What's new

West Wing Season 4 - new packaging details (1 Viewer)

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Haven't seen this mentioned, but West Wing Season 4 has a new style packaging than the previous 3 seasons. Instead of the four-disc foldout, it is now the "book style" six panel case, sort of like Star Trek: DS9. And yes I said six panel, because hallelujah, there are no flippers in the set. Six single-sided, (presumably) dual-layered discs. I really disliked the flippers, and only wish they had done the previous three seasons this way. The outer case is like the others, and they look good onthe shelf together, although S4 is a tad thicker than the previous boxes.

Can't wait to tear through this season like the others.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Glad to hear it. Well, this is the final Sorkin season. I've not seen any episodes from it yet, which is why I haven't felt like I should watch the 5th and 6th seasons. There would be too much continuity-wise I'd have missed. But I own the first three, so I'll be picking this up too. Probably just not on release day.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i got it too, but haven't watched any episodes yet.

the new packaging is GREAT. i hated the fold-outs because they were so akward - this style is much more compact. plus, from the oustide it looks just like the past seasons.

Rob T

Screenwriter

did you get a booklet?
I hope they just didn't make one at all for this set.

RickB

Grip
I picked this up Tuesday nite on the way home from work and we watched the first two episodes. I was extremely pleased with the single side discs and no foldouts. Those foldouts make it so hard to remove the discs, too. The discs are very clean as well, I remember having "scuff" marks on many discs within one of the earlier sets I bought.

I wish all these multiple disc sets came this way!

EricW

Senior HTF Member
mine didn't have a WW booklet (only coupons) so maybe canadians got stiffed.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I'm so glad that they're moving away from those horrible B5/Smallville/Gilmore Girls cases to these stacking trays. I've had more scratched discs from those crappy cases than every other case combined. I've been pestering Warner to stop using those almost since they came out.

Gord

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
So it's that time of the year again.

Almost exactly a year ago, Warner forgot to include the booklets on both Gilmore Girls Season 2 and Smallville Season 2. In both cases, only Canadian sets were affected. Sounds to me like they messed up again, which does not bode well for the the upcoming releases of ER Season 3 and Gilmore Girls Season 3. However, back then Warner were kind enough to mail the missing booklets. I'm sure the contact address is still available in the corresponding thread(s) on this forum.

Chris

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Meh, no booklet in mine, but all of the discs were there, so I suppose that I don't really care.

I definitely like the single sided discs though. I wonder if the reason for the change was that people were getting confused about which episodes were on a particular side? Either way, I know that the dvd-18s always seemed a little more fragile than the 9s. Plus these ones are a little easier to read.

Glad to hear that there's no syndication delays on future seasons though, which I take to mean Season 5 in the fall, and season 6 next spring. I only ever saw up until part way though season 4, so I'm starting to catch up to episodes I haven't seen yet. Keep em coming!

EricW

Senior HTF Member
just watched the first episode: something funny is the menu on the first disc has a "hittable link" for special features, but when you press it, it goes to a screen that's empty and says 'go to other discs for special features"...

MichaelColvin

Stunt Coordinator
This season has some great episodes in it. I love the new style packaging - it looks classier than seasons past without disc art.

FYI, there is an easter egg if you hit "toby's tie" on disc 2 in the commentaries section. It's about Joshua Malina and the practical jokes they play on set.

The extras are also great - I love the first lady featurette (although Stockard Channing's hair is something left to be desire. what was she thinking being blond like that? eek!)

I love WW and am thrilled to see this season out. It's great on to see on DVD especially because of the episodes "Commencement" where there are the brief flashes of Zoey being kidnapped with the negative being white on black, and the 3 frames of exposure. It's so powerful and fast - it's great to see her eyes in that. It perfectly captures the fear.
It's great to see in High-Def.

Can't wait for the next two seasons to be released.

Sanj K

Grip
There's also another Easter Egg, I'm afraid I can't remember on which disc, I'll try find it but basically you press left on one of the commentaries menus and it highlights a picture frame. When you press this you get a short featurette about how Martin Sheen can't remember their names.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I tried to take it back today, but wal-mart wouldn't let me due to new policies! :angry:
so I hope we can get the booklets in the mail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks