Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

I think I've been hit by a surge

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Chazz_S

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor

• 501 posts

Posted April 05 2005 - 04:28 PM

All of the surge protectors have the "surge" light on, after the power went out and on again. How do I reset it, or am I supposed to even worry about it! I've tried unplugging it and plugging it back in but the light is still on. I'd look in the manual- but who honestly keeps the manuals to surge protectors!?

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   DanHal

DanHal

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted April 05 2005 - 06:29 PM

Perhaps see if a fuse is blown, or tripped. It should be somewhere on the side of the bar usually. Dan

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 04:25 AM

Some have a reset button but judging from what you're saying, this one doesn't. The light can come on for a variety of reasons. The unit no longer sees a ground. Get a $4 circuit tester over at Home Depot and check for proper wiring. It died for whatever reason. Buy a new one. What were you using?

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 04:56 AM

Don't hold me to this, but the "cheap" surge protectors are said to only protect you once. After they take the first surge, a part inside burns out. I guess that is when the red light comes on. The 2nd surge will zip right to your equipment. Glenn

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit

• 483 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 04:58 AM

Even Monster's expensive surge protectors die after talking a hit, may be your problem.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Chazz_S

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor

• 501 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 05:48 AM

WOW, ok I see what you guys are saying now. It wasn't just one, multiple protectors are all 'lit' One is a monster(kind of a lower end model) and another is a Cyber power. Dammit- I have to replace them all?!

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 05:56 AM

If you own your own house, look into a whole house device. Your utility company may even install it for a nominal charge per month. The longevity of a surge protector is related to its joules rating assuming your getting MOV based devices. For a fairly inexpensive one, consider a Stratitec available at Sam's Club or at directron.com. Somewhere around $20.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter

• 1,210 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 06:04 AM

Looks like they did their jobs. Be glad that you're not replacing all of your equipment!
"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." Muhammed Ali, (Cassius Clay)

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 10:46 AM

You are correct... mostly: It would be more accurate to say that inexpensive surge protectors (typically build with varistors) have a finite life which depends on the intensity and frequency of the voltage spikes. -- H

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users