What's new

Nowhere Man coming to DVD (1 Viewer)

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I know this show has been discussed here on the Home Theater Forum in the past but I can't find any of the old message threads.

Anyway, it appears as though Nowhere Man is finally making its way to DVD by the end of the year. I'll definitely be picking this one up. I'll finally be able see the episodes that I missed when it ran on UPN nearly 10 yeras ago.

Nowhere Man - Early Rumors About Early UPN Show Coming to DVD

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
That's fantastic news if it pans out. I love this series - it was sort of an American 90's version of The Prisoner. :emoji_thumbsup:

But I still remember how VR5 (a contemporary of NM) got rumoured for release and then pulled, so I'll only start celebrating when the discs are in my hands!

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Great news. Hope it's true.

Nowhere Man was one of the most astonishingly brilliant shows, a regular dose of paranoia that equaled and even bettered The X-Files (and that was back when X-Files was at its best).

And then the cliffhanger - just when they seem to have revealed too much about the central mystery, they threw in a great cliffhanger that completely left you stunned and desperate to know what happened next.

There was talk about a couple of TV-movies to provide some kind of resolution, sadly that never happened.

I would definitely buy this one.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Nowhere Man was probably the best -- yet also lowest-rated series ever on UPN at a time when the broadcast network was new. Usually airing back to back with Star Trek: Voyager, it only lasted for 25 episodes during the entire 1995 to 96 season, and starred Bruce Greenwood as a man named Tom Veil, whose own identity is taken away from him. He is betrayed not only by the U.S. Government, his wife, boss, and everyone else who was paid off and / or threatened by whatever agency it was that did this to him.

A turning point in the series comes comes about halfway into the series when a stranger gives Veil a laptop computer with which he is sent clues to get to the bottom of the conspiracy!

The episode guest starring Dean Stockwell as another "Nowhere Man" who helped Tom was a memorable one. So was the story in which the guy was reunited with his scheming wife!!

I should point out that this series is really is NOT like The Prisoner except in one episode only in which Tom joins a small town community which is run by a mysterious unit of the military. His prisoner ID # just happens to be 6! :D

Nowhere Man's season-ending cliffhanger was an incredible one that I won't reveal here, and I'd hate to think they never filmed a conclusion to it since the show was cancelled.

Greenwood has had more luck as a character actor in feature films, most notably in Rules of Engagement as the crooked National Security Advisor.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
A nice extra would be for the creators to explain what would have been the resolution for the cliffhanger.

Also, if true. This hopefully bodes well for other UPN shows to come to dvd.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Joel Surnow and Robert Cochran did La Femme Nikita before 24, and that was also a well-done series.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Dave said:

Wasn't it Lawrence Herzog who was credited with creating the series, while Surnow served as producer? I believe both went on to write for 24.

This is fantastic news if it turns out to be true! This was easily one of my favorite TV shows of the 90s.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Yep, Herzog created and was Executive Producer of Nowhere Man and Surnow was a co-Executive Producer and a writer.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
An easy decision to buy this one.

Bruce Greenwood was great in Exotica and The Sweet Hereafter too.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

I was referring to the same vibe of paranoia present in both series. Of course the story formats are different. :)

Don Peskin

Stunt Coordinator
Loved this show too but don't know if i'd get the dvd set. I hate when a show is cancelled without tying up loose ends. It was frustrating when UPN cancelled the show, do I really want to relive that?

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Someone at the Nowhere Man site on tv tome. Thinks that the show was meant to end when it did. I never saw the show so I have no idea.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I started watching Nowhere Man regularly about halfway through the season. For some reason I never got around to watching the final episode even though I do still have it recorded on VHS tape from when it originally aired. Maybe I should wait for the DVD set to come out.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I remember watching Voyager every Monday night and seeing the promo for Nowhere Man. For some reason, the only image of the show that sticks in my head is a bunch of people being hung in a jungle.

Now, if this is coming out, why not bring out the wildly imaginative and fun Deadly Game with Christopher Lloyd or Legend with John de Lancie? I'd pass over Pig Sty and Platypus Man, for the record.

Michael_CPC

Agent

This is so crazy; I was in that episode as Stockwell's grandson, I barely remember it. It would be really cool to be able to watch the series now that I can understand it. Let's hope it comes out on DVD!

Jeff#

Screenwriter
All unsuccessful UPN series, and Deadly Game is the only one I never saw. Legend was a western that starred Richard Dean Anderson, during his low period between MacGyver and Stargate: SG-1.

GarySchrock

Second Unit
I loved this series, which is naturally why it was cancelled. Don't know if I'd want to buy it or not though, probably would largely depend on pricing. Didn't realize it was so recent it was opposite voyager.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks