What's new

M. Nights next film "Lady in the Water' (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Not much is known at this point other then the story revolves around a building superintendent who finds a sea nymph in his apartment building's pool.

He's going after Bryce Dallas Howard for the sea nymph roll and Paul Giamatti as the super.

Being a fan of Nights films and if these two get the lead rolls this should make for a good film. Production is set to start in August with a 2006 release.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
That would definitely be a good pair of leads. I'm in too.

And if this turns out to be the first major Night film without any big plot twist, we all know how 99% of the reviews are going to start:

"I'm now going to reveal the big twist in Night's latest movie: there is no twist! Ha ha! See? No twist, and that's the twist! What a clever line that was!"

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that's true--the revelations at the end had that twist-sort-of-feel to them, but they didn't actually re-frame/explain anything that had come before. But you know that almost every reviewer out there is just itching to write that line about a Night movie that has a more straightforward narrative.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I wouldn't even go as far as to say The Village had a twist ending, a surprise ending (sort of) but not really a twist.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Not much is known at this point other then the story revolves around a building superintendent who finds a sea nymph in his apartment building's pool.

At the end of the film, the super finds out the nymph is really a man.

And I would say that Signs had a fairly big twist -- Gibson has lost his faith in God, and then in one instant, all the small coincidences and details suddenly add up (including the death of Gibson's wife) to prove irrefutably that God exists. Everything in the film that seemed like nothing more than a curious detail was revealed to be the hand of God.

AlexCremers

Second Unit
Twists are as old as storytelling itself. One of the best "twist" movies is Coppola's 'The Conversation'.

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator
I loved the last four M. Knight films! I'm looking forward to this one with great anticipation.

David

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Is this supposed to be like Splash? The premise sounds kinda comedic.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Might want to spoilerize your post, John Co. I've seen The Village, and I presume everyone else who's posted in this thread probably has as well, but some people might wander in here who haven't.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I entirely agree with Ernest on this one. The twist is signs is pretty big and actually redefines the theme of teh film to something else together. The A plot because a simple accessory to the much bigger theme.

Yes, some disagree (Zen, stay away), do we want to go down that road again? :)

--
H

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'd just be happy if Shyamalan made a *good* film next time out. Both Signs and The Village were big letdowns for me, particuarly the latter. Here's to hoping that he gets over himself and locates some fire in his belly on this one.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
?

I've enjoyed all of Manoj's movies so far (some more than others, obviously), and therefore look forward to this regardless. But with a cast including Howard and Giamatti, this should be good.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Each to his own. I thought SIGNS had some of the director's scariest moments and THE VILLAGE set up a rich enough atmosphere that the end could not negate it. I find UNBREAKABLE the weakest of his films because it simply required more of a leap of faith than I was willing to take. But I know it is the favorite of many Shyamalan fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks