Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Nowhere Man coming to DVD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
86 replies to this topic

#1 of 87 OFFLINE   Todd Stout

Todd Stout

Screenwriter

• 1,034 posts

Posted April 03 2005 - 06:52 PM

I know this show has been discussed here on the Home Theater Forum in the past but I can't find any of the old message threads.

Anyway, it appears as though Nowhere Man is finally making its way to DVD by the end of the year. I'll definitely be picking this one up. I'll finally be able see the episodes that I missed when it ran on UPN nearly 10 yeras ago.

Nowhere Man - Early Rumors About Early UPN Show Coming to DVD

#2 of 87 OFFLINE   PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted April 03 2005 - 08:49 PM

That's fantastic news if it pans out. I love this series - it was sort of an American 90's version of The Prisoner. Posted Image

But I still remember how VR5 (a contemporary of NM) got rumoured for release and then pulled, so I'll only start celebrating when the discs are in my hands!

#3 of 87 OFFLINE   MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted April 03 2005 - 08:53 PM

Great news. Hope it's true.

Nowhere Man was one of the most astonishingly brilliant shows, a regular dose of paranoia that equaled and even bettered The X-Files (and that was back when X-Files was at its best).

And then the cliffhanger - just when they seem to have revealed too much about the central mystery, they threw in a great cliffhanger that completely left you stunned and desperate to know what happened next.

There was talk about a couple of TV-movies to provide some kind of resolution, sadly that never happened.

I would definitely buy this one.
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#4 of 87 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted April 03 2005 - 11:19 PM

Nowhere Man was probably the best -- yet also lowest-rated series ever on UPN at a time when the broadcast network was new. Usually airing back to back with Star Trek: Voyager, it only lasted for 25 episodes during the entire 1995 to 96 season, and starred Bruce Greenwood as a man named Tom Veil, whose own identity is taken away from him. He is betrayed not only by the U.S. Government, his wife, boss, and everyone else who was paid off and / or threatened by whatever agency it was that did this to him.

A turning point in the series comes comes about halfway into the series when a stranger gives Veil a laptop computer with which he is sent clues to get to the bottom of the conspiracy!

The episode guest starring Dean Stockwell as another "Nowhere Man" who helped Tom was a memorable one. So was the story in which the guy was reunited with his scheming wife!!

I should point out that this series is really is NOT like The Prisoner except in one episode only in which Tom joins a small town community which is run by a mysterious unit of the military. His prisoner ID # just happens to be 6! Posted Image

Nowhere Man's season-ending cliffhanger was an incredible one that I won't reveal here, and I'd hate to think they never filmed a conclusion to it since the show was cancelled.

Greenwood has had more luck as a character actor in feature films, most notably in Rules of Engagement as the crooked National Security Advisor.

#5 of 87 OFFLINE   John Swarce

John Swarce

Second Unit

• 475 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 01:21 AM

This one has been at the top of my wishlist for a long time! Hope the rumors are true!Posted Image

John
"Things you own end up owning you" --Fight Club

You are what you are when no one is looking...

#6 of 87 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,933 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 02:17 AM

A nice extra would be for the creators to explain what would have been the resolution for the cliffhanger.

Also, if true. This hopefully bodes well for other UPN shows to come to dvd.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#7 of 87 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 04:10 AM

Nowhere Man was Created by joel Surnow, Surnow went on to do 24.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#8 of 87 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 05:07 AM

Joel Surnow and Robert Cochran did La Femme Nikita before 24, and that was also a well-done series.

#9 of 87 OFFLINE   David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 05:09 AM

I've always wanted to see this show (didn't have UPN back then- lucky enough to get Voyager).
ENTERLINE MEDIA (entertainment articles and DVD/Movie/TV show reviews)

#10 of 87 OFFLINE   Mike Graham

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 06:03 AM

Dave said:

Quote:
Nowhere Man was Created by joel Surnow, Surnow went on to do 24.

Wasn't it Lawrence Herzog who was credited with creating the series, while Surnow served as producer? I believe both went on to write for 24.

This is fantastic news if it turns out to be true! This was easily one of my favorite TV shows of the 90s.

#11 of 87 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 07:14 AM

Yep, Herzog created and was Executive Producer of Nowhere Man and Surnow was a co-Executive Producer and a writer.

#12 of 87 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 11:57 AM

An easy decision to buy this one.

Bruce Greenwood was great in Exotica and The Sweet Hereafter too.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#13 of 87 OFFLINE   PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 02:58 PM

Quote:
I should point out that this series is really is NOT like The Prisoner

I was referring to the same vibe of paranoia present in both series. Of course the story formats are different. Posted Image

#14 of 87 OFFLINE   Don Peskin

Don Peskin

Stunt Coordinator

• 190 posts

Posted April 04 2005 - 11:05 PM

Loved this show too but don't know if i'd get the dvd set. I hate when a show is cancelled without tying up loose ends. It was frustrating when UPN cancelled the show, do I really want to relive that?

#15 of 87 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,933 posts

Posted April 05 2005 - 01:41 AM

Someone at the Nowhere Man site on tv tome. Thinks that the show was meant to end when it did. I never saw the show so I have no idea.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#16 of 87 OFFLINE   Todd Stout

Todd Stout

Screenwriter

• 1,034 posts

Posted April 05 2005 - 08:03 AM

I started watching Nowhere Man regularly about halfway through the season. For some reason I never got around to watching the final episode even though I do still have it recorded on VHS tape from when it originally aired. Maybe I should wait for the DVD set to come out.

#17 of 87 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,841 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted April 05 2005 - 08:28 AM

I remember watching Voyager every Monday night and seeing the promo for Nowhere Man. For some reason, the only image of the show that sticks in my head is a bunch of people being hung in a jungle.

Now, if this is coming out, why not bring out the wildly imaginative and fun Deadly Game with Christopher Lloyd or Legend with John de Lancie? I'd pass over Pig Sty and Platypus Man, for the record.

#18 of 87 OFFLINE   Michael_CPC

Michael_CPC

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted April 05 2005 - 11:45 AM

Quote:
The episode guest starring Dean Stockwell as another "Nowhere Man" who helped Tom was a memorable one.

This is so crazy; I was in that episode as Stockwell's grandson, I barely remember it. It would be really cool to be able to watch the series now that I can understand it. Let's hope it comes out on DVD!

#19 of 87 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted April 05 2005 - 02:38 PM

Quote:
I remember watching Voyager every Monday night and seeing the promo for Nowhere Man. For some reason, the only image of the show that sticks in my head is a bunch of people being hung in a jungle.

Those men that were hanged in a South American country tie into an important part of Tom Veil's past, and also gives the conspiracy against him some meaning!

Quote:
Now, if this is coming out, why not bring out the wildly imaginative and fun Deadly Game with Christopher Lloyd or Legend with John de Lancie? I'd pass over Pig Sty and Platypus Man, for the record.
All unsuccessful UPN series, and Deadly Game is the only one I never saw. Legend was a western that starred Richard Dean Anderson, during his low period between MacGyver and Stargate: SG-1.

#20 of 87 OFFLINE   GarySchrock

GarySchrock

Second Unit

• 294 posts

Posted April 05 2005 - 03:36 PM

I loved this series, which is naturally why it was cancelled. Don't know if I'd want to buy it or not though, probably would largely depend on pricing. Didn't realize it was so recent it was opposite voyager.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow