that the temperature inside would have gotten up to 1800 degrees within about 90 seconds. Yet some of the clubs still do not want to install sprinklers!

#20 of 142 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted April 07 2005 - 12:04 AM

Ever read the description of how sausage used to be made, in Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle"? Read that passage, and it's not likely you'll ever forget it completely. The worst part is, when public outcry forced authorities to investigate, they found that Sinclair was, if anything, understating the problem!

I know about Sinclair's book and how it refined the meat packing industry, but that was 100 years ago, and don't see how that impacts this particular story.

As to your other two points, I don't see what either have to do with a finger being found in someone's chilli. Both are horrible disasters caused either by callous corporations or cheap-skate business owners, but neither have any connection to this story.

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow