-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is there anything I can do to play DVD-A (dd track) on my computer!?!?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 01:16 AM

I would love to be able to listen to a few of my DVD-As at work. They play on 'regualar' dvd players with DD tracks, and my computer has a dvd drive. However, when I put it in, it doesn't recognize it. What gives and what can I do?? Thanks in advance for any responses.

#2 of 6 Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted April 04 2005 - 06:17 AM

Hi you would need a DVD-A software player to play it at work or on any computer, but if you dont have a 5.1 speaker setup you wouldnt here all the sound?? do you have a 5.1 setup at work??

I bought a Audigy 2 which came with the Software DVD-A player. Posted Image

I read they play on some DVD players but NOT in full DVD-A Quality!! you would need a DVD-A player or a Universal player "Pioneer 578a" for example.

DD is that Dolby Digital??
"IF the Facts don't Fit the Theory Change the Facts"    Albert Einstein

#3 of 6 Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted April 05 2005 - 01:23 AM

DD is Dolby Digital. And I figure, that if I watch a DVD on my comp that is encoded in DD, and can put on headphones and here it, then I should be able to do this with DVD-A. I realize that I won't get full benifit from it, but I'm just at work and want to listen to the music, because for a while, I don't have time at home, where I do have a Pio 563a Universal hooked into a Denon 1604.

Interesting to hear that an audigy 2 comes with the software for DVD-A playback.

Does anyone know if there is any software out there for download? A search on download.com didn't come up with much.

#4 of 6 Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter

• 1,420 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 03:21 AM

Adam,
The creative audigy 2 DVD-A software will only work with a audigy 2 card. btw: I have a spare audigy 2 SB0240 card, pm if interested. These cards also come with 1394 firewire ports.

#5 of 6 Darryl

Darryl

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 04:42 AM

All I can say is that my computer plays the DVD-V (DD) portion of DVD-As with no special software and with no problems...just looks like a movie to my computer.

#6 of 6 Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter

• 1,420 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 06:25 AM

Darryl,
That is correct, that sound track is the mpeg compressed data track or pcm. The high res dvd-a track will need special software and hardware such as the audigy 2.