What's new

Can't buy me Love? (1 Viewer)

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Anybody heard of "Can't buy me Love" getting an anamorphic widescreen release? I'm about to get "Mischief" and "Book of Love" and I thought "Can't buy me Love" might be a good match with them. But if there's a anamorphic version coming anytime soon I'll wait longer on "Can't buy me Love".

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I bought it even though it's P and S. Wish they would rerelease this and Just one of the Guys in W.S.

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
I'm cynical enough to think we won't see this in widescreen until high-def discs get around to it. 2010 is my guess.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I don't think that Disney has any plans to rerelease CBML. They could have last year when that dreadful remake LOVE DON'T COST A THING was released, but they didn't.

Although with Dempsey going "from totally geek to totally chic" in GREY'S ANATOMY, and that starting to be a hit, who knows? Anyone else can't believe that character? All the doctors calling Ronald Miller the "dreamboat" of the hospital?

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
If they're owned by the same studio, I'd love to see a Dempsey box containing IN THE MOOD, CAN'T BUY ME LOVE, SOME GIRLS, LOVERBOY, and HAPPY TOGETHER. I've seen all of these except SOME GIRLS, which sounds excellent, and my fave of the ones I've seen is LOVERBOY, which I've yet to read a good review of, but I swear it's one of the best comedies of the '80s. The whole final act is absolutely uproarious; I laughed so hard I almost collapsed. No joke. Patrick Dempsey has a serious gift for romantic comedy; I think he's quite an underrated actor.

Matt Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
I would buy it. CBML is up there with 80s teen movie nostalgia.

As for LOVERBOY, I rented it the other week, It is on DVD and I plan on buying it, seems to be expensive everywhere though. Underated film in my book.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
HeHe that IS funny. But, after all he was a Loverboy. ;) (Pun intended) :)

I wasn't aware who owned the rights. Now that I know it's Disney I'm not suprised. I will not hide my opinion of Disney. Between Michael Eisners rule over Disney, there buying of Wing Chun and taking it OOP and their over priced releases I no likey Disney no mo.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I was flipping channels yesterday afternoon and found Can't Buy Me Love on A&E. They were showing it in a letterbox format on the standard definition channel and it looked pretty good. Does this mean that a newer high definition master might actually exist now?

I was looking at the DVD yesterday and I would have assumed it would be open matte but I think it must be some sort of pan & scan or at least zoomed in on the full negative somehow. Cropping the 4:3 aspect ratio to 16:9 with my TV's zoom modes made for a very cramped composition, oftentimes cutting things off that seemed somewhat important. I'd like to see a true anamorphic widescreen reissue of this movie on DVD.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
It was on A&E's HD Channel yesterday and looked great.

I guess you can say I'm sort of an expert on the film, and every time the film airs, I end up getting thousands of hits on my site. So, I can say that the film film still is VERY popular. I'd love to see a new release. Heck, I'll volunteer to do a commentary track for it.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I'll have to admit that I had never seen the movie before yesterday but now you can count me in as a fan too. I was a teenager back in the '80s and I've seen my fair share of movies from back then but I somehow missed this one.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
I thought it looked good on HDNet and A&EHD but the fleshtones were too pinkish/red compared to everthing else on my tv. Even compared to NCIS and my t has virtually no red push.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
CBML was on A&E today in widescreen so I did a comparison with the full frame DVD, syncing them up and comparing them.

It seems there was slightly more added to the left side of the screen, and just as much taken from the top and the bottom. At times, it seems the right side had more info on the full frame version. But in either case, there wasn't much of a difference.

However, I will say the transfer on the full frame DVD was much more natural. It seems everyone in the widescreen version had been given makeovers. In a few scenes on the full frame DVD, Amanda has sort of dirty blond hair, yet in the TV version she has overly blond hair. Not very natural. All the other girls, and Patrick's hair, is all overly red.

And once again to add to the popularity, this has aired on A&E both yesterday and today afternoon. Each time it airs, I get thousands of hits for my story on what happened to Amanda.

If that many people go online while the film is airing, just looking for info on the lead, I'm am sure there are countless more thousands watching. So, the film is still VERY popular and deserves a new DVD release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks