Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

M. Nights next film "Lady in the Water'

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
266 replies to this topic

#1 of 267 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 03:48 AM

Not much is known at this point other then the story revolves around a building superintendent who finds a sea nymph in his apartment building's pool.

He's going after Bryce Dallas Howard for the sea nymph roll and Paul Giamatti as the super.

Being a fan of Nights films and if these two get the lead rolls this should make for a good film. Production is set to start in August with a 2006 release.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#2 of 267 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,737 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 04:12 AM

I'm in! Posted Image

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#3 of 267 OFFLINE   Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 04:18 AM

That would definitely be a good pair of leads. I'm in too.

And if this turns out to be the first major Night film without any big plot twist, we all know how 99% of the reviews are going to start:

"I'm now going to reveal the big twist in Night's latest movie: there is no twist! Ha ha! See? No twist, and that's the twist! What a clever line that was!"

#4 of 267 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 04 2005 - 04:55 AM

Technically, Signs had no twist.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#5 of 267 OFFLINE   Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 05:02 AM

Yeah, that's true--the revelations at the end had that twist-sort-of-feel to them, but they didn't actually re-frame/explain anything that had come before. But you know that almost every reviewer out there is just itching to write that line about a Night movie that has a more straightforward narrative.

#6 of 267 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 05:36 AM

I wouldn't even go as far as to say The Village had a twist ending, a surprise ending (sort of) but not really a twist.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#7 of 267 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 06:00 AM

I'll watch it.

#8 of 267 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 06:01 AM

Not much is known at this point other then the story revolves around a building superintendent who finds a sea nymph in his apartment building's pool.

At the end of the film, the super finds out the nymph is really a man.

And I would say that Signs had a fairly big twist -- Gibson has lost his faith in God, and then in one instant, all the small coincidences and details suddenly add up (including the death of Gibson's wife) to prove irrefutably that God exists. Everything in the film that seemed like nothing more than a curious detail was revealed to be the hand of God.

#9 of 267 OFFLINE   AlexCremers

AlexCremers

Second Unit

• 432 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 06:09 AM

Twists are as old as storytelling itself. One of the best "twist" movies is Coppola's 'The Conversation'.

#10 of 267 OFFLINE   DaveB

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator

• 194 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 06:57 AM

I loved the last four M. Knight films! I'm looking forward to this one with great anticipation.

David

#11 of 267 OFFLINE   Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 07:05 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't even go as far as to say The Village had a twist ending, a surprise ending (sort of) but not really a twist.

I agree. I think they gave too many clues during the movie that it was
modern days

#12 of 267 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted April 04 2005 - 07:11 AM

Is this supposed to be like Splash? The premise sounds kinda comedic.
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#13 of 267 OFFLINE   Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 07:15 AM

Might want to spoilerize your post, John Co. I've seen The Village, and I presume everyone else who's posted in this thread probably has as well, but some people might wander in here who haven't.

#14 of 267 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 08:44 AM

I entirely agree with Ernest on this one. The twist is signs is pretty big and actually redefines the theme of teh film to something else together. The A plot because a simple accessory to the much bigger theme.

Yes, some disagree (Zen, stay away), do we want to go down that road again? Posted Image

--
H

#15 of 267 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,251 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 09:48 AM

I'd just be happy if Shyamalan made a *good* film next time out. Both Signs and The Village were big letdowns for me, particuarly the latter. Here's to hoping that he gets over himself and locates some fire in his belly on this one.

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#16 of 267 OFFLINE   widescreenforever

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 01:32 PM

sounds good

#17 of 267 OFFLINE   Mohsen Sadeghi

Mohsen Sadeghi

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 02:46 PM

Ernest Rister:

Quote:

For God's sake man, stop watching Tranny Surprise moviesPosted Image

#18 of 267 OFFLINE   Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter

• 1,365 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 02:51 PM

WTF!?

Sounds wierd and interesting.

A hint of 'Big Fish'? Just that 'no big deal' wierdness.

#19 of 267 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,330 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 06:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
For God's sake man, stop watching Tranny Surprise movies

Shades of
The Crying Game
?

I've enjoyed all of Manoj's movies so far (some more than others, obviously), and therefore look forward to this regardless. But with a cast including Howard and Giamatti, this should be good.

#20 of 267 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,210 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 03:52 PM

Each to his own. I thought SIGNS had some of the director's scariest moments and THE VILLAGE set up a rich enough atmosphere that the end could not negate it. I find UNBREAKABLE the weakest of his films because it simply required more of a leap of faith than I was willing to take. But I know it is the favorite of many Shyamalan fans.

Forum Nav Content I Follow