What's new

*** Official SIN CITY Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Mike.P

Second Unit
There is a sneak preview about 5 minutes away from me tonight, and I just heard about it about an hour ago - I'm thinking of driving over there and demanding tickets, since its so close :).

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I l-o-v-e-d this movie, albeit not for the reasons I was expecting. I think most of you guys will have a freaking BALL with this flick. Enjoy!

Also, there's an interview piece with Robert Rodriguez over at JoBlo's and here's what the director had to say about the DVD:

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Great news. I figured Weinberg would like this one. He likes the blud and guts!

Ebert gave it :star: :star: :star: :star: here

Can't wait. Great news about the DVD breaking out each story. I'll be interested to see how RR weaves them in the film.

Take care,
Chuck

Mike.P

Second Unit
Ok, some things I'm really getting annoyed with in movie reviews.

I've read a few of the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, the negative ones, to see how people could not love the Sin City stories.

Exactly as I expected, all the knocks are against the violence and the sexism.

I just love how I've read several reviews who said the movie was entertaining and cinematically well done, but all that darn violence was offensive and unnecessary.

Oh well, to each their own, I guess I now know which movie reviewers look for the same things in movies as myself :).

Ebert's review was outstanding, might I add, as I just finished reading it 10 seconds ago.

Roger_C

Stunt Coordinator
I just caught the end of an interview on NPR this morning. They said an extended interview is on-line, but I haven't found it yet.

edit(Friday stories posted at 8:30 est)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Sin City" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Sin City" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Went to the midnight showing last night. Thankfully I got there about 40 minutes before the show, because to my surprise, it was sold out by the end, and the theater was packed tight. The film was of course incredible, and I will try to see it again later. Glad they're already thinking of making more, and the DVD will be mine as soon as it's released.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Also caught a midnight show and had a blast.

Carla Gugino. 'Nuff said.

I saw Jessica Alba on Letterman and she mentioned that in the novel, Nancy dances topless and bottomless (chaps only), and that it was up to her, but she thought it would be distracting. I agree, it would have been distracting. I would like to have been distracted.

No comeuppance for Michael Madsen's character?

One problem with the midnight crowd: college girls behind me making Frodo jokes.

ShaunLB

Stunt Coordinator
Oh man, that was a good flick. Visually incredibly, great acting, and innovative violence that keeps "mundane" gun and knife combat thrilling. More films could use this kind of life!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

The DVD looks like it is going to be sweet. The theatrical cut plus all the stories as complete separate "short stories". Now those are going to be nice little "extras". Wow.

Looks like I'm going to be heading out to the theatre for this one.

Mike.P

Second Unit
Just got back a half hour ago from a mid afternoon screening.

What a blast, will probably go see it again sometime tonight.

Also, the DVD release sounds rediculous, will be awesome for watching the stories seperate when you don't have a lot of time/energy to watch the whole movie :).

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I decided to skip the gym and go see this instead of waiting until sunday.

I think its RR best stuff to date. The Marv story was amazing(although I wish the scene when he goes home to get Gladys and his mother comes in was there) and I liked Yellow Bastard but I found Fat Kill to be disappoiting.And long. I dont think its RR fault thought, I never really cared for the story itself so thats probably why.Marv and Yellow Bastard flew by. Big Fat Kill dragged a bit.

Absolutely amazing how some of this stuff came right off the page, panel by panel. WOW

One thing I noticed and really liked was in the alley scenes, when someones shadow falls on bricks, it highlights the grout between the bricks, like the comic book. Very cool.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Not being a comic-book person, I had barely even heard of Sin City before the movie buzz started, and I didn't know much of anything about it going in, aside from there being lots of over-the-top violence, deviance, etc. Wow, this is a great movie, just incredibly stylish and intoxicating to watch. The noir influences are obvious, but this is a whole world unto itself. A little heavy on the extreme crotch violence for my taste, but hey, I'm a big boy, I can handle it. :) Really liked how all the stories came together, I wasn't sure whether to expect that or not, as there wasn't much of it until the last Bruce sequence.

Random thoughts on casting, and other things:

Some of the ROTK:EE extras talk about Elijah's legendary staring ability, which I assume they had in mind when they cast him. Very creepy to see this cannibalistic killer just fixing his gaze on people. But, as I mentioned once in the pre-release thread, I still think that when his face is cast in shadow, like when you first see him entering Marv's room, he looks like Tobey Maguire!

OK, there is no way that I'm the only one who thinks this: doesn't the Yellow Bastard bear a striking resemblence to Quark from Deep Space Nine?! The last sequence was very involving, I was certainly on the edge of my seat, but every now and then I just couldn't help but think, "Ahhh, it's Quark, come on, what's Quark gonna do?" :D

The next quote is from Chuck Mayer in the review thread:

And speaking of digital, I don't think I even knew that this was all shot digitally--obviously there were lots of backdrops and effects that were done that way, but I didn't realize until I read Ebert's review afterwards that no film was involved at all. It looked incredible! This certainly seems like the kind of movie that can benefit from that treatment--wouldn't the post-production costs have been a lot higher if it had been on film? If it can look this good, and can be made cost-effectively with digital, then thumbs up on that technique from me.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
OK, regarding Quark and Yellow Bastard:

:D

Alright, another serious point: I didn't recognize Rutger Hauer as Cardinal Roark during the movie, but thinking about it afterwards, isn't there a Bladerunner vibe here? Roark basically gets his face crushed by Marv, and in Bladerunner, it was Hauer as Roy Batty who did the face-crushing, in Tyrell's office.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
Saw this last night. Absolutley Incredible. I was riveted. I can't believe what a perfect representation of the books this film was. Can't wait for the DVDs. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks