-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Warners-Time To Release "Shoes Of The Fisherman"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted April 03 2005 - 04:04 AM

As we honor the life and memory of Pope John Paul II, it seems to me that Warners should consider more strongly to giving this 1968 film a DVD release at last. Though plodding in many areas, it is a fascinating look at the inner workings of the Vatican and also tells an eerily prophetic tale of the impact on world events caused by the elevation of a Pope from a Communist nation (this more than a decade before John Paul's unexpected elevation).

The Rome cinematography is outstanding as is Alex North's score (which recycled his main theme from his rejected score for "2001: A Space Odyssey").

"Shoes" did not place high in the polling for the titles Warners was considering and eventually released but I think its time they give this another look because I think more would be interested in seeing it now.

#2 of 2 Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,931 posts

Posted April 03 2005 - 05:25 AM

An oddity about the filming of this movie. TCM has also shown one of those ten minute "making ofs" done at the time of the film. It shows them on location in Rome shooting the film in Super Panavision. I was pretty sure this was shot 35mm and blown up to 70mm later and on another newsgroup, put this question out.
Dick May, in charge of restoration at Turner confirmed that the negative for this film is indeed 35mm. Another mystery.
After all that, I would love to see this film on dvd complete with Overture, iNtermission music and exit music and with the ten minute making of.
this film has a great underrated performance by Anthony Quinn, right up there with his other underated performance in Barabbas.