What's new

NASA DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Kain_C

Screenwriter
I just watched From the Earth to the Moon and I was wondering if there is a NASA-related DVD that contains all of the following:

-Footage of test rockets, launches, unmanned lauches, etc.
-Footage of all of the launches, from the Mercury missions to the last shuttle launch (which was, I believe, the ill-fated Columbia mission).
-Footage from re-entry of all space crafts.
-Footage of spaceflight disasters.
-Many hours of footage from the astronauts themselves taken in "space" or whatnot.
-Many hours of audio from the communication between Houston and the crew of the spaceflight.
-Many HQ pictures relating to the space program, including pictures taken of everything from press events to actual exposures taken in "space".
-Documentaries on every single spaceflight and every single member of the astronaut corp.
-Documentaries about the whole space program, including it's history.
-Documentaries on the equipment of the space program, including everything from the uniform and equipment of the astronaut to the actual vehicles and structures (launchpad, etc.) used in the space program.
-Documentaries on astronaut training, selection, preparedness, etc.
-Every (or as many as possible) available interview from people involved with the space program.
-News broadcasts relating to the space program (Kronkite broadcasts, etc.)
-Footage of press events relating to the space program.
-Footage of presidential speeches about the space program (the many Kennedy speeches, etc.)

I searched and didn't find anything, but this is probably just wishful thinking. But wouldn't it be great to have a huge 10 + DVD set with all of this great historic stuff?

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
We've already had released in the past DVD boxed sets devoted to the Gemini and numerous Apollo missions that contain all of the film shot in space and live TV transmissions. I have the one for Apollo 11 and it's an impressive assembly of documentary materials.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Can you provide specifics, i.e. titles and where you got them?

Thanks.

DaveRU

Stunt Coordinator
You want to look at the Spacecraft series distributed by Fox. They're available at Amazon.

I have the Apollo 11 - Men on the Moon set and it is superb :emoji_thumbsup:

It's a great chance to see history as it happens from ALL the raw footage (alternate angles), radio chatter etc.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Spacecraft Films makes the sets and the details are on their website.

http://www.spacecraftfilms.com

There isn't much space shuttle content yet. A mercury set is coming soon. Apollo is well-covered, with a couple exceptions to be released soon.

Excellent sets, highly recommended.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I've got three of these, and they are excellent.
Most releases have a documentary included, but they are mostly raw footage.

The Apollo 11 set has an unedited lunar landing sequence with 5.1 audio, each channel is radio chatter from a different source. If I recall, it goes on for well over half an hour.

These don't satisfy all your wishes, but are quite comprehensive on what they do cover. I know there are sets available that cover the Saturn rockets, and some Gemini and Apollo missions.

I highly recommend Apollo 13: To the Edge and Back. It doesn't go beyond Apollo 13, but it is the best documentary on the subject that I've ever seen. I found it more engaging than the Ron Howard film.

-Scott

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
There's also an Apollo 1 set in the works. I think the new Liftoff set includes some spaceflight disaster stuff as well as tons of launches with audio commentaries, but I don't have it yet. The Saturn 1B includes all the Gemini launches plus Apollo 7 and Apollo-Soyuz. The Saturn V set contains all the rest of the Apollo launches, from multiple cameras (though they didn't yet implement the multiangle feature on these sets, it does show up on later ones, such as Apollo 7).

I got my Apollo 11 set signed by Buzz Aldrin last fall. :) A prized possession.

The most recent sets have been available only from select outlets, such as Spacecraft Films itself, or www.countdowncreations.com which has an email newsletter with regular 10% off coupon codes. Spacecraft's distribution deal with 20th Century Fox expired some time ago. These sets are tough to acquire (and pricey) but well worth it for the space fan.

DanHaya

Second Unit
I have a DVD that NASA put out a few years ago that is all about the Challenger accident. It has a bunch of launch footage, analysis and what not. You might be able to find it on eBay. I'll try and post the cover art later tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks