What's new

The REAL July Criterions! (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Thanks to Camposanto at the Criterion Forums for this:

http://img169.exs.cx/img169/3909/criterion25gs.jpg

292: Unfaithfully Yours (1948, Preston Sturges)
293: Au Revoir Les Enfants (1987, Louis Malle)
296: Le Notte Bianche (1957, Luchino Visconti)
298: Gate of Fleash (1964, Seijun Suzuki)
299: Story of a Prostitute (1965, Seijun Suzuki)

It was just the other day that I was bemoaning the lack of Malle on DVD, so I'm on cloud nine now! I'm also a huge admirer of Visconti and Le Notte Bianche is one of his very best and I was hoping Criterion release it. I already have the excellent UKR2 edition of Unfaithfully Yours, so unless the Criterion has something extra-special on it, I'm happy with my R2.

August will probably include Powell & Pressburger's, A Canterbury Tale and The 49th Parallel.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
What? No Manos?! :angry: ;)

Thanks for posting this, Gordon. Criterion Au Revoir Les Enfants, :emoji_thumbsup:!

RyanZ

Stunt Coordinator
So glad to see "Unfaithfully Yours" - an underrated Sturges classic.

Armin Jager

Stunt Coordinator
LE NOTTE BIANCHE, the only Visconti I could never get my hands on. That and the Sturges will be mine :).

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Awesome! Been waitin' a long time for Au Revoir Les Enfants. The Unfaithfully Yours disc will have to be pretty special for me to replace my R2 version.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Though I'm mostly excited about the two new Seijun Suzuki's (sold!), I'm pretty curious about the others as well. Still haven't seen any Visconti or Malle yet.

I saw Story Of A Prostitute in the list of Criterion speculations, but thought it was way off in the future. Kewl.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Just picking up Unfaithfully Yours :emoji_thumbsup: in this batch. The rest are just rentals for me.

At least Criterion is going easy on my wallet this year with one or two must-buys a month. I'll need the extra cash for all the Warner box sets coming out. :D

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member

Unfortunately, Criterion has gone very, very easy on my wallet for a long time now. :frowning: Here's hoping that changes soon. I'd love to be able to give them some of my money again, and all it takes is releases like they used to do. I drool just thinking about a Criterion version of Ninotchka or The Blue Dahlia or Hail the Conquering Hero or Night Train to Munich, or the long rumored, but still not here new and improved Tatis.

Frank*C

Grip
Nice news on future releases, but I wouldn't take any wagers that these will be the July releases. Criterion spine numbers often don't coincide with actual release dates. An example would be King of Kings #266 released 12/07/04 and Kagemusha #267 released 3/29/05. I wouldn't be surprised if A Canterbury Tale and The 49th Parallel are announced for July and some of the other titles don't see light until Sept. or latter.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
"Unfaithfully Yours" airs about once every month or two on the Fox Movie Channel, and I end up watching all or most of it via Tivo every time. I'm glad it will be getting the Criterion treatment. I was considering just leaving it on my Tivo next time, anyway. :emoji_thumbsup:

Regards,

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Just wanted to add my excitement at Au Revoir Les Enfants finally seeing the light of day, and on a Criterion edition to boot!! :emoji_thumbsup:

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Could this be the start of a Criterion Rohmer rollout? I would love to see "Murmur of the Heart", the moral tales, and the "seasonal" stories (is that what they're called?). The "seasonal" titles are coming this summer in the UK from Artificial Eye (I think)...

Tim_C

Stunt Coordinator
I'm certainly not going to be giving as much money to Criterion as I will to Warner, but that doesn't mean I'm disappointed in the Criterion lineup... Just on their Coming Soon page I see six DVDs that are "must owns" for me: "Burden of Dreams," "F for Fake," "Hoop Dreams," "Jules and Jim," "Heaven Can Wait," and "Au Hasard Balthazar. Not to mention several more I would like to rent. In the past few months I've purchased "The River," "Kagemusha," "L'Ecclise," and two films by Jules Dassin.

If this list of July releases is real I'll be picking up "Au Revoir..." and "Unfaithfully Yours."

The point being- I don't think they've stopped putting out high quality releases of great films, even if they're not always for our individual tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks